Author Topic: Recommendations for the SWCP  (Read 2863 times)

Theo H

Recommendations for the SWCP
« on: 18:39:46, 14/01/19 »
Hi,

Me and one or two mates will be hiking around the South West Coast Path for a few days after A-Levels this summer, and we’re very much looking forwards to it. However, the main problem we have is that we don’t know which sections to go for.

We’re pretty fit, and intermediate hikers, but we’ll be limited by needing to use public transport, and our budget won’t be huge. We’d also like a few dips in the sea. With all this in mind I’ve tried to start planning a route, but there is so much information available that crunching it and working out where to go seems impossible - even with the official guide.
I’ve emailed the SWCP Association and got a pleasant, but rather unhelpful, response. Could you help us?

Thank you so much,

Theo, 17

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommendations for the SWCP
« Reply #1 on: 09:10:31, 15/01/19 »

Hi Theo

I suggest you start from the beginning! either South Haven Point or Minehead so that at the end of this first walk you will be well placed to continue next time and eventually complete the whole route in sequence. Both ends are accessible by rail and bus as are many places in between.
If you are wild camping then you have flexibility with mileage so just start walking and see how far you get. No need to carry food for the whole trip as you can pick up food/water as you go along - not only in the villages and towns but often in cafes by the beaches. I suggest you carry one day's supply, non perishable, just to ensure a meal each evening.
Swimming? the clue is in the name. The sea is almost always accessible.

Have fun
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Theo H

« Reply #2 on: 11:59:10, 15/01/19 »

Thanks - that’s very helpful advice!     :)  Can I ask what the regulations are around wild camping, or is it a free-for-all?

If anyone has any other tips then still do please let me know

Hi Theo

I suggest you start from the beginning! either South Haven Point or Minehead so that at the end of this first walk you will be well placed to continue next time and eventually complete the whole route in sequence. Both ends are accessible by rail and bus as are many places in between.
If you are wild camping then you have flexibility with mileage so just start walking and see how far you get. No need to carry food for the whole trip as you can pick up food/water as you go along - not only in the villages and towns but often in cafes by the beaches. I suggest you carry one day's supply, non perishable, just to ensure a meal each evening.
Swimming? the clue is in the name. The sea is almost always accessible.

Have fun

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:34:03, 15/01/19 »

Wild camping is not legal :( but in practice if you pick unobtrusive places, pitch late, don't light fires/leave litter and leave early it is perfectly possible all along the SWCP, preferably outside the agricultural fields and obviously not in urban areas.
There is a rather tenuous argument that one night sleeping stops are bivouacs not camping but somehow I doubt that would hold up in an argument.
There are a good number of proper campsites but they can be surprisingly expensive and often not where you need them.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:18:42, 15/01/19 »
Jac's advice is good.  I would start at the Minehead end.  It is but a very short stretch from the station to the start of the SWCP and by the time you have got to Combe Martin you will know if you have the stomach for it!
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy