Author Topic: HUBBA NX ?  (Read 1748 times)

zuludog

HUBBA NX ?
« on: 18:42:39, 20/05/18 »
My backpacking tent is a Hilleberg Akto, but it is quite old and battered; patched, and I suspect the groundsheet is seeping water

An obvious choice for a replacement is another Akto, but it is an old design and weighs about 1,6kg; and also the current price is around £500!
Most of my trips now are at low level, like trails, and in summer
So I've been looking at something that is similar to an Akto, but lighter & cheaper

I've found the MSR Hubba NX Solo, which is about 1,2kg, and about £300
The descriptions & reviews look pretty good for what I want - any comments?

Oh, I don't want any tarps & poles or similar lash-ups. I want something resembling a proper tent

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: HUBBA NX ?
« Reply #1 on: 19:37:18, 20/05/18 »

My backpacking tent is a Hilleberg Akto, but it is quite old and battered; patched, and I suspect the groundsheet is seeping water

An obvious choice for a replacement is another Akto, but it is an old design and weighs about 1,6kg; and also the current price is around £500!
Most of my trips now are at low level, like trails, and in summer
So I've been looking at something that is similar to an Akto, but lighter & cheaper

I've found the MSR Hubba NX Solo, which is about 1,2kg, and about £300
The descriptions & reviews look pretty good for what I want - any comments?

Oh, I don't want any tarps & poles or similar lash-ups. I want something resembling a proper tent

I have the two-man version of this. Excellent quality tent.
https://www.naturehike.com/cloud-up-1-ultralight-one-man-tent/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NatureHike-1-Man-Lightweight-Camping-Tent-Outdoor-Hiking-Backpacking-Ultralig/302499632093?hash=item466e6213dd:m:mr-GZK6SRYIjMK9aHfpWo_Q

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:58:32, 20/05/18 »
The Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL 2 Person Tent (Yellow/Ash) Packed Weight: 2lb 5oz/1.05kg is currently on offer at Sports Pursuit for £199.99 (Normal RRP £350) and might be worth a look. Offer ends in 3 days.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/bigagnes-may18?type=Tents

NB You need to register on the site to be able to view offers/prices.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:02:21, 21/05/18 »
In case it's of interest, I'm thinking of selling my old TN Laser Competition. Trail weight around 1kg, plenty of reviews over the years. It's easy to pitch but needs some practice to pitch well.

Like you, I'm pretty much restricted to 3-season backpacking now, including mountains though. I currently use a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 and the relatively high proportion of mesh is fine for that, it's excellent overall.

zuludog

« Reply #4 on: 15:37:48, 21/05/18 »
I borrowed a Laser Comp 1 for a couple of weekends last summer, but I found it was too small for me, and difficult to pitch properly - though lots of people seem to manage OK

But in any case, I've done the deed now
www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk  have an offer - Hubba NX Solo plus footprint, free next day delivery, for £306

Although I got it for 2 to 3 season backpacking, a couple of the reviews on YouTube show that it will stand up to a fair amount of bad weather

Rajboy

« Reply #5 on: 08:13:36, 22/05/18 »

I use the Hubba NX.
Used in South America, no problems.
Tougher fly than the Big Agnes's and more durable groundsheet for use in the UK.
Can recommend...the 2 would be better if you are willing to carry the weight.

Big Agnes great tents.

Both tents have same HH at 1200.

Fly Creek 1 and 2 have only a single pole over to the rear so never good in strong wind as pole liable to collapse, but then choose a more sheltered pitch. The 3 has an arch pole at the rear.

Fly Creeks weigh less.

UK?...Hubba......hope that helps a tad.

Big Agnes more pricey unless you go to Sport Pursuit...sale ends Weds.

Hubbas better for UK, unless you are used to Big Agnes tents.

zuludog

« Reply #6 on: 08:49:19, 22/05/18 »
Thanks for your comments
there is so much choice now that you can go round & round and on & on, but sooner or later you have to settle for something.

As I said, I already have an Akto, though it is a bit battered, and I wanted something lighter for low level backpacking in reasonable weather
But I didn't want a tarp or to import anything myself

EMS had an offer on the Hubba so I ordered that fairly quickly in case the offer expired

I have also been recommended Naturehike tents. If I was on a budget I would seriously consider them

zuludog

« Reply #7 on: 15:29:15, 22/05/18 »
Well, the Hubba came today; well packed and the delivery driver was on schedule

I live in a flat, but as the tent is more or less self standing I was able to sort of pitch it in my living room
The quality & general construction looks good
I'm 178cm & 85 kg; no problems lying down in it, and there is decent room for sitting up & swapping ends
The poles are all connected as one, and have a bit of a drunken octopus effect, but that very connection makes them easier to handle, and I'm sure I'll get faster after a couple of pitches. I don't envisage having to pitch this tent in a blizzard
Pegs are MSR's own 'Nails' which are a good compromise for weight & bulk without the expense of titanium
Besides the flysheet pegging points there are 4 guylines
Groundsheet is reddish -  maroon which is a bit of a shock after the usual black or dark green, but it helps to make the tent a bit brighter. Same material makes the lower part of the inner walls, so in effect you have a deep bathtub groundsheet

All in all I'm happy enough with this tent, and intend using it for real asap
« Last Edit: 15:34:47, 22/05/18 by zuludog »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:19:38, 23/05/18 »
Well, the Hubba came today; well packed and the delivery driver was on schedule

I live in a flat, but as the tent is more or less self standing I was able to sort of pitch it in my living room
The quality & general construction looks good
I'm 178cm & 85 kg; no problems lying down in it, and there is decent room for sitting up & swapping ends
The poles are all connected as one, and have a bit of a drunken octopus effect, but that very connection makes them easier to handle, and I'm sure I'll get faster after a couple of pitches. I don't envisage having to pitch this tent in a blizzard
Pegs are MSR's own 'Nails' which are a good compromise for weight & bulk without the expense of titanium
Besides the flysheet pegging points there are 4 guylines
Groundsheet is reddish -  maroon which is a bit of a shock after the usual black or dark green, but it helps to make the tent a bit brighter. Same material makes the lower part of the inner walls, so in effect you have a deep bathtub groundsheet

All in all I'm happy enough with this tent, and intend using it for real asap

Nice. Looks like a great little tent.

zuludog

« Reply #9 on: 19:36:04, 23/05/18 »
You've heard the expression "like a kid with a new toy"?
Well I couldn't resist spending a couple of hours this afternoon generally poking, prodding, sniffing and fondling the thing

I'm very impressed with the quality of the construction, sewing, and standard of finish

Got used to the pole now (though still indoors). Instead of the more common eyelets in webbing, the pole ends fit into small alloy plates which are also attachments for the guys. MSR call these grommets, and they make setting up very easy
The short widthways pole should lie above the main hoop/arch. It is held in place with a rotary fitting, which means you don't have to worry about getting the main pole the right way up; you just swivel the short pole round if you need to
Also the pole is symmetrical - same shape & height each end

On the rear of the flysheet there is a small pegging loop halfway along the bottom edge. A video recommends extending this slightly to keep the fly well off the inner, and I've done that with a short loop of guy elastic

Getting any item back into the box just like it left the factory is difficult. The footprint has a pouch sewn on, but it's a real fiddle to use - and that's dry & indoors.
I'll probably remove it because -

The supplied bag is a top opening holdall style - a valise, no less
I've been playing around with old stuffsacs and found that I can fit the inner, outer, peg bag, and footprint into a simple tube stuffsac about 38cm long X 14cm dia.
I usually carry my tents horizontally across the outside of my rucsac. If I do this it will not be so wide that it catches on stiles, gateways etc. The poles can go vertically down the side

The tent does not have any semi-permanent small poles like the Akto or Laser Comp, so it would be easy enough to carry internally

So far, I like it. All I need to do now is to use the damn thing!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:53:33, 23/05/18 »
I'm very impressed with the quality of the construction, sewing, and standard of finish

We were too, we have the MSR Elixir 2, it has been a great tent and at £200 a bargain. We looked at the 2 man version of the Hubba before we bought the Elixir but opted for the Elixir, only because it has slightly less mesh and the poles are slightly different, giving a stronger structure and a bit warmer for where we go camping, up on the Lake District Fells, where its windy and cold most of the time.

You have a great tent, happy camping  O0
Hate will never win

MichaelUK

« Reply #11 on: 18:03:15, 27/05/18 »
Just bought the Big Agnes for £174 from Sports Pursuit, the one person version

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy