Author Topic: Unfortunate Mishap  (Read 6605 times)

Maybelle

Re: Unfortunate Mishap
« Reply #30 on: 12:36:50, 15/11/11 »
Managed to avoid face planting but I did have an unfortunate mishap running down Heron Pike about a year ago. Picked up a little to much speed, tripped over my own foot (not an uncommon occurrence unfortunately as my hips are misaligned) and barrel rolled down the path.
I managed to sit up, completely winded and in a lot of pain in my chest and my right arm which had taken the force of the fall. Arm turned immediately black from shoulder to wrist.

I managed a very slow walk down to the Rydal and had a couple of pints to numb the pain.
Camped that night and walked and camped the following day with my arm feeling a bit better but the pain in my chest getting worse. A trip to A&E on my return home uncovered three rib fractures

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 13:05:14, 15/11/11 »
 ;D  Rarrrrrrrrrrrr! 'Ard as nails  O0  You should be a northerner  ;)

leadenboot

« Reply #32 on: 17:36:23, 15/11/11 »
........ I was sitting up to my nipples in cold water ............

Sticking up like 'chapel hat pegs' no doubt!! ;D

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #33 on: 23:58:25, 15/11/11 »
I once choked on a cheese butty. I couldn't breathe at all and just ran around like an idiot and I was alone at the time and a long way from anywhere.  Luckily, it dislodged, but my thoughts at the time were that it was going to be a daft way to die.  Never try to breath Wensleydale is my tip... (Other cheeses are also available for choking to death on)
I also once went  lunchtime "shopping" in Skipton, visiting many retail outfits such as the Red Lion, The Castle and The Ship (now closed, unfortunately)- I'd worked a week's nights and this Monday lunchtime was my equivalent of Saturday night....    - and afterwards, went for a stroll in the Castle woods. Somewhere near the top I decided that it would be fun to try to climb a big, shaly bank by the beck. I got right to the top - about thirty feet or so, grabbed a tree root which snapped off and the next thing I was sitting up to my nipples in cold water with a stick in my hand.
The walk home down the High Street leaving a soggy trail sobered me up a bit....

Thanks for making me belly laugh mate  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

guess who

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 16:01:39, 16/11/11 »
Two that spring to mind. All happened working on tower cranes.

The first. On some cranes you climb up into the cab. You open the trap door by pushing it up. I pushed the door up and thought i heard someone shout me. So i stopped to look down. The next thing i knew. I woke up about 10 foot down in a heap on a very small rest platform. If that platform had not been there i would have dropped 210ft.
My fault i had not pushed the door all the way up.

The second. I was part of a team taking a crane down. I was part way down the mast taking out spilt pins. Then i had to hit the pins holding sections together with a sledge hammer. One of the lads dropped a holding pin (these can be about 24inch long and about 10inch round and are very heavy) and it landed on top of my safety helmet. The trouble was i was leaning out of the mast at the time to get a better swing with the sledge hammer.
It knocked me out and i start to fall out of the mast. One of the lads i was working with grabbed hold of me to stop me going all the way down. We were up about 550ft.
I had a headache for days after this one. And to this day my neck isnt very strong. Should have gone to the hospital.
The only trouble was the group i worked with didnt show pain we just got on with it to stop the micky taking.

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:50:39, 16/11/11 »
I remember along time ago my exhusband was coming down the stairs with the wireless phone chatting away, I was decorating the hall, stairs and landing, wallpapering, I was at the bottom of the stairs busy busy, when suddenly I heard a very big crash and foul language, he had slipped on a piece of wallpaper covered in wallpaper paste that I'd left of the stairs!  I couldnt stop laughing, but that seemed to annoy him for some reason, I cannot imagine why!!!
Catbells, a truly lovely walk

oldboldgeezer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 18:52:28, 16/11/11 »
I remember along time ago my exhusband was coming down the stairs with the wireless phone chatting away, I was decorating the hall, stairs and landing, wallpapering, I was at the bottom of the stairs busy busy, when suddenly I heard a very big crash and foul language, he had slipped on a piece of wallpaper covered in wallpaper paste that I'd left of the stairs!  I couldnt stop laughing, but that seemed to annoy him for some reason, I cannot imagine why!!!

Male humour .. .. you girls will never understand it  ::)
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 18:54:40, 16/11/11 »
 ;D  I'm staying well out of that one  ;)

aljones27

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 18:58:09, 16/11/11 »
The first. On some cranes you climb up into the cab. You open the trap door by pushing it up. I pushed the door up and thought i heard someone shout me. So i stopped to look down. The next thing i knew. I woke up about 10 foot down in a heap on a very small rest platform. If that platform had not been there i would have dropped 210ft.

Lucky *******!

The second. I was part of a team taking a crane down. I was part way down the mast taking out spilt pins. Then i had to hit the pins holding sections together with a sledge hammer. One of the lads dropped a holding pin (these can be about 24inch long and about 10inch round and are very heavy) and it landed on top of my safety helmet. The trouble was i was leaning out of the mast at the time to get a better swing with the sledge hammer.
It knocked me out and i start to fall out of the mast. One of the lads i was working with grabbed hold of me to stop me going all the way down. We were up about 550ft.

Again, lucky *******!

I had a headache for days after this one. And to this day my neck isnt very strong. Should have gone to the hospital.

Yep!
Wainwrights: 17

Remember to keep smiling...
It really freaks people out as they wonder what you are up to...

http://alastairsmiscellany.blogspot.com

oldboldgeezer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 19:01:10, 16/11/11 »

I probably should too Rich .. .. but sometimes I can't help myself!!!!!!!!!  ;D
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:08:59, 16/11/11 »

I probably should too Rich .. .. but sometimes I can't help myself!!!!!!!!!  ;D

;D  I'm already in trouble with Donna though mate, I can't remember what I did now though - I just remember to wear the tin hat

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:38:11, 16/11/11 »
the 'lace-loop' formed on one of her walking boots attached itself to the lace-hook on her other walking boot -   Have any of you had similar experiences?
Dibble did exactly the same coming off Scafell Pike last year but Im too much of a gentleman to mention it on these boards  ::)
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 19:56:17, 16/11/11 »
Waiting at the platform for the last train home after having the firms Christmas knees up,  I stood there, swaying, very much half asleep and two sheets to the wind. Next thing I knew, was THUMP, as I realised I had fallen face first onto the tracks, luckily landing between the rails, I can tell you that soon sobered me up.

I still havn't told my mum about that, lol.
roll on the weekend

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 20:20:23, 16/11/11 »

Yes Sleepy don't think I have forgotton I have a very good memory!!  ;D ;D

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 20:24:05, 16/11/11 »

Male humour .. .. you girls will never understand it  ::)
Male humour is nowhere as good as female humour  :D ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy