Author Topic: Uncomfortable rucksacks!  (Read 869 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Uncomfortable rucksacks!
« on: 10:24:47, 19/10/18 »
I have three rucksacks, my second purchase is very good (a Lightwave) but chafes like mad on my shoulders. Ok, I accept it might be the wrong size for my back length, or I may have 'the wrong type of shoulders' but once purchased and stuck with it, I'm sure most people would like to try some innovative idea to remedy such a problem.

So what ideas can be used. I used to fold my spare socks and place them under the shoulders straps, it did help! I talked to one man, a serving Marine, who placed kitchen sponges from Poundland under the straps. I should have tried this but in the end I bought a new one.

Do you own such a rucksack and if so, how do you solve your problem?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Uncomfortable rucksacks!
« Reply #1 on: 11:05:45, 19/10/18 »
I have a cheap Lidl rucksack that I use on day walks.  The waist strap chafes a lot. Solution seat belt pads . They are padded fit around straps as wide as seat belts and fix with Velcro.  Just as usable on shoulder straps.  Look at Pound shop that's where I got mine I think.
If you want a more permanent fix pop into a decent clothes shop and sweet talk one of the staff to fix them with the plastic fixings they use to fasten price tags to clothes.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:54:57, 21/10/18 »
The size of your rucksack may have a bearing, especially if it is a smaller day-sack type. For instance, my smallest is a 30lt which I think is quite a bit smaller in capacity than the stated 30lt, but nonetheless it has a hip belt and if yours has one - maybe this would be key to your problem.

I find that lengthening the shoulder straps until the weight of the sack is taken on the hip belt, which when tightened up around me - ensures my shoulders do little mote than keep the pack attached to me at high level. All the weight is transferred to the padded belt which rests on my hips.

I suppose if you don't have such a belt or a pack that is smaller/shorter - that prevents this weight transfer, you will always be carrying the weight on your shoulders.

Even if you have a thinner strap with buckle for waist fastening, you may be able to fashion a wider sets of pads (such as you describe for the shoulders) that will suffice.

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:12:40, 22/10/18 »
I agree, I still find it surprising how many people tighten their hip belts around the tummy squigy areas. Looks most uncomfortable to me.

Rather be walking

« Reply #4 on: 12:30:48, 22/10/18 »
I use a Osprey Stratos 34, it works for me  O0, very comfortable. I'm 6'1" tall.

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Troggy

« Reply #5 on: 15:06:18, 23/10/18 »
I've got some spare camping mat that I''ve cut a couple of pads off to shove under the straps of the Osprey kestrel 48. The straps on that can twist an bit when loaded up. The pads work ok.

Mines a pint

« Reply #6 on: 11:46:48, 24/10/18 »
 I decided,a good time back,that the only 3 bits of kit worth splashing the cash on are,boots,waterproofs and rucksacks.My main criteria for the rucksack is that when its on I`m not really aware of it while out for the day. I have found the more expensive/branded products fit the bill. I use an Osprey Tallon 22 for summer and a 20 odd year old Macpac (can`t remember the name)of about 40 ltr for winter.
 I know this does not help the OP,at present, but with future purchases it may.

Cheers,Richard

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy