Author Topic: TR Bell Crags, Ullscarf, Calf Crag and Steel Fell Sun 10 Jun 18  (Read 1298 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We overslept and didn't wake up until 7.30. We were supposed to have been up and away by 8! We had wanted to get on the bus just before 1pm and before the rain started. As I suspected my back had seized up and it took a while for the pain killers to kick in and get it moving again. We had our breakfast outside, it was too warm in the tent, what a hot start to the day, only 8am and it was sweltering! The wind picked up now and again to keep the midges at bay thankfully. We packed our gear away and were gone by 9.20.

Standing Crag ahead

Looking back at Bell Crags

Standing Crag summit

We were on our way up Ullscarf, we wanted to do Calf Crag and Steel Fell too. It was getting hotter and hotter, we just aren't used to this heat!

Pillar, High Stile, Fleetwith Pike and Dale Head in view

We saw the first people since we'd left the group on Armboth the day before. The man said he recognised us from the forum :) He said he wasn't a member, he was a lurker  ;D It was nice to meet you, Mr Lurker, we hoped you both enjoyed the rest of your walk.

Scafell Pike to Great Gable

Beefy on Ullscarf

We stopped for a break and a brew on the way down to Greenup Edge. It was windy enough to keep the midges away for most of the time.

Esk Pike, Scafell Pike and Great End from our lunch spot

Descending to Wythburn from Greenup Edge

We could have gone down Wythburn so we could still catch the bus at 12.52 and avoid the rain but we decided to go over Calf Crag and Steel Fell and get the next one an hour later. Hindsight is a wonderful thing   ;)

Calf Crag ahead

Beefy on Calf Crag

This very nice couple moved so we could get a shot of the summit. Thank you  O0

Steel Fell below Helvellyn and Farifield

Tarn on the way to Steel Fell

Beefy on Steel Fell summit

It had been getting very hot again on the last climb. Beefy was impressed that I'd said it would take us 45 minutes to get here from Calf Crag. It took exactly 45 minutes  :o

Thirlmere from Steel Fell summit

Grim over toward Coniston fells and Langdale Pikes

We could hear thunder in the distance. We started the descent down the north ridge of Steel Fell

Thirlmere from the descent to Steel End

There is a lovely view of Thirlmere from here. We felt the air get colder as we descended.

Black cloud above Dollywaggon Pike

It was shortly after this shot that the heavens opened and the heaviest, most torrential rain I've been out in poured down on us. We were soaked in a minute. No time to get waterproof trousers on, our trousers were saturated by the time we thought about getting them on. My jacket had been unzipped and my top was soaked under it. The biblical rain continued for about 20 minutes, we cursed our luck. Another 20 minutes and we would have been on the bus. We got on the bus, the bus driver laughing at us because we were so wet. We left a couple of puddles on the bus. We couldn't wait to get home so we could shed the wet gear. I managed to change my wet top on the next bus so it was just my legs that were wet. Our route was Bell Crags - Ullscarf - Greenup Edge - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Steel End - Armboth road end. 12.5km with 397m ascent. We enjoyed the weekend except for the sting in the tail at the end  ;D
If only we hadn't slept in and we really should have descended through Wythburn, we would have avoided the rain.

PS Midge bite count, Beefy had one or two, I had about 7. Considering how many were about, that isn't too bad. Better a midge bite than tick bite.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
great pics Ape O0
we had a lot of fun despite the midgies,
yeah midge bites are better than 7 ticks ;D
keep on impressing me ya bogger :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

photonut

Nice TR of a really great route.  Sorry to hear you got drenched, those short downpours were incredibly heavy  :( .. no lightning though :)

Is it a made path between Greenup Edge and Calf Crag, or simply a well trodden track?

Cheers
Lee
« Last Edit: 09:00:53, 13/06/18 by photonut »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Another great write up April - sorry it ended with a soaking! Overslet eh - started taking the three litre bladder of wine have you?

April

• Veteran Member
keep on impressing me ya bogger :D

;D I'm not normally that accurate

Is it a made path between Greenup Edge and Calf Crag, or simply a well trodden track?

There were bags of stones on the path, they are doing repairs on it at the moment, it does need some work on the path, it is well eroded in places. The pitching we saw was good, flat level stones.

started taking the three litre bladder of wine have you?

;D Now that's an idea, I don't mind beefy carrying it  ;)
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Hope your back is better soon April

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks Dovegirl, I hope it is too. It seizes up when I sit for any length of time but is ok once I get going so at least I know I won't have any problems doing any walks this weekend. It is still hurting today and I have been trying to do jobs standing up at work instead of sitting  :(
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed that, April.  O0 

Quite the contrast between the morning skies and later in the day.

Lovely to see all the cotton grass - it's been pretty spectacular here in Derbyshire, especially on Brown Knoll. Always puts a smile on my face to see it bobbing in the breeze.  :)

karl h

• Veteran Member
Another lovely weekend with great pics April.  O0

We were only just over the hill in Langdale and didn't see a drop of rain  :)

April

• Veteran Member
Quite the contrast between the morning skies and later in the day.

Thanks adalard, yes it was like two different days  ;D

We were only just over the hill in Langdale and didn't see a drop of rain  :)

You can go off some people  :D
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Great report and photos April O0  That view of THirlmere is class O0

April

• Veteran Member
Thank you Henry  O0
Hate will never win

MikeG

We saw the first people since we'd left the group on Armboth the day before. The man said he recognised us from the forum :) He said he wasn't a member, he was a lurker  ;D It was nice to meet you, Mr Lurker, we hoped you both enjoyed the rest of your walk.

Nice to meet you too!

We did indeed. The Pewits were as dry as had been reported and easily crossed. I liked the section between High Seat and Bleaberry Fell, which seemed to meander pleasantly around the knolls and did not feel as though it would be too bad even in wetter conditions - although I might have to eat those words. It was there that the rain caught us, but we had thoroughly dried out by the time we got on the bus near Castlerigg.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
I was up on Steel Fell and Calf Crag a couple of weeks ago, walked around to Helm Crag , although I didn't go up, but went down at Bracken Hause and then back to Grasmere. Lovely walk.  Getting up Steel Fell was good, because it's just a steady climb, and the views over Easedale from Calf Crag and onwards are awesome. 
Few midges during my travels.  Nice pics though.  Nice reminders of my walk.
 O0 O0

April

• Veteran Member
Hello Mr Lurker  :)

High Tove to High Seat is the worst bit normally but you know that, you did it at 4 years old!  :) Our boots have just about dried out, ready for the next bleddy soaking they will get tomorrow  :(

Great to see you have un-lurked  :D Welcome to the forum MikeG  :)

It is nice to see you with us again dittzzy O0
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy