Author Topic: Unfortunate Mishap  (Read 6617 times)

oldboldgeezer

• Veteran Member
Re: Unfortunate Mishap
« Reply #15 on: 14:41:42, 14/11/11 »
My brother caught his crampon in the calf of his leg half way up Mont Blanc. Can't say he enjoyed that very much.... But as his sister I felt it my duty to laugh
Only family and very good friends are allowed to laugh in those circumstances  O0
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."

leadenboot

« Reply #16 on: 17:38:18, 14/11/11 »
I am sure that the majority of folk on this forum prepare themselves for the obvious risks associated with our great pastime.  But looking at the responses, and to misuse Rumsfeld's infamous phase, "There are known knowns (weather, lost, exhaustion, midges etc), there are known unknowns (rock falls, avalanche, cows etc) but there are unknown unknowns"
From this thread, just a few milli-seconds of "unknown unknowns" can turn a great walk into well .... :o :o

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:04:01, 14/11/11 »
The wife and I were climbing in Spain last year and on the last day of our 2 week trip we were walking around the bottom of the crag trying to pick the next route.

I was wearing flip flops, which is usual for me

??? :o   Are you serious?

:)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:36:45, 14/11/11 »
The catching of laces on the opposite boot lugs has happened to my wife twice. It was only on the second occasion I realised what had happened. She now ties laces in several bows until the loop is shortened to safe lengths. I suppose she could chop some lace off but prefers to leave them as long as the "proper ends" last. She has suffered many cuts and bruises as a result. You get no advance warning at all. Splat!

Bruno Blackstone

« Reply #19 on: 19:54:09, 14/11/11 »
Not quite connected with boots

A few years ago I took a group of St John Ambulance Cadets on an adventure weekend at Llanfairfechan (Wales in case you couldn't tell). We did all sorts of dangerous things, rock climbing, caving, canoeing and we had no injuries at all until we arrived back at our accommodation where one of our party tripped over a bed and broke his arm!

Bruno Blackstone
Bruno Blackstone
http://www.myoutdoorstore.co.uk [nofollow]

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:35:56, 14/11/11 »
Only family and very good friends are allowed to laugh in those circumstances  O0

I'm pretty sure my little brother would return the compliment  ;D

I wouldn't be so cruel with anyone else  ;)

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: 23:11:42, 14/11/11 »
I had an inner ear infection and whilst crossing the road on one of the main streets in Stirling I did not lift my foot high enough to get it over the kerb. Bang downlike a sack of sh.. I had no idea it was happening till I planted my face.

Whilst wearing crampons descending Ben More I stood my right foot on a solid rock and as my left foot stood next to it there was only deep snow. As I fell into it the right foot slipped off the rock and implanted on my left leg. Lovely warm feeling as the blood ran down my leg.  ;D
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:35:19, 14/11/11 »

Whilst wearing crampons descending Ben More I stood my right foot on a solid rock and as my right foot stood next to it there was only deep snow. As I fell into it the right foot slipped off the rock and implanted on my right leg. Lovely warm feeling as the blood ran down my leg.  ;D

I'm not laughing.

See, I don't laugh at other people.

Well, maybe on the quiet  ;D ;)

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: 00:03:46, 15/11/11 »
Its only when reading it back just now on your post Glyders that I noticed I had my two right legs on that day
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 00:10:03, 15/11/11 »
Its only when reading it back just now on your post Glyders that I noticed I had my two right legs on that day

;D ;D ;D

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 00:17:51, 15/11/11 »

Think you're Jake the Pake now do ya?  ::) ;D

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 00:41:56, 15/11/11 »
Ah, yes, crampons, always waiting to stab you when your attention strays. But I was only wearing trail running shoes on a quick trip round the northern Llangollen skyline. Towards the end I sat on a rock on the Offa trail under the cliffs to have a last drink - next thing I knew was being brought out of blackness by a massive blow. I had stood up too quickly, blood presumably had not had time to get back out of my legs to the brain, and crashed down full length, fortunately missing the many chunks of rocks on the hillside. I do wonder if I would have managed to get down to a farm if I had hit my head on a rock?

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 00:47:22, 15/11/11 »
I have just remembered a story a fairly well known climber and mountaineer (one I knew from my school days actually) used to tell to entertain a gathering.  His ear had got almost torn off and the story tended to get more extraordinary every time.  Actually, he had torn it falling out of bed (with a girl) catching it on the bedside table.  So make the most of your little incidents everybody!

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 10:19:43, 15/11/11 »
I once choked on a cheese butty. I couldn't breathe at all and just ran around like an idiot and I was alone at the time and a long way from anywhere.  Luckily, it dislodged, but my thoughts at the time were that it was going to be a daft way to die.  Never try to breath Wensleydale is my tip... (Other cheeses are also available for choking to death on)
I also once went  lunchtime "shopping" in Skipton, visiting many retail outfits such as the Red Lion, The Castle and The Ship (now closed, unfortunately)- I'd worked a week's nights and this Monday lunchtime was my equivalent of Saturday night....    - and afterwards, went for a stroll in the Castle woods. Somewhere near the top I decided that it would be fun to try to climb a big, shaly bank by the beck. I got right to the top - about thirty feet or so, grabbed a tree root which snapped off and the next thing I was sitting up to my nipples in cold water with a stick in my hand.
The walk home down the High Street leaving a soggy trail sobered me up a bit....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 11:56:13, 15/11/11 »
 ;D

When I was an apprentice mechanic working for the co-op, I'd had enough of my job - being paid £1.25 an hour (in 2001  ??? ) and had found a job to apply for in the local paper, I was invited for an interview so told my boss I had a dentist's appointment  8)

I couldn't drive at the time so I had to get changed at work (I can't remember how I got away with that one) and walk into town all suited and booted. I got about two thirds of the way there, it was late autumn and the ground was covered in wet leaves so I was very cautiously making my way down a very steep path (read mud track) through a little arboretum - the inevitable happened and I ended up with thick mud all up my one side  :-\  I dusted myself off as much as I could but it just wasn't happening. I had no choice but to go to the interview really so just went and decided I'd just have to apologise.

"had a little fall?" were the first words uttered when I entered the room to find four very smartly dressed people sat before me. I put my bag beside my seat and went through the motions of the interview and left feeling it could have gone considerably worse.

I went back twenty minutes later to ask if I could fetch my bag  ::)  Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy