Author Topic: How do you get fit for hill walking when you live in flat East Anglia  (Read 3009 times)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
I'm walking about 20 miles at the weekend and 3 miles per day in the week. I can't afford to go to a gym hills normally knock me for six.

Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
The North Norfolk coast area is not flat , it is undulating and it’s easy to clock up 1000 feet of ascent on a 12 mile walk. Better than nothing. I managed to keep myself fit enough for the Lake District and the GR10 along the Pyrenees during the 12 years I lived there.
Find a small hill and do repetitions is another option.
It's all uphill from here.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
One of my climbing partners prepared for a successful Everest ascent by training on the steps of a tower block in St Louis.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
 Step ups on a bench with a 25kg bag of sand across your shoulders.Three half hour sessions a week should do the job.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
Step ups on a bench with a 25kg bag of sand across your shoulders.Three half hour sessions a week should do the job.
;D   couldn't lift that much these days lol im only 5ft 3. I could start going out with a few kg in my sack though.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
One of my climbing partners prepared for a successful Everest ascent by training on the steps of a tower block in St Louis.

I could go up the stairs a few times!

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
The North Norfolk coast area is not flat , it is undulating and it’s easy to clock up 1000 feet of ascent on a 12 mile walk. Better than nothing. I managed to keep myself fit enough for the Lake District and the GR10 along the Pyrenees during the 12 years I lived there.
Find a small hill and do repetitions is another option.

Good idea

I stay with my partner at weekends and found a short hill just off the footpath till I got told off by the landowner.

There is a short section of steep hill about a mile from my house on a footpath I'll have to go up it several times! Thanks.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member

Try walking across 'the plough' (there's plenty of ploughed up FPs in Lincolnshire so I assume some in your area as well) builds up the leg muscles nicely - particularly in wet weather.

Another possibility is to make / buy some ankle weights, we used to make heavy lead 'bands' to go around the horses 'ankles' so they got used to the weight and then at show-time, remove the weights and they would have exaggerated leg movements.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-1kg-WRIST-ANKLE-EXERCISE-WEIGHTS-GYM-FITNESS-RESISTANCE-RUNNING-TRAINING/191909429746?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49926%26meid%3D15856bc14b604e8aba77b695da063b44%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D253450860708%26itm%3D191909429746&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Ive tried the ankle weights in the past , and they place far too much stress on your lower legs, especially the Achilles tendons, and calf muscles.

The best and safest way to develop leg strength, is to go running in sand dunes.

The famous Merthyr Mawr sand dunes in South Wales, just outside Bridgend, saw the likes of Sebastian Coe, Steve Ovett Steve Cram and Daley Thompson in their Olympic Gold prime, train on the largest sand dune in Europe, called the Big Dipper.

Top athletes from around the world who require body conditioning, still visit Merhyr Mawr, as its regarded as the best location anywhere in Europe.

Running or power walking up deep sand will give your body one heck of a physical workout, and unlike ankle weights, will not place direct stress on your leg muscles.

If you want to experience what extreme fatigue and leg tiredness is all about, where the ankle wights for a short distance, the performance gain or lack of it, is simply not worth it.
Even for someone living in the very flat fen country of East Anglia, regular long walks, will still boost your endurance, and build up your legs muscles, and its all mileage in the bank, for more demanding terrain.

If you have never used ankle weights before, i would give them a wide berth, as the amount of pressure they place on leg muscles that are not used to the stress, is not worth experimenting with.

If you want a leg injury, then wear ankle weights.
« Last Edit: 15:13:51, 26/02/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

tonyk

• Veteran Member
 DA wrote [The best and safest way to develop leg strength, is to go running in sand dunes.

A method pioneered by the great Percy Cerutty in the fifties.Sand dunes are at 6.30 on this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKqMRpv7ygc

I would be inclined to agree when it comes to walking or running wearing leg weights.Its a bit like wearing very heavy boots in that the the lower leg is in danger of hyperflexing and damaging the knee.Back in the seventies in karate we used to train kicks whilst wearing iron geta,basically sandals made from heavy iron.Most of us ended up with knee injuries.

However,I think Madame Cholet should take our advice and start running up sand dunes with a 25kg bag of sand on her shoulders whilst wearing leg weights. ;)

BTW,if hills are a struggle just try walking up them slower,one step at a time so your legs get plenty of rest.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Blimey, i thought the Uk was in the grips of a obesity epedemic
I may be wrong, but the old video may well have been shot at Merhyr Mawr, it looks familiar.
Any olympic or current or past Uk world champion you can name, have trained at Merhyr Mawr.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Blimey, i thought the Uk was in the grips of a obesity epedemic
I may be wrong, but the old video may well have been shot at Merhyr Mawr, it looks familiar.
Any olympic or current or past Uk world champion you can name, have trained at Merhyr Mawr.

The video was filmed at Portsea in Australia where Cerutty had his camp.Ovett trained at Merhyr Mawr but I am not so sure about Coe.He trained in the Peak District,mainly doing intervals up very steep roads.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Stanley Matthews who played first class football until the age of fifty, wore specially made extra heavy boots and shoes all the time except when it came to matches when he wore  calfskin boots, again privately made,  they only lasted  about three matches. Also, e was well known for training on Blackpool beach early in the morning. In the old days the Newcastle players trained on the dunes and by running in the sea itself. Supposedly very good for very weak knees and ankles,  beneficial to the circulation also. ( Bleedin cold though)
Too little, too late, too bad......

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
One slight problem with sand dunes the nearest coast is 70 mils away lol. It more my aerobic fitness than legs I'll have to carry an sack and increase my mph. On flat and evel I do about 3mph over 3 hours.
Not sure about ankle weights I wear decent weight leather boots.

Mel

• Veteran Member
If I could be bothered I'd use the weighted rucksack up and down the stairs method... and maybe a bit of cycling.

But I can't be bothered.  So I just take the hills slow and steady.  Keep the same cadence but shorten the stride.  Stop frequently for breathers and enjoy the view.  Works for me.

(I live in an equally flat part of East Yorkshire)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy