Author Topic: Is any waterproof jacket truly waterproof?  (Read 6383 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Is any waterproof jacket truly waterproof?
« Reply #30 on: 10:11:15, 20/12/18 »
Pleased to see there has been a discussion after all   ;)

There have been some good reviews about Mountain Equipment jackets on here. Beefy has one now. I may get one myself but I would be too hot in a 3 layer jacket so it will have to be one of the lighter weight jackets. May not be as waterproof though?

The Rupal is made of 75 denier GoreTex, whereas the Lhotse is made of thinner 40 Denier GoreTex Pro, reinforced at high wear points. Both have 'pit zips'. I doubt that you would have overheating problems with either, April - I certainly use it in summer as well as winter and have no bother, despite being someone who 'runs hot'.

And yes, always a hot topic for conversation. As proved by Maggot's intervention!  ;D
« Last Edit: 10:15:22, 20/12/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 10:54:50, 20/12/18 »
Ha - Richard you may think you run hot but you've never met me - for some reason I sweat like a pit pony, and any jacket will induce perspiration at a horrendous rate.  I often come across people in the fells wearing jackets when I am in a base layer, and yet I feel the cold at home (weird).  However, the Lhotse is a truly great jacket and the pit zips are a great way of releasing steam  ;D .  Funnily I find it a much easier jacket to control my heat in in summer conditions than a much lighter Rab jacket. It is also far better at keeping out the rain! 

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 11:02:47, 20/12/18 »
Ha - Richard you may think you run hot but you've never met me - for some reason I sweat like a pit pony, and any jacket will induce perspiration at a horrendous rate.  I often come across people in the fells wearing jackets when I am in a base layer, and yet I feel the cold at home (weird).  However, the Lhotse is a truly great jacket and the pit zips are a great way of releasing steam  ;D .  Funnily I find it a much easier jacket to control my heat in in summer conditions than a much lighter Rab jacket. It is also far better at keeping out the rain!
Thanks hot stuff ;D

I cantt say I'm surprised about the RAB jacket the downpour jacket that April bought is rubbish
It's far from waterproof, and the zips are absolutely crap.

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 11:08:27, 20/12/18 »
Long time since anyone called me hot stuff, Beefy Boy :D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:38:06, 20/12/18 »
April - I certainly use it in summer as well as winter and have no bother, despite being someone who 'runs hot'.

Thanks hot stuff  ;)  :D

I'm looking at the names of the ME jackets for women. There is one called "havoc" and another called "quarrel"  :o  :-\  :)
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 12:47:23, 20/12/18 »
Thanks hot stuff  ;) :D

I'm looking at the names of the ME jackets for women. There is one called "havoc" and another called "quarrel"  :o :-\ :)
Is there one called "you know what you did - I'm not telling you!" ?
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 12:58:03, 20/12/18 »
Is there one called "you know what you did - I'm not telling you!" ?

There was one called "No, there is nothing wrong"  :D
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 16:06:22, 20/12/18 »

I have successfully used my Lhotse for short runs in the rain, as well as for several hundred walks. A great jacket for serious use, yet pretty lightweight too.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 16:14:39, 20/12/18 »
Thanks hot stuff  ;) :D

I'm looking at the names of the ME jackets for women. There is one called "havoc" and another called "quarrel"  :o :-\ :)

I couldn't possibly comment on the naming of the women's jackets.  :-X    ;)

I've just had a look on the Mountain Equipment website - the Manaslu is the women's equivalent of the men's Lhotse jacket that I have. 40 denier GoreTex Pro, and the same pockets. Heavily discounted at Gaynors, Ambleside: £263.99, which is a lot less than the normal price of £370 - and less than I paid!
« Last Edit: 07:46:04, 21/12/18 by richardh1905 »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 16:52:33, 20/12/18 »

I have successfully used my Lhotse for short runs in the rain, as well as for several hundred walks. A great jacket for serious use, yet pretty lightweight too.

100% agree.

Maggot

« Reply #40 on: 22:11:25, 20/12/18 »

what you're really asking is - "why won't everyone please agree with meeee"!

No, what I am really thinking is "why are people explaining their very nice jackets are all completely waterproof, just before telling us where the water gets in"  ;D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 22:22:01, 20/12/18 »

No, what I am really thinking is "why are people explaining their very nice jackets are all completely waterproof, just before telling us where the water gets in"  ;D
And this adds what to a very interesting, and to some of us,  important  topic. ?

We all know about necks and hand areas etc and wouldn't be so silly as to think those areas would be waterproof. What
we look for on this forum is solid critique based on real experience. Please note that in the main that is what contributors are doing.
« Last Edit: 00:05:55, 21/12/18 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 06:33:27, 21/12/18 »

What do you wear yourself when you go out in really bad weather for a long walk?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 08:07:30, 21/12/18 »
Well, on 30 November, maggot informed us that his Buffalo parka never let him get wet, in the Rab Latok v the rest thread. 

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 08:35:06, 21/12/18 »

The only mention I see about "where the water gets in" in around the face? That would be the same with most jackets surely?  :-\

What has been helpful on the thread is people posting their experiences with jackets and what they have found to be the best or most waterproof. Perhaps you would like to join in more constructively and give some suggestions of what you wear, what brands you have found to be the best, like others have done?   :)

I am still itching to know what jackets the LD fell top assessors are wearing!

Thanks Richard for the tip about Gaynors. I might have a look in the sales after Christmas, if Santa is nice to me  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy