Author Topic: The Thirlmere Zip Wire Protest Sat 27 Jan 18  (Read 3331 times)

April

• Veteran Member
The Thirlmere Zip Wire Protest Sat 27 Jan 18
« on: 17:15:38, 27/01/18 »
We went to the Thirlmere Zip Wire protest rally today organised by The Friends of the Lake District. We got on the coach at Penrith. We met fellow forum member pdstsp at the Dam Road End where the coaches were dropping people off, nice to meet you  :)

Going along the dam road

I felt really emotional walking along the road here with all the people who had turned up to protest.

The weather wasn't as bad as forecast and the rain was just light rain and we didn't get that wet.
We stopped at the end of the dam where the speeches were going to be made.

Terry Abraham giving his speech

There had been speeches from Laura Fiske, Clare Dyson and two young lads under ten, sorry I can't remember their names, who gave a wonderful speech about how they loved the outdoors and didn't need to have a zip wire to attract them to it.

Douglas Chalmers from FoTLD

TB with Raven Crag behind

One of the protest signs

Two photos taken from a facebook post by somewherenowhere, they were shared by FoTLD so I hope you won’t mind me sharing them on here.

Can you spot us?

We are on this one too!

We also saw Lakeland Lorry while we were waiting for the coaches. Nice to see you again LL  :)

There were Look North cameras there so hopefully the protest will be on the local news later.
Hate will never win

jontea

• Veteran Member
Re: The Thirlmere Zip Wire Protest Sat 27 Jan 18
« Reply #1 on: 17:32:02, 27/01/18 »
Great turnout guys, well done for getting out there  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:35:01, 27/01/18 »
Yes, thanks for representing all of us who couldn't be there.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:26:53, 27/01/18 »
Great pictures April and it was a pleasure to meet you and Beefy - some very moving and heartfelt speeches today, and what a setting even in the drizzle.

Let's hope the planning committee agree with us.

Did you guys get a walk in? I went up Stone Arthur and nearly got blown off my feet on the summit.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:34:28, 27/01/18 »
And it's on Look North,  you can see Beefy side on and the back of my head.  I'm sure you're on too,April but I have only seen it on my very small phone screen!

First "protest" I've been to since 1984, and the first one I've ever been to where nobody shouted Maggie, Maggie, Maggie out out out. ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:49:54, 27/01/18 »
Hello pdstsp, we were lazy and went home instead  :-[ Good for you for doing Stone Arthur  :)

We've seen Look North (North West), a very short report on there, we didn't see us though? Which Look North did you see in Grasmere? Could you post a link to the report you saw if it's online? There will be a lot of peeps interested on here.

Look North (North East + Cumbria) - NOTHING!!! Unless there will be a report on Monday's evening show?  :-\

Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:55:53, 27/01/18 »
Hi April - I found it on the iplayer as we don't get look north in Liverpool - I'll try to find it in the morning and post a link.

Paul

Tin

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:37:48, 28/01/18 »
I'm not a regular Lakes visitor, so can only imagine how I'd feel if something like this were to happen in a beautiful spot in the Peaks..(say) up one of the cloughs on the way to Kinder Scout. I know that's a very unlikely spot and will almost certainly never happen...but you never know what some people are capable of suggesting if they think there's money to be made! >:(
I would be less than happy, more likely disgusted if the Peak Park Authority ever allowed such a thing to go ahead.
I admire and commend all those who took the time to get out there, speak up and show their opposing support.

I only hope you all get the result you wish for.

Tracey :) 

P.S. It's good to see the photos April and just shows how passionately people feel about this issue!

***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:16:16, 28/01/18 »
I only hope you all get the result you wish for.

Thanks sunnydale. It is an important decision for the future of all National Parks.

Thanks Tin, I saw that report on the website, we are seen from behind in the first photo with pdstsp.

Pdstsp - I forgot you were going back to Liverpool!
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:03:08, 28/01/18 »

Hi April - here's the link - about 1.10 in.  Unfortunately they wheeled Turnip out as well.  It's only available until 5.40.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0070g1d?suggid=b0070g1d
I don't blame you being lazy - I got fooled by a temporary parting of clouds, but they soon cam back, gave me a soaking and nearly blew me off my feet!  Still, the beer tasted good last night.

Paul

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:35:59, 28/01/18 »
Thanks Paul, we managed to watch it in the Annan Subway (sandwich shop!) before we caught our bus home. Thank you for posting the link. Shame about Turnip, he was spouting his normal load of garbage!

We did 12.7 miles today to make up for being lazy yesterday  :)
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #12 on: 08:34:34, 29/01/18 »
What a great turn-out for the Thirlmere Zip Wire Protest Rally on Saturday.   I'm so pleased that I made the effort to go.   

@April - Looks like I was only standing a few feet away from you and Beefy when we were listening to all the speakers.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #13 on: 08:43:46, 29/01/18 »
The Evening Mail has a write-up about Saturday's Thirlmere Zip Wire protest rally, including a video of the two little lads.

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/lakes/Lake-District-is-a-national-park-not-a-theme-park-declare-Thirlmere-zipwire-protesters-860e017c-a888-4efa-87d3-b31e139f9f4a-ds

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:14:43, 29/01/18 »
@April - Looks like I was only standing a few feet away from you and Beefy when we were listening to all the speakers.

Everyone had hoods up, it was no wonder we didn't see you. I hope you had a better view of the speakers; we were right behind the Look North cameraman and couldn't see the speakers very well  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy