Author Topic: My Garmin ETrex thinks it is the 3rd July 1999  (Read 2632 times)

joncombe

My Garmin ETrex thinks it is the 3rd July 1999
« on: 21:55:18, 16/02/19 »
I have a Garmin ETrex that I take on my walks. I don't use it much (as my cameras also has a GPS and generates a track log), so I only use the Garmin if I'm uncertain of the way (as the camera does not give OS grid references), but I keep the batteries charged should that happen.
Today when walking a stretch of the Offa's Dyke Path I needed to use it, as the mist descended. Whilst it was giving the correct co-ordinates as far as I could tell I noticed that it thought the sunset was after 9pm. That seems unlikely given it's February and looking more closely it seems to think that today is the 3rd July 1999 and is showing the time in BST (one hour ahead of actual).
I wondered if there was something been done with the GPS signals in the area, but I'm not home and it is still misbehaving and reporting an incorrect date and time.
Given that my understanding is GPS works off a very accurate time signal I can't work out how it has got the time so wrong - and there does not appear to be a way to set it manually.
Is anyone else having problems with their GPS, or is it just mine that has gone weird?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: My Garmin ETrex thinks it is the 3rd July 1999
« Reply #1 on: 00:02:03, 17/02/19 »
I have a Garmin ETrex that I take on my walks. I don't use it much (as my cameras also has a GPS and generates a track log), so I only use the Garmin if I'm uncertain of the way (as the camera does not give OS grid references), but I keep the batteries charged should that happen.
Today when walking a stretch of the Offa's Dyke Path I needed to use it, as the mist descended. Whilst it was giving the correct co-ordinates as far as I could tell I noticed that it thought the sunset was after 9pm. That seems unlikely given it's February and looking more closely it seems to think that today is the 3rd July 1999 and is showing the time in BST (one hour ahead of actual).
I wondered if there was something been done with the GPS signals in the area, but I'm not home and it is still misbehaving and reporting an incorrect date and time.
Given that my understanding is GPS works off a very accurate time signal I can't work out how it has got the time so wrong - and there does not appear to be a way to set it manually.
Is anyone else having problems with their GPS, or is it just mine that has gone weird?

That was supposed to happen on 1/1/2000 (the Millenium bug) and affect everything with 'timers' from computers to watches to GPS.

Maybe your GPS has just woken up and reset itself ?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:50:27, 17/02/19 »
Yes, afraid some older GPS devices act like this.
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:21:13, 17/02/19 »

Does it have a 'clear memory' or factory re-set etc button ?

If so try that.

You don't say if it the Etrex 20 - but if it is here is how to do a re-set.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=garmin+etrex+factory+reset&ie=&oe=#kpvalbx=1

Try taking the batteries completely out of the GPS, wait a few minutes (hour ?) then replace the batteries, switch on.

It may just 'kick-it' back into a 'real-time' start.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:54:36, 17/02/19 »
The latest Etrex won't have that issue, it'll be an old one :)
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:23:17, 17/02/19 »
The latest Etrex won't have that issue, it'll be an old one :)

I looked online for possible answers but your name kept cropping up, lol
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:42:58, 17/02/19 »
 ;D
Where there's a will ...

Pitboot

« Reply #7 on: 15:58:19, 17/02/19 »
I have the same problem with my Summit HC. It will not even reset following the advice on the Garmin website and various "experts" on youtube. Absolute rubbish like most of these gadgets. Good job I never relied on it, map and compass for ever!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:06:05, 17/02/19 »
I have this problem every now and again with my ancient Garmin Venture. I solve it by plugging it into my PC, it seems to resynch itself. Never, ever had any problems with it tracking my routes etc. Unlike where I'm walking I often have a reasonable idea of the actual time and when too expect it to get dark etc, so it has never been a problem.
It is a great back up to my dedicated Viewranger phone (simless), and behind the Garmin is a paper map usually. (Belt, braces and a piece of string)

Too little, too late, too bad......

joncombe

« Reply #9 on: 20:53:29, 18/02/19 »
Does it have a 'clear memory' or factory re-set etc button ?

If so try that.

You don't say if it the Etrex 20 - but if it is here is how to do a re-set.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=garmin+etrex+factory+reset&ie=&oe=#kpvalbx=1

Try taking the batteries completely out of the GPS, wait a few minutes (hour ?) then replace the batteries, switch on.

It may just 'kick-it' back into a 'real-time' start.
It doesn't have any numbers. It's just an ETrex. This looks like the manual for the one I have if that helps.
https://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/eTrex_OwnersManual.pdf
I tried all the reset options it does not seem to have helped. It now says it is the 5th July, but when first turned on, before it had locked onto the satelites, it showed ----- for the date/time so it does not seem to be something it has stored, but rather something it is picking up from the satelites. It is very odd.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 06:30:40, 19/02/19 »
It's the way older devices interpret and display incorrectly the data they get from the satellites. You're stuck with it I'm afraid as your Etrex is one of the very earliest ones.
Where there's a will ...

Maggot

« Reply #11 on: 14:43:46, 20/02/19 »
You think it's gone glitchy now........wait until about 3.15 am 19th of March 2038.  Then you are really in trouble!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:02:12, 20/02/19 »
I assume that since it's a very old device, nobody thinks it worthwhile to hack the firmware (if it can be updated at all, that is).

...wait until about 3.15 am 19th of March 2038.  Then you are really in trouble!

It won't be the only device I'm sure!.
One would hope that  lessons were learnt from the Millenium fiasco - this one is potentially much worse. Mind you, I made some money from that one by being on call from work for a few days.

joncombe

« Reply #13 on: 21:57:29, 20/02/19 »
It's the way older devices interpret and display incorrectly the data they get from the satellites. You're stuck with it I'm afraid as your Etrex is one of the very earliest ones.

Well I'm disappointed. I didn't realise these things have a "sell by date" after which they just stop working properly. I've tried asking Garmin but they want the serial number. I cannot see any numbers displayed on it anywhere (I've checked the battery compartment too). Any idea where the serial number is?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:15:26, 20/02/19 »
Not sure if it will be the same but to find the Unit ID on my Etrex 20, which I assume will be the serial number, I found it by going into my "set up" menu, then clicking the "about" option.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy