Author Topic: Hot weather raincoats? Am I missing something?  (Read 1244 times)

Ronin83

Hot weather raincoats? Am I missing something?
« on: 15:10:59, 12/08/18 »
Didnt want to hijack other threads, so specifically...
What's the point in expensive waterproof jackets for hot weather, expensive obviously because they supposedly achieve waterproofness + better breathability?

If it's really that hot, why keep your head/torso dry anyway? Surely rain is a relief and youd dry off again in no time when the rain stops?

If it's just for comfort or when it may get a tad chilly whilst its raining then why not just use a £20 packable thing which work for showers and are fairly breathable(enough for when itsi "a tad chilly".

Im not arguing against it, just asking more experienced people if im missing something.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Hot weather raincoats? Am I missing something?
« Reply #1 on: 16:42:09, 12/08/18 »
Well for a start off, a lot of things in my pockets aren’t waterproof! Secondly walking soaked to the skin is an unpleasant experience especially when the rain gets all the way through and starts to trickle into places I would rather it didn’t. Third, my clothes take a long time to dry and during that time it is uncomfortable walking in them and they rub. Then there is the issue of wet skin softening leading to chafing. Need I go on? Frankly, in my experience cheap jackets and overtrousers just don’t cut it. They aren’t breathable, it’s like walking in a plastic bag.
Solvitur Ambulando

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:12:53, 12/08/18 »
In theory you're bang on, and this is why people hiking in California etc tend to bring cheap light waterproofs which tend to fall apart quickly in the UK climate.  Also it's worth considering you might be getting 18-25C days but getting a downpour then camping whilst soaked to the skin will make you very cold very quickly.  Lightweight 'hiking' umbrellas for non-windy conditions appear to be on the rise to solve a few of these problems.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:18:20, 12/08/18 »
Hot and raining? Generally in the UK an unlikely combination.  However if you're walking a reasonable distance in a day and it's wet you'll soon appreciate the difference between a good breathable jacket and one that isn't  O0
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:10:54, 12/08/18 »
Today, here, is awful raincoat weather - humid, no breeze and soft intermittent rain.  If I was out walking in this I'd not bother with a jacket.

Ronin83

« Reply #5 on: 20:35:33, 12/08/18 »
Interesting.
I get that if it's warm, but goes chilly when it rains, that would suck, but ive used cheap packaway jackets and theyve been quite breathable. The base layer seems to be more important. Goretex certainly isnt as breathable as they make out anyway. Waterproof AND truly breathable just doesn't really happen in reality I think.

Chafing. A t-shirt shouldn't take long to dry if its good material and it's hot and the water evaporation would cool u down.
When out couple weeks ago, it was very hot and we came across a spring. I soaked myself on purpose, it was lovely.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:13:28, 12/08/18 »
Out on Dartmoor today it was too warm for a Jacket except when stopped.  Rained off and on for the first few hours.  I simply wore my base layer all day and popped my jacket on each time we stopped for a break.  If I had been on my own today I doubt my Jacket would have left my sack.  Personally I am yet to be convinced by expensive Jackets.  I get buy with £40 Jackets from Trago mills.  Worked just fine at -22C wind chill in a 70mph blizzard, last winter. O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:03:05, 13/08/18 »
In the hot weather we’ve had this summer I can’t imagine wearing a waterproof jacket however lightweight and breathable! I’m far too hot with just a t-shirt and shorts. Luckily I haven’t been caught out yet  ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:12:52, 13/08/18 »
Generally I'll only wear my waterproof if it's tipping down.  Once I do it'll come off as soon as possible  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:01:02, 13/08/18 »
In the hot weather we’ve had this summer I can’t imagine wearing a waterproof jacket however lightweight and breathable! I’m far too hot with just a t-shirt and shorts. Luckily I haven’t been caught out yet  ;D

Funny you should say that. Got caught in mild mizzle on Exmoor and yes - I left my coat off and enjoyed cooling effect. Two weeks previously in the same area we got hit by ashower so heavy that we wore full foulies and as a result decided to buy better quality overtrousers as our lightweight nylon versions were just plain unpleasant.

In summer I usually carry a lightweight Wolfskin membrane jacket with mesh liner or a Montane Dyno jacket depending on conditions. Replacement overtrousers are Berghaus Deluge.

There is no way I would wear T-shirt and shorts. The former means lashings of sun block and I hate the greasy feeling and it inhibits perspiration. Shorts are a no/no for the terrain I walk, too many ticks, too much gorse, brambles and nettles.
Solvitur Ambulando

Troggy

« Reply #10 on: 14:24:59, 13/08/18 »
 I'd err on the side of taking a waterproof, even if it is forecast to be hot all day. I've got a couple of Dri Duck waterproof suits and I'd bring the jacket along with me at least, if I was on a day walk. I suppose I expect the weather to be so changeable. If it begun to rain, I think I'd put the jacket on and just have the baselayer under it. The jackets I bought are the Dri Ducks lightweight and breathable jackets from the US firm, Frogg Toggs. Thy are very light and breathable.

I prefer to be dry rather than wet when walking.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy