Author Topic: OS Maps on Bing Maps  (Read 7374 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: OS Maps on Bing Maps
« Reply #45 on: 17:36:25, 13/01/19 »
  Top of my head - difference between true N and grid N?

Or the difference between magnetic N and grid N.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 18:02:45, 13/01/19 »
If you open the OS map and look at the orientation of the grid lines as you run along the south coast from Lands End to Dover you can see the tilt changing.  I suggest it is a difference in the projections being used between the two maps.  I suspect one is mercator and the other is conical.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 18:39:00, 13/01/19 »
Is it only me still uses paper OS maps now?
Nope I still carry a laminated paper map on my walks.  It is really easy to navigate using OS maps on my phone screen with a magnetic compass.  It so handy just line the compass up from the center of the screen to my next way point on those odd occasions when I need to.   I think it is still vital to have a printed map though and know how to use it, so I make a point of still counting steps and using my printed map in very low vision, from time to time.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 18:47:40, 13/01/19 »
If I want to quickly look, either a walk I'm thinking of doing or if someone mentions something on the forum which I want to check, then I'll look at Bing, particularly if I am at work.
For proper planning and for actual walking I always use a full OS map either a waterproof one or a paper one in a map case.
Both of my kids got OS maps for Christmas but perhaps they are influenced by me, they didn't actually ask for them!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 19:38:04, 13/01/19 »
Just looked at the trailzilla routing page, and must say the OS mapping is great considering its free. Its on a large area too.. 

I looked at Trailzilla after your mention of it, as it is a new one to me.
Not sure why you say it's on a large area, as the home page has side bars left and right, leaving a much smaller area of map to be viewed. It reminds me of the old StreetMap with the little bit of map in the middle.
Unless it is full width on the routing page that you specify?
Well I never got to see that, because after the fiddle of registering I tried to look at 1:25k but I was instructed to go to My Trailzilla, where there were more boxes to tick.
At this point I opened another tab on my browser (I had just received an email notification) and then went back to Trailzilla, which again told me I needed to sign in but when I did, it told me fernman was already signed in on another computer??? and I needed to sign out and come back.
That was my first and final experience of Trailzilla. It might be OK for some people but it's too much hassle for me. I can open Bing any time I want without having to sign in, I can look at anywhere and in whatever scale I want, plus it is full screen width.

Edit: I just read the Welcome email I received, which was from SALES@... (my capitals) and it looks like I'll be receiving regular emails from them, no doubt trying to persuade me to pay for things. The only thing I haven't found anywhere is how to cancel the registration, short of using their Contact form.
« Last Edit: 19:56:16, 13/01/19 by fernman »

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 20:45:36, 13/01/19 »
I looked at Trailzilla after your mention of it, as it is a new one to me.
Not sure why you say it's on a large area, as the home page has side bars left and right, leaving a much smaller area of map to be viewed. It reminds me of the old StreetMap with the little bit of map in the middle.
Unless it is full width on the routing page that you specify?
Well I never got to see that, because after the fiddle of registering I tried to look at 1:25k but I was instructed to go to My Trailzilla, where there were more boxes to tick.
At this point I opened another tab on my browser (I had just received an email notification) and then went back to Trailzilla, which again told me I needed to sign in but when I did, it told me fernman was already signed in on another computer??? and I needed to sign out and come back.
That was my first and final experience of Trailzilla. It might be OK for some people but it's too much hassle for me. I can open Bing any time I want without having to sign in, I can look at anywhere and in whatever scale I want, plus it is full screen width.

Edit: I just read the Welcome email I received, which was from SALES@... (my capitals) and it looks like I'll be receiving regular emails from them, no doubt trying to persuade me to pay for things. The only thing I haven't found anywhere is how to cancel the registration, short of using their Contact form.
So you didn`t like it then.
« Last Edit: 21:30:23, 13/01/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 22:36:30, 13/01/19 »
It might be OK for some people

Look, I tried to be polite!!!

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 07:37:25, 14/01/19 »
That's the best policy ;)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 08:26:08, 14/01/19 »

I always use paper OS maps on the hill.

But I do use Bing Maps for planning or reviewing a route.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 14:15:45, 14/01/19 »
I honestly can't remember the last time I used a proper OS map on the hill in anger.  Has to be at least 10 years ago if not more, they are just way to much trouble.  In rough country I still carry one for the comfort of having it but it has been dead weight to keep the mountain rescue happy.  I do carry enlarged printouts of the OS map for my route in plastic sleeves that I can refer to to identify features and use for a how goes it but that is the extent of their use.

I have a good selection of OS maps on my bookcase that I used to use for planning but now, by and large, they are dust magnets or toilet reading.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy