Author Topic: TR - Isola di Vulcano  (Read 1072 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
TR - Isola di Vulcano
« on: 14:01:52, 10/09/19 »
Not that much of a walk lengthwise, but one demanding much effort in 26C heat and high humidity.
It came about as a result of an 8 days trip that my wife forced me to go on (not really) for our wedding anniversary, to the Aeolian Islands off the north of Sicily. The group of seven islands were all formed by volcanos, of which the best known is Stromboli, that erupted in July. That was very quiet during our visit, just sending up clouds of steam, but it is still on amber alert and tourists are not allowed to land there.
Another one that is still 'alive' is Vulcano which is easily reached by ferry from the neighbouring islands, and of course I just had to go up and see the crater. My wife wisely opted to sit on the beach.

1:20,000 map:

The way is well signed from the port:

Along the road to the start of the path was this enterprise:

But they didn't seem to have had many customers. Most people I saw on the route were sensibly shod in boots or trainers, but I did see a large group in flip flops, and a girl in a swimming costume and long skirt.

View from the bottom. The blue awnings on the right are a bar selling beer and ice cream:

Grim warning at the start of the path:

Higher up:

The first couple of zigs on the zigzag path were a steep climb on grey volcanic ash. Encouraging posts marked the 100m and 200m heights.

But higher up it changed to more compacted red-brown ash where the way was steeper with some badly eroded sections. Without my trusty walking poles (perhaps I should have hired a pair!) I struggled in places, but there were always friendly people to give me a hand where necessary. In fact an outstanding memory of the climb is of the wonderful people I met alomg the way, Italians, Germans, Swiss, French and one pair of Brits.

Nearly there:

Reaching ther crater at 291m an hour after leaving the port was a bit of a fists in the air Yay! moment.

A path around the rim of the crater led to the highest point at 391m:

But remembering the dire warning board down below, I wasn't going to walk through this, not that it deterred some people. Apart from that, I was done for, I wasn't prepared to climb any further.

View from the top, after which it was just a steady plod down, except for the eroded bits where once again people steadied me over the worst parts.

A postscript to the walk is that my black Regatta Samaris boots were turned to grey from the dust, so back at our room I carefully washed them clean and put them on the balcony to dry in the heat. While we were out having dinner that evening there was a tremendous thunderstorm and on our return they were filled with water.
« Last Edit: 14:43:27, 10/09/19 by fernman »

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Isola di Vulcano
« Reply #1 on: 17:46:28, 10/09/19 »
Wow! maybe not long in miles but what a fantastic walk. What is at he bottom of the crater - rock/mud/water?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:54:39, 10/09/19 »
Thank you Jac. There was a flat, grey surface in the crater but it was difficult to say from the rim whether it was water or a solid crust. It was too far away to throw a stone to find out, and I certainly had no intention of going down to look!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:25:34, 12/09/19 »
That’s a great looking walk! Reminds me of the volcano walk on one of the Canary Islands! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:09:03, 13/09/19 »
I always enjoy reading about walking in new and unusual places, Fernman - thanks for posting.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy