Author Topic: Cumbria Way  (Read 8183 times)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Re: Cumbria Way
« Reply #30 on: 15:12:37, 28/04/18 »
Whilst doing a non stopper along the Cumbria Way in 2016, North to South I came to Bell Bridge where I needed to cross in order to follow the route. However it was gone, collapsed during the flooding of the previous year. Fortunately a little lane runs parrallel with the river to Sebergham Bridge where the route re-crosses. My mate did the route the other way, later and failed to heed my warning necesitating, rather than retracing his steps back to Sebergham, wading across the deep river.
Ive just looked for an update and am pleased to say that a new bridge was built late alst year.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-42417486

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 07:22:02, 04/05/18 »
7 days to go yippee
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:34:55, 08/05/18 »
Tried a bit of a non stopper along the Cumbria SWay over bank holiday weekend (last W/E)
Didn't go to plan which was no surprise, too much sun and tired legs from the start. I did however manage the first 30 miles from Carlisle to Keswick in 9.5 hours. I can report that at the moment the ground was very dry apart from some areas near High Pike and actually quite hard on the feet. I was impressed with the new Bell Bridge. Before caldbeck or after there if coming the other way, the route is closed due to forestry work. No work taking place as I passed through so ignored it. It is in the area of the famous continuing land slip. I would advise anyone to do their best to ignore the closure as I did as the work being carried out is on the other side of the alongside fence in the forest.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 20:33:25, 08/05/18 »
Thanks Slogger I'm off on Friday.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 07:38:33, 15/05/18 »
Made it as far as Keswick off to Skidaw house today fantastic weather did Cat bells diversion yesterday

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 08:05:12, 15/05/18 »
Glad you’re having some good weather and enjoying it

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 08:06:48, 15/05/18 »
Sounds like you are having a good time,  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 08:34:19, 15/05/18 »
You have another glorious day today madame cholet, enjoy Skiddaw and Dash Falls  :)
Hate will never win

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 22:12:46, 20/05/18 »

After Cat bells decided to take a rest day and a steady plod up to Skidaw house after a wander around Keswick. I loved staying at Skidaw house but decided to take the wet weather route as I didn't fancy a whole day of barren moors and I love twee cottages, lambs and wildflowers. Had amazing weather, finished the walk just past bell bridge and made the last day into a circular as we were staying a 2nd night at Hudscales camping barn. 
I also had great fun riding from Keswick to Longthwaite on the open top bus.
« Last Edit: 22:17:58, 20/05/18 by madame cholet »

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 22:15:08, 20/05/18 »
Overall superb scenery from start to finish I'd like to do the route next time starting north to south. love all the wild flowers this time of year and the cute lambs ahh
« Last Edit: 22:31:54, 20/05/18 by madame cholet »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy