Author Topic: Llandeusant YHA; a fab week of volunteering!  (Read 2184 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
Llandeusant YHA; a fab week of volunteering!
« on: 11:11:50, 04/08/13 »
Have just returned after a brilliant week of running the Llandeusant hostel for a week (with Mr Alewife). It is a great little hostel in a pretty remote little spot, which is part of the charm. It was a mixed week in terms of the weather and the bookings, met some fab people and a few quirky ones -  had to dispatch one by ambulance after a bike accident - he's okay and came back the same day; I must say I was relieved when he finally left as he was a lovely guy but a (just about) walking disaster!

I managed a couple of walk days although had to keep an eye on the time - to Llyn Fan Fawr and Llyn Fan Fach and up onto the escarpment behind for some absolutely splendid views. Made a visit to Brecon to see the Ghurka parade on Sunday, and also went to the Red Kite Feeding station a mile from the hostel. We also managed to visit quite a few tea rooms and sampled bara brith and welsh cakes (it would have been rude not to).

I even ran into a couple I knew from my local ramblers - they were walking the Beacons Way with the Brecon Beacons Society - so it was nice to have a catch up.

Would definitely recommend the area, and the YHA hostel. Maybe we should book the whole place at the end of the season for a forum meet-up.

Alewife

...beware of the bull!

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
Re: Llandeusant YHA; a fab week of volunteering!
« Reply #1 on: 12:18:33, 04/08/13 »
Llandrausant YH or the Red Lion inn brings back great memories of when I used to do the Newport Mountaineering Clubs, South Wales Marathon Walk.
Up until 2007 it was one of the oldest continuous run Challenge events in Britiain,having started in the early 1940s.
With the closure of Capel Y Finn Youth Hostel near Llanthony this 51 mile walk over the seven highest peaks in the entire Brecon Beacons National Park,is no longer in existence,which is a real shame.
My first attempt is still clear in my memory,after nearly 16 hrs of continuous walking over the Black Mountains,the Beacons,Forrest Fawr and eventually the Carmarthen Fans ,my legs were so tight that sitting down was a problem.
The Red Lion in Llandeusant was a most welcome sight,and is a great if not very basic place to crash out for the night.

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:19:16, 04/08/13 »
Llanddeusant YH or the Red Lion inn brings back great memories of when I used to do the Newport Mountaineering Clubs, South Wales Marathon Walk.
Up until 2007 it was one of the oldest continuous run Challenge events in Britiain,having started in the early 1940s.
With the closure of Capel Y Finn Youth Hostel near Llanthony this 51 mile walk over the seven highest peaks in the entire Brecon Beacons National Park,is no longer in existence,which is a real shame.
My first attempt is still clear in my memory,after nearly 16 hrs of continuous walking over the Black Mountains,the Beacons,Forrest Fawr and eventually the Carmarthen Fans ,my legs were so tight that sitting down was a problem.
The Red Lion in Llandeusant was a most welcome sight,and is a great if not very basic place to crash out for the night.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:22:34, 04/08/13 »
Sounds like you had a great time alewife  O0

What made you decide to apply to do this?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:21:22, 04/08/13 »
.... Maybe we should book the whole place at the end of the season for a forum meet-up.

I noticed Wayne s is trying to organise a Brecon Beacons meet in September/October time.  Maybe a plan could be hatched?

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:49:06, 04/08/13 »
Sounds like you had a great time alewife  O0

What made you decide to apply to do this?

Hiya.  Have stayed in a number of volunteer run hostels and just thought I'd like to give it a go; it's fairly hard work although we had one night where there were only campers - but you could be full every night with 22 beds and 10 tents which would be even more work. Once the cleaning is done you are free to leave the hostel until 5 pm so we got to go out during the day, sometimes walking and sometimes in the car. It's great for meeting people too and met a good mix of people, many of whom know a lot about the area.

I'm pretty sure they are booked up weekends till after October half term so it would have to be November or in the New Year if we wanted the whole hostel to ourselves -  might put people off due to the day length but it's something to bear in mind.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:03:04, 04/08/13 »
Does that mean you get "free" accommodation in return for running the hostel  :D

.... Although it does sound like hard work... but rewarding, on so many levels  O0

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:32:19, 04/08/13 »
Does that mean you get "free" accommodation in return for running the hostel  :D

.... Although it does sound like hard work... but rewarding, on so many levels  O0

Yep, we get a room (this varies from hostel to hostel, at Llandeusant it was a 4 bedded room) for the duration and a contribution towards our fuel costs for getting there.

If you are interested in doing it you should contact YHA as they are recruiting for next year - you have to attend a weekend training course run at various places in the autumn and spring. You can take a friend or family members when you run the hostel, they don't need to have done the training.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:34:08, 04/08/13 »
It doesn't sound like free accommodation to me!

It is great that you were prepared to do it though  O0
It's not an area I know at all, any pictures?

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:42:55, 04/08/13 »
It doesn't sound like free accommodation to me!

It is great that you were prepared to do it though  O0
It's not an area I know at all, any pictures?

I will definitely be doing it again too O0 

I do have a few pics but not yet on my computer - I'll put them on FB and post a link on here when I've done as I find it very time consuming posting pics up on here.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:19:09, 04/08/13 »
Abs and I have an abundance of catering experience.

Just sayin'.
solvitur ambulando

Nigel l

« Reply #11 on: 18:44:55, 04/08/13 »

Just sayin'.
I quite agree, Abi makes a cracking shepards pie, plus enough gravey to float a boat O0

Raising funds for Llanberis MRT http://www.justgiving.com/Nigel-Laughton

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:36:22, 04/08/13 »

Just sayin'.

Is that, like, Abs cooking it and you eating it then?

Does she have a good recipe for Bara Brith (our new favourite!)
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:58:56, 05/08/13 »
Does she have a good recipe for Bara Brith (our new favourite!)

Yes! :

1) Pick up phone, ring kebab house.
2) Order large donner/tikka mix on nan bread with salad, mint and chili.
3) Replace phone and wait ~30 minutes.
4) Answer door, receive kebab
5) Enjoy!
solvitur ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy