Author Topic: Stuck in the concrete jungle in need of escape!  (Read 8397 times)

JVB

Re: Stuck in the concrete jungle in need of escape!
« Reply #15 on: 18:20:04, 27/06/18 »
So this was my only area of slight anxiety....
I have a 3l camelback and a sawyer mini filter. Plus some oasis tabs. After a lot of research I felt comfortable that as long as there were no immediate signs of dead animals and other unhealthy brewing options that I should be covered from a purity aspect.

I hadn’t considered the possibility of things drying up..... I had intended on visiting some of the really old bridges and had intended on filling up there in the day and then camping near a water source.

Any suggestions?
normality never interested me....

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:54:50, 27/06/18 »

Any suggestions?

Fill up at every opportunity - even if its only 1/2 litre
When you find out the lay-of-the-land you may find there is still water running and everything will be OK, or there is no water and you change your plans.

The sawyer is all you need, I also carry purification tablets JIC (Just in case) but the taste is awful.
You can always boil the water - after filtering it thru' a sock to get the 'lumps' out.

Get out & enjoy - that's what its all about.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:09:44, 27/06/18 »

The train stations are helpful too. I plan on returning on a Sunday so may be able to use that station.

Any tips for a first time solo wild camper?

Beware - the Okehampton line appears to be run by volunteers and only runs on Sunday. (oops didn't read your post properly)

As for tips - Make up your pack as if you were going to wild camp, and then go to a more local campsite for the night. A good time to find out whether you have forgotten matches, or a headtorch; whatever.
« Last Edit: 19:20:00, 27/06/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

JVB

« Reply #18 on: 19:10:48, 27/06/18 »

Thank you. Really appreciate the feedback, there’s not many people I know I could ask for opinions. Their idea of a hike is to selfridges and back!

This is an idea I had for a route.  

https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.jomosolutions.com%2FMaps&data=02%7C01%7C%7C3f998acf462447ae9f5c08d5dc03fd27%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636656832036804922&sdata=PGCtLO%2Fwn0KpbZVIlPqTfA8JnTykRfmxnrfJxyeynCE%3D&reserved=0 [nofollow]

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:13:45, 27/06/18 »

I'm going to throw you a curve ball here, JVB - have you considered catching a train up to the Lake District? You could get a train to Penrith (3 hours from London Euston), and then walk south through the fells to Kendal (Oxenholme Station), for the return journey.

Wild camping is allowed in the Lake District (up on the hills, at least), and there are plenty of trains - it is the main west coast line.

JVB

« Reply #20 on: 19:19:16, 27/06/18 »
Love a curve ball.... I am game for anything, I just wasn’t sure on spots where I could wild camp. I know Dartmoor isn’t the only place I can go but I thought as it’s the only legal place bar Scotland it was a good place to start. I have ideas (of grandeur) of treking through the black mountains, the Cairngorms, the Lake District etc. I just thought id start where I was allowed before I became a rebel!

JVB

« Reply #21 on: 19:20:10, 27/06/18 »
Sorry for some reason the bottom half of your message didn’t show up until after I’d posted.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:26:12, 27/06/18 »

our messages are crossing in the ether...

Here's some info on wild camping in the Lake District. The National Trust are certainly tolerant if you camp on the fells, and there is a tradition of wild camping in the area.

[/u]

My general advise for wild camping is -

Arrive late, leave early, be discreet, leave nothing.

Do let us know how you get on - why not post a trip report once you are back in the concrete jungle?

JVB

« Reply #23 on: 19:29:24, 27/06/18 »
The thing is and I suppose this is the case most new people starting out on their own to places they’ve never been are in. You see photos of places you’d like to see and hear about amazing locations, it’s just stringing all those ideas together without local knowledge. Which is why I am here, to pick you lovely peoples brains.

I intend on creating a film of it, more for myself to document my little adventure. But if you lot want to have a laugh I’ll more than happily share it with you.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:59:41, 27/06/18 »

You'll find some inspiring Lake District trip reports in this part of the forum, JVB.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?board=4.0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:02:24, 27/06/18 »

Love a curve ball.... I am game for anything, .... the Cairngorms...

Now we're talking!

My recent adventure - http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36669.0

Quite a long train journey though!
« Last Edit: 05:54:31, 28/06/18 by richardh1905 »

JVB

« Reply #26 on: 21:30:23, 27/06/18 »
 O0  Looks amazing..... that’s what I’m aiming for regularly. Just not as fortunate down ‘sooth’ as you. Even the South Downs for me is an hours drive at best.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:51:32, 27/06/18 »
O0  Looks amazing..... that’s what I’m aiming for regularly. Just not as fortunate down ‘sooth’ as you. Even the South Downs for me is an hours drive at best.

Why not stay a bit nearer home for the 1st few outings - Suffolk has a lot to offer from 'pub-walks' to the coastal long distance routes.

You can even wild camp in the sand-dunes, and should pass close enough to civilisation to get an ice cream and top up the water supply

Plenty to choose from here :

https://www.thesuffolkcoast.co.uk/the-suffolk-coast---guide-to-walking

The Suffolk Coast Path (53 Miles)

A walk along the beautiful Suffolk coast from Felixstowe to Lowestoft. The walk passes through the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty which covers 150 square miles in East Anglia and includes wildlife-rich wetlands, ancient heaths, shingle beaches and historic towns and villages. You will pass through Bawdsey, Snape Maltings, Aldeburgh, North Warren, Thorpeness, Minsmere, Dunwich Forest, Southwold and Kessingland.
Highlights on the route include the section around Leiston where you will pass the delightful Minsmere Nature Reserve - one of the UK's premier birdwatching sites. This section also takes you through the peaceful Dunwich Forest, the Walberswick Nature Reserve and the lovely National Trust owned Dunwich Heath. There's miles of footpaths through beautiful purple heathland and coastal views along the pretty Dunwich beach on this section.
Near Ipswich you'll pass the delightful Pin Mill where you can see lots of little boats in the River Orwell and enjoy refreshments at the 17th century Butt and Oyster pub.

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksWalks/suffolk-coast-path-walking-route#

« Last Edit: 21:58:43, 27/06/18 by alan de enfield »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 06:02:26, 28/06/18 »

It's not so easy for me in Orkney - I was up at 0600 that morning; then drove to catch the 0745 ferry. Down the ferry ramp at Gills Bay at 0900, then a 3.5 hour drive through to Aviemore, before getting on the hill in Glen Feshie at 1335.

I am trying more and more to synchronise trips to the hills with visits south to see family; in February I managed to sneak in a walk up Hart Crag and Fairfield in the Lake District on my way back from seeing my mother in Lincolnshire. Not wild camping that time, I stayed at a campsite, but not many people about at that time of year. Good hard snow plastering the fells; what a day!

JVB

« Reply #29 on: 16:59:54, 28/06/18 »
I had thought about picking actual campsites closer to home first of all but then those ideas of grandeur kicked in.... I am kind of committed to Dartmoor for this trip, but this is the first of many and I plan on there being many to come....

I have my GoPro and iPhone with me so will attempt to put something together.....

I have loads of questions I want to ask but keep holding back as that’s what the rest of the forum is for.... thank you for all your input.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy