Author Topic: Unfortunate Mishap  (Read 6616 times)

leadenboot

Unfortunate Mishap
« on: 20:23:21, 13/11/11 »
Some months ago a friend experienced a nasty fall - she literally 'fell flat on her face': significant bruising, many stitches, but nothing broken.  Nonetheless, a very painful and incapacitating experience. Apparently, the 'lace-loop' formed on one of her walking boots attached itself to the lace-hook on her other walking boot - no time to put her arms out to limit the impact, just splat!  Have any of you had similar experiences?

redeye

• Veteran Member
Re: Unfortunate Mishap
« Reply #1 on: 20:39:24, 13/11/11 »
No, but it's something that is always at the back of my mind. Not so much the loop catching the other boot but more like catching a corner of a rock or something. I always try a keep my laces short and always checkthem, especially when scambling on exposed routes. I sometimes tuck my trousers into my socks for this same reason (not bothered how daft it looks ::) ). Don't want suffer what you friend suffered. Hope she soon feels better O0

oldboldgeezer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:59:37, 13/11/11 »
Never had that sort of incident myself but it's one that the use of gaiters would help mitigate against

In a similar vein - about five years ago I took a group of youngsters out for a day-walk in The Brecons on a day that was marginal as to whether we should have been equipped with crampons

Anyway, a little below Corn Ddhu summit one of the lads had his hands in his pockets to keep them warm and his feet slipped from under him with a similar but less serious outcome to your friend's experience .. .. as there wasn't any serious injury (except to his ego!!!) it was a hilarious moment and one that he's had his leg pulled about on many an occasion .. .. but it could so easily have been a much more serious incident  ::)
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:41:13, 13/11/11 »
I had a bit of an accident today. A heavy metal gate was unhinged. Obviously I didn't realise this and when I tried to open it it fell towards me. I received a glancing blow to left thigh and am currently nursing a large bruise.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

oldboldgeezer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 06:39:39, 14/11/11 »
I had a bit of an accident today. A heavy metal gate was unhinged. Obviously I didn't realise this and when I tried to open it it fell towards me. I received a glancing blow to left thigh and am currently nursing a large bruise.

Ouch!!  At least it's not more serious than a bruise  O0

Hope you're not too sore this morning and that the bruise goes away quickly ;)

All the best

OBG

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:26:30, 14/11/11 »
Not me but The Missus. Dog loves to be directed around things when on walks (he is a sheepdog) and I send him away then bring him left and right around small copses. One fave of his is as we ascend a hill at the back of the house.  I send him behind the wood up the hill and bring him back around down the track to me and then repeat - ad nauseum. On one bright and sunny day we were doing this and he came into the gloomy shade of the track in the trees and after the bright sun did not see The Missus and hit her at full speed below the knee. She face planted into the ground hitting a rock and was out cold for a few seconds and hazy for a few minutes. Nasty bruise on her face. Dog was horrified and would not come near - he was too upset. She is Ok now but dog always slows down when he passes The Missus now.

I have managed on many occasion to get my crampon caught in the elastic of my gaiter if I forget to tuck it in - but so far no harm done.

oldboldgeezer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:08:12, 14/11/11 »

I have managed on many occasion to get my crampon caught in the elastic of my gaiter if I forget to tuck it in - but so far no harm done.

Crampons would introduce a whole array of incident wouldn't they!!!

I recall on the summit ridge of The Monche (a narrow snow arete for those who haven't had the pleasure) when I caught the front point of my crampon in the leg of my waterproof trousers that were outside of my gaiters .. .. I was probably not as close to falling as I felt but it was definitely one of those 'OMG this is going to hurt' moments that has stuck in the memory for a good few years  ::)

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:13:10, 14/11/11 »
Crampons would introduce a whole array of incident wouldn't they!!!

When climbing a narrow and pretty steep grade 5 chimney  in thin conditions the ice was pretty crappy. I could not get a purchase and desparately kicked my front points in only to stab myself in the back of the leg - OWWW! No time for pain response until I got to the top - they boy did I swear!

oldboldgeezer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:56:53, 14/11/11 »

When climbing a narrow and pretty steep grade 5 chimney  in thin conditions the ice was pretty crappy. I could not get a purchase and desparately kicked my front points in only to stab myself in the back of the leg - OWWW! No time for pain response until I got to the top - they boy did I swear!

VERY Owww!!!!!!!!!!  :o

Perhaps that's why I try to stick to Grade 3  ;D lol

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:18:30, 14/11/11 »
A few years ago, I was coming down off a fell in the Lakes (can't remember which) and tripped over a stone that was sticking up in the path!  I was faffing with my gloves at the time instead of paying attention and literally launched myself head first onto the ground.  The guy I was walking with, who was behind me, said that my whole body completely left the floor! :o

It took me some moments to realise what had happened and why my face was suddenly an inch from the path. Talk about dazed and confused!   

I cut both knees, bruised my arm, hip and thigh!
After taking some time to recover, I finished the walk with blood stained trousers with big rips at the knees!

Slightly embarrassing! :-[
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:38:23, 14/11/11 »

Slightly embarrassing! :-[

At least you were ok and nothing too serious, did the guy you were with help you? I hope he did.
Catbells, a truly lovely walk

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:54:58, 14/11/11 »

At least you were ok and nothing too serious, did the guy you were with help you? I hope he did.

Erm, sort of!  He knelt at the side of me with a 'I don't really know what to do' sort of look on his face.  I kept thinking....'Just bloody well get me up off the floor!!'  ;D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Sprout

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:58:34, 14/11/11 »
I once caught the lace hook of my boot on a loop of the other sock and almost went flying.  I now down turn my socks down if they're the loopy ones.

I just though "that could have been nasty" at the time, but this post reminded me.

Natureboy12689

« Reply #13 on: 13:15:36, 14/11/11 »
The wife and I were climbing in Spain last year and on the last day of our 2 week trip we were walking around the bottom of the crag trying to pick the next route.

I was wearing flip flops, which is usual for me and we were walking along the top of this very steep, rocky bank about 5 metres about the carpark and my foot slipped a bit.  I froze for a second and tried to very slowly grab hold of something so I could get my foot somewhere with more grip but I must have moved too quickly and it slipped anyway.

I had shorts and no top, 60m of rope in one hand and my very shiny SLR in the other.  I ended up just sliding down this bank and scraped my back up pretty bad and messed up my toes.  I just remember thinking that I needed to lean back or else I would have landed on my face 5m below on the very much unforgiving gravel of the carpark. 

Was a scary experience, not one I want to relive.
It's better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:49:24, 14/11/11 »
My brother caught his crampon in the calf of his leg half way up Mont Blanc. Can't say he enjoyed that very much.... But as his sister I felt it my duty to laugh   

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy