Author Topic: Do you go Night Time Walking?  (Read 9107 times)

cbr6fs

Re: Do you go Night Time Walking?
« Reply #45 on: 11:32:28, 28/11/13 »
Thanks Carolina, bit blurry but my phone isn't too great at low light pics

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 21:44:03, 28/11/13 »
soooo.....if I was to do a night walk in the Peaks.....anyone interested?

Maybe, but not till it warms up  a bit.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Steve 79

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 22:41:37, 28/11/13 »
will set something up for new year  :)  i'm only round the corner from Kinder so can do more than one  ;)

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 23:33:48, 28/11/13 »

Maybe, but not till it warms up  a bit.

Southerner?  ???

::)
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 00:39:31, 29/11/13 »

Yes I'm up for a bit of night walking  O0 O0
www.catchlights-photography.com

Everything in Life happens for a reason

snippers

« Reply #50 on: 07:57:09, 29/11/13 »

yes i would definitely be interested.   O0
''Every man dies – Not every man really lives''

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 19:35:26, 29/11/13 »
Southerner?  ???

::)

Yep, I'm  a softie Southerner and a bit of a girl when it comes to cold weather.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Bill T

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 20:27:23, 29/11/13 »
I like walking at night.  I go on my own as I'm an anti social git and like the being at one with the night, something that somehow daylight doesn't offer. I always take a head torch and a spare battery, but never use it if I can help it.  It's best to start at dusk and let your night vision develop as the light fades.  The last long one I did was from Marlborough home, about 24 miles.  I set off at dusk and got home just as the light was rising in the east.  Summer is best as you tend not to end up in soggy bits, which can take some spotting in low light.  You don't get the views but you often stumble across owls, badgers, foxes and the like.
Dirger

Resident Lyke Wake Bore

JusForrest

« Reply #53 on: 23:48:35, 07/12/13 »
Yes in my local area I love night walks especially by moonlight

ukjeeper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 14:31:30, 12/12/13 »
Yes. Often. In fact i was out last night. Unable to use my Lenser head torch unless i had it pointed straight down due to the thick fog. The light would go about 10' and bounce right back. With the 3/4 moon lighting up the fog and refracting the light, it was easier to walk with no torchlight. (which is how i usually walk anyway)

Grouse

« Reply #55 on: 21:27:07, 12/12/13 »
Since buying a new headtorch last month I've been doing a couple night walks a week around my local trails and really enjoying it. I've come face to face with deer on a couple of occasions and lost count of the amount of rabbits I've seen.

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 23:51:42, 12/12/13 »
Since buying a new headtorch last month I've been doing a couple night walks a week around my local trails and really enjoying it. I've come face to face with deer on a couple of occasions and lost count of the amount of rabbits I've seen.
Right time of year for deer at night O0 . They snooze during days this time of year.
R.I.P. Dave.

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 09:36:02, 13/12/13 »
During the winter months, I frequently walked Sweepy in the dark, often being out to near midnight. We'd walk through Margam Park and in the Forestry Commission land around Mynydd Margam, and it was fantastic, especially when there was snow on the ground.
If there was ever a low cloud base, the light pollution from the steel works at Port Talbot would reflect back down and form a uniform pale orange glow that was often so bright we'd cast shadows. If it was clear, we would be able to see the lights on the north Devon coast, and the ships in the Bristol Channel.
Once during a walk in the woods, we were stopped by a security patrol and warned of the presence of a large cat, after some workmen had found a large pawprint in some mud near the park. Apparently a plaster-cast of the print confirmed it was a large cat, though the guard wasn't sure what type. With a million billion deer in the area I am certain an escaped panther size cat could easily have existed there. I did however doubt that there was a risk of me or Sweepy being attacked by it as the guard implied.
The joys of dog ownership eh ?
Best night nav I've done to date though is this one though..... very atmospheric it was. O0

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=22088.0

Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

ukjeeper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 10:01:51, 13/12/13 »

When you're using a torch, it's surprising how many glowing pairs of eyes are reflected from the undergrowth!  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy