Author Topic: Request for easy Lakedistrict fells for very overweight hiker  (Read 27937 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
But your knees are used to carrying you around all of the time.  They are not used to carrying you plus backpack around all of the time. 

Anyway, like I said, t'was just a suggestion (borne from experience)  :)

My weight is quite fluid between a couple of stone so they sort-of are used to carrying varying loads.

Probably good advice. I doubt I'll walk them more than the mile it takes to walk into town and back again though.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Where's good to park in Hilton, Cumbria? I downloaded both of ninthace's traces from haroldstreet.org.uk mentioning Scordale, 1 was corrupt and the other started in someone's yard, I doubt they'd let me park there. Maybe ninthace knows them!

Edit: Nevermind there a car park of sorts in nearby Murton.
« Last Edit: 21:09:10, 20/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Where's good to park in Hilton, Cumbria? I downloaded both of ninthace's traces from haroldstreet.org.uk mentioning Scordale, 1 was corrupt and the other started in someone's yard, I doubt they'd let me park there. Maybe ninthace knows them!

Edit: Nevermind there a car park of sorts in nearby Murton.
This one starts at the car park http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2586. so does this one http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1639.
You don’t need to download them to see the start.
Edit to add:  the parking is just beyond the last house on the left.
Edited to further add.  If you look at in streetview you can see the parking area at the end of the yellow line up the road
« Last Edit: 21:38:12, 20/04/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
I must admit I was quite enjoying ticking off Wainwrights even if they're the easiest ones but I'll keep in mind walks outside the Lakes too.

I confess that I went through a 2000 footer peak bagging phase when I was younger, and I dipped my toe into the Munros, but I really can't be bothered with any of that now - I just like to get out into wild places wherever they are, irrespective of height or whether someone has listed them in a book. I got as much pleasure from exploring a remote valley in the Cairngorms (River Eidart and Upper Glen Feshie) as bagging the nearby peaks. Please don't take this as a criticism of Wainwright or Munro baggers - it is just not for me.

And I do like to visit other areas - one of the disadvantages of living in Orkney is the travel difficulties, so if I am 'Sooth' I'll grab whatever opportunity I can to get up into the hills. One side effect of the long distance travelling that I do is that I would think nothing of travelling from Cumbria to say Snowdonia for the weekend, or even the Southern Highlands. If my house move goes ahead as planned, that is exactly what I shall be doing soon! :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I have walked the North Pennines and the Howgills on days when the Lakes have been full of folk and often not seen another soul.  That's part of their appeal.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
This one starts at the car park
Edit to add:  the parking is just beyond the last house on the left.
Edited to further add.  If you look at in streetview you can see the parking area at the end of the yellow line up the road

I can't see a yellow line but I think I see the parking at 54.5814948, -2.4107839.

This is much better now the walk to Scordale is only 2km (making for 4km of travel). Scordale Head looks like a good point to turn around unless I've misjudged it.

I'll check this out.

I confess that I went through a 2000 footer peak bagging phase when I was younger, and I dipped my toe into the Munros, but I really can't be bothered with any of that now - I just like to get out into wild places wherever they are, irrespective of height or whether someone has listed them in a book.

One side effect of the long distance travelling that I do is that I would think nothing of travelling from Cumbria to say Snowdonia for the weekend, or even the Southern Highlands. If my house move goes ahead as planned, that is exactly what I shall be doing soon! :)

I do like the challenge and achievement of a peak. That's not to say I don't like other kinds of walks, I do, but there's a sense of accomplishment associated with reaching a summit you don't get from exploring lowland areas.

Hope your move goes as planned. I still owe you a beer!

I have walked the North Pennines and the Howgills on days when the Lakes have been full of folk and often not seen another soul.  That's part of their appeal.

I used to like that about the areas I walked down south. You're right, there is an appeal to being remote.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I can't see a yellow line but I think I see the parking at 54.5814948, -2.4107839.

Yes the car park is at NY 73535 20763

The yellow line I refer to is the one you see running along the road in StreetView.  The Google car turned in the parking area.  It is a good track up to the hairpin under Dow Scar, NY 76254 22755.  From there the going gets rougher and involves a bit more route finding, the path comes and goes a bit but follow the beck.  If you manage to pop out at Scordale Head you will have done well.  Have a brew.  The first part of the valley is popular with dog walkers and you may meet the odd walker sneaking an illicit trip to Mickle Fell.

I think I have solved the reason why the trace is a bit out and appears to begin off the road in a front garden.  In 2012 VR only ran on Symbian phones and ate batteries so my phone was usually off.  My Garmin was an Etrex Summit which showed a trace but had no mapping.  It ate batteries too, so that was usually off as well.  In those days I plotted my traces retrospectively - you can tell by the lower number of waypoints.  I suspect the plot was done with a different datum to GoogleEarth.  My guess is one uses British National Grid and the other is WGS84, sussamb may know better.

Just found this in my files https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1911337/160528-Scordale
« Last Edit: 22:41:20, 20/04/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member

The yellow line I refer to is the one you see running along the road in StreetView. The Google car turned in the parking area. It is a good track up to the hairpin under Dow Scar, NY 76254 22755.  From there the going gets rougher and involves a bit more route finding, the path comes and goes a bit but follow the beck.  If you manage to pop out at Scordale Head you will have done well.  Have a brew.  The first part of the valley is popular with dog walkers and you may meet the odd walker sneaking an illicit trip to Mickle Fell.
Just found this in my files https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1911337/160528-Scordale

I thought you might mean the StreetView line but it's blue on the Android phone app.

Should be hard to get lost with the beck there.

Your route is interesting in that it ascends half way up the fell earlier than the route I've plotted. I did think about attempting to climb the fell there but I wasn't sure if there was a path and decided to plot a route following your haroldstreet.org.uk trace instead.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
I should ask how will I know if they're firing up there? Someone told me it's supposed to be when the red flags are out (where do they put the red flags?) but at High Cup Nick there were red flags out when I visited and I was told they're always there and nobody shot me.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I thought you might mean the StreetView line but it's blue on the Android phone app.

Should be hard to get lost with the beck there.

Your route is interesting in that it ascends half way up the fell earlier than the route I've plotted. I did think about attempting to climb the fell there but I wasn't sure if there was a path and decided to plot a route following your haroldstreet.org.uk trace instead.
  Not sure what you mean by ascending the fell, the whole thing is a valley walk unless you are planning Murton Fell too!  The Warcop Range Trace was recorded live in 2015 using my current Garmin so it is good gen but it comes into Scordale from Swindale.  Walking up to foot of Swindale from Hilton is easy as there is good track.  The trace continues all the way up to Scordale Head before it climbs up onto Murton Fell.  Going up onto Murton Fell may be a step to far for you at present, probably better to follow the beck back down.  The up and back used to be a milk run for Mrs N and me.

The range is divided into areas, some for live firing - mortars, grenades, tanks and such.  The area behind as far as Mickle Fell is the overshoot.  Scordale is on the very left hand edge of this area.  Murton Fell across to High Cup Nick are used for soldiers running around, no bullets.  The red flag is at the entrance to the range in Hilton.  Sundays are usually good days and there are guaranteed access days too, published on the web.  Range activity times are also published on parish noticeboards, we had one in Brough near the shop - there will be one in Appleby, probably by the Tourist Office in the town centre.  If you are unsure, the lady in the Range Office was always helpful - she sorted out my legal walk up Mickle Fell.  More information and phone numbers here http://www.murton.org.uk/warcop-range-information/4594028687

PS forgot to answer the flag at High Cup Nick.  The Nick and the PW are not in the range.  The red flag is for info if you thinking of entering the range which is S of Maize Beck and the top of Murton Fell- the edge is marked by big signs at intervals.
« Last Edit: 23:38:44, 20/04/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
I had plotted a route up Murton Fell all save the easy looking last kilometer as I thought it would take too long. Total ascent isn't too much although it's quite steep looking. What do you think is too much about it navigation or how strenuous it is? Technicality? Something else? I'm sure I'll follow your advice and go back down the beck but if I get there early after a good nights sleep and it's there in front of me who knows what I'll do! No you're right I'm sure, coming down that must be a nightmare. I'd have to go another way.
« Last Edit: 23:50:36, 20/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

The Howgills are lovely hills. And the Northern Pennines are just so vast.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I had plotted a route up Murton Fell all save the easy looking last kilometer as I thought it would take too long. Total ascent isn't too much although it's quite steep looking. What do you think is too much about it navigation or how strenuous it is?
  Both.  For you it is a long way and the route from Scordale Head is not all obvious, the climb actually starts as you leave the track below Dow Crag and is 300m in one go.  Remember your last trip took 7hrs to do what most people would regard as a 3 hr trip.  The paths and tracks such as they are, are vague and made by sheep farmers on quads who are not necessarily going your way.  When I went up it it was fairly boggy and peaty too, look at all the little blue pools on the top which is fairly flat and featureless.  I ended up off my intended route avoiding the more awkward bits.  The fell itself, IIRC, is a whaleback which means you cannot see much of your route at any one time so you will in all probability be running off you gps.  Once you are up there though, and have crossed the top, there is a good track down to Murton at NY 74549 23679
« Last Edit: 00:05:38, 21/04/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Good info. I'll probably give it a miss. The longer trip I did the week before only took 5 and a half hours though. I could have spent less time stopped, when I rest my legs I really only need a minute but I took more on several occasions, couldn't find the way on Holme Fell, stopped for a chat, stopped to help some people who were a bit lost, stopped many times just for water. Not every trip of that length will take that long. But discretion is the better part of valour or so some say, not sure I agree but I'll choose cowardice on this occasion not least because I really don't like bog.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy