Author Topic: Friend in need  (Read 610 times)

RonniesRambles

Friend in need
« on: 12:40:51, 07/08/18 »
Hi there,
             New to this forum but I am an experienced walker often taking in over 5 miles per week.
My friend has had a rough time of it recently being the victim of some mental domestic abuse at the hands of his partner. Leaving him to tend their young children often on his own to no reward.
I would like to get him into walking and maybe he can open up his feelings or take his mind off of it. Has anyone got any similar experiences or topics to avoid while undertaking this.
I am afraid that without welcome distractions it could end badly. Thanks in advance.

Walkbuddy

Re: Friend in need
« Reply #1 on: 13:43:21, 07/08/18 »
This situation sounds troublesome indeed. It can be difficult when loved ones are in turmoil.

Walking and fresh air certainly help but perhaps the samaritans would be the best people for him to talk to.

Are the children well behaved? Perhaps he could leave them with a friend or neighbour to get some time to himself?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:25:45, 08/08/18 »
Yes, take him out for a walk.  Nothing too strenuous if it's something he's not done before but something that is totally away from "normal" surroundings.  Make it an "adventure" ... packup, flask, rather than a walk around a local park then Maccy D's afterwards.

Just go for a walk.  Don't have a plan to get him to open up.  He'll talk if he wants to.  If he does, don't be afraid to ask questions, try not to look for solutions for him but ask questions that will make him think of solutions.  It's surprising how conversations go when you're in the middle of nowhere....

... I'm assuming he's confided in you a little already regarding his domestic situation of course...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:10:20, 09/08/18 »

Welcome to the forum.

Just getting out for the walk will be great for your friend, walking is good for stress relief. As Mel suggests, go somewhere a bit different; that in itself will stimulate conversation.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy