Author Topic: comfort/weight  (Read 15053 times)

Gadabout Bounder

Re: comfort/weight
« Reply #15 on: 08:10:00, 24/01/14 »
I couldn't work out where I could lose the weight (feel like that about my love handles as well) but I just started going through it bit by bit and buying alternative gear.

I think I have got a bit obsessed with it and now have been told to stop buying. My wife doesn't know about the Neoxair coming this morning!!!!

Gad
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:12:49, 24/01/14 »
Weighed my kit last night and it came in just under 12 kilos or in old money 26lb and that doesnt include a tent or sleeping bag. 3.5 of that is water/flask and food so will get lighter through the day and 1.4 is the weight of the ruck sack leaving 7.1kg of tackle or 15lb.

I would call that too heavy but it is your choice. I published a kit list as other have done so you might search them. The max I carried on JOGLE and my Hebridean/West coast trip was 12kg including water and 4 days of food for me and Dog. It will depend on what time of year you are walking, although on JOGLE I packed for summer and got winter.  :o

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:42:43, 24/01/14 »
I would call that too heavy but it is your choice. I published a kit list as other have done so you might search them. The max I carried on JOGLE and my Hebridean/West coast trip was 12kg including water and 4 days of food for me and Dog. It will depend on what time of year you are walking, although on JOGLE I packed for summer and got winter.  :o

I am a big lad, no jokes please  ;D and i dont struggle with the weight but of course i would like to make it lighter but cant see how i can.  This is my kit list for a walk up Helvellyn and other fells tomorrow.
 The 7.1 is made up off
Walking poles
Waterproof bottoms

Spare fleece top midweight
Spare sealskin socks
Spare hat and gloves
Main hat and gloves which will be removed at start of walk but cant be more than 200g
Storm shelter compact
Poncho
First aid kit
Maglite + spare batteries
Headtorch + spare batteries
Bog roll (essential for proper emergencies)
Survival blankets x 2
Hand warmer
Swiss army knife
Emergency food x 4 mars bars
Note pad x pencil
Whistle
Map and compass

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #18 on: 09:06:19, 24/01/14 »
I wrote a full reply to your list and then I got timed out of the forum >:( >:(

Gad

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #19 on: 09:07:21, 24/01/14 »
Is the 7kgs including pack weight?

Gad

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:39:38, 24/01/14 »

I am not one to criticise anyone for carrying spare kit. However, given the question asked:

Spare fleece top midweight
Spare sealskin socks
Is this fleece in addition to one you are wearing?
Whilst wet socks are annoying they aren't a disaster on a day walk in most temperatures.

Poncho
Is this in addition to a waterproof jacket being worn? If so what is it for? If not, possibly not the best choice for Helvellyn in the current conditions.

Maglite + spare batteries
Headtorch + spare batteries
Why a maglite and headtorch?
Which headtorch - there is the possibility of a big saving here.

Hand warmer
I personally can't see the point in this, but you may have a good reason.

Swiss army knife
Could be useful, but you probably already have things to do the same job (eg. shears in FAK).

Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:45:37, 24/01/14 »
I am not one to criticise anyone for carrying spare kit. However, given the question asked:
Is this fleece in addition to one you are wearing?
Whilst wet socks are annoying they aren't a disaster on a day walk in most temperatures.

Is this in addition to a waterproof jacket being worn? If so what is it for? If not, possibly not the best choice for Helvellyn in the current conditions.

Why a maglite and headtorch?
Which headtorch - there is the possibility of a big saving here.

I personally can't see the point in this, but you may have a good reason.

Could be useful, but you probably already have things to do the same job (eg. shears in FAK).

Spare fleece and socks are just that spare in case I get wet or stranded.

Poncho is in addition to my waterproof jacket, I seem to take it everywhere and I guess I should just have confidence in my main kit and that it wont fail which it hasn’t to date. Get what your saying about how useful it will be.

Maglite has been my night time walking torch for years 2xAA size, packed the headlight because its said a headtorch is best and frees up your hands for downhill with the poles. Think ive just lighted the load a bit more.

Hand warmer heat source if stranded doesn’t way much so will keep

Swiss army knife, I am starting to see the point why is it there when I have scissors in FAK

Ok the poncho has been in and out for the last couple of nights so that’s now out probably about 0.5 to 1 Kg saving there alone. Maglite and SAK plus batteries out just leaves the socks and top. I suppose the socks can go ive never had wet feet even wading through streams. Ill keep the top just to make sure I am not too cold on the top. Probably saved about 1 to 1.5/2 kg there.
 Thanks for the advice

Gad its 7.1 just the remaining contents which probably should be about 5 now with the above changes, cant weigh at the mo.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:41:07, 24/01/14 »
I've been comparing your list to what I usually carry. At this time of year I'd also have my micro spikes with me. Wondering if you have accounted for wallet, keys etc and if in the Lakes your Wainwright - wonder how much that adds?!

I also always have lip salve, mob phone, comb (slightly vain!).

Like you I would have a spare fleece or down jacket depending on the season - I run quite cold and need something extra when I stop for lunch. Spare socks - I tend to leave in the car for the end of the day. The on,yo time I have taken them and used them was doing the Y3P where they saved my sanity!

When I am next acquainted with my walking gear, I will weigh it and see what I am lugging on my back...

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:57:41, 24/01/14 »
I've been comparing your list to what I usually carry. At this time of year I'd also have my micro spikes with me. Wondering if you have accounted for wallet, keys etc and if in the Lakes your Wainwright - wonder how much that adds?!

I also always have lip salve, mob phone, comb (slightly vain!).

Like you I would have a spare fleece or down jacket depending on the season - I run quite cold and need something extra when I stop for lunch. Spare socks - I tend to leave in the car for the end of the day. The on,yo time I have taken them and used them was doing the Y3P where they saved my sanity!

When I am next acquainted with my walking gear, I will weigh it and see what I am lugging on my back...

Sarah

Not accounted for those items as they are in my pockets GPS/phone, keys etc I often carry lip balm as well due to the wind on my lips no man up jokes please  ;D

I lent my Wainwright book on Helvellyn to my mate who is hoping to do a charity walk up there in the summer otherwise it would be with me.

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:19:45, 24/01/14 »
Only carry what you know you will use, waterproofs, gloves, hat and some food.
Most of us own so much kit over the years, that we feel we need to take everything with us on a walk.
The more you carry the heavier the weight, and more weight will slow you down and make you feel tired sooner than later.
Its tricky to balance what to take with you and what to leave at home.
I dislike extra weight for the sake of it, so carry the basic waterproofs, hat and gloves, which all way under 1Kg.
Next time you go out walking, really ask yourself do I need to take that with me, if not leave it at home.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:36:59, 24/01/14 »
Interesting thread, it's amazing what some people do/don't take.  I always thought I tended to take more than I need, but my 35L pack complete comes to 7.3kgs, including liquid and emergency rations, first aid kit, waterproofs, spare batteries for GPS, headtorch, Lenser P7 torch, hat, headover, spare laces, waterproof gloves and spare fleece, based on the fact that in winter I tend to start wearing a baselayer and fleece, but add the additional fleece if it gets colder or if I stop and need it.  Trousers depend on the temp, either thermal or not.

Maybe I don't take enough  :-\
Where there's a will ...

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #26 on: 13:56:44, 24/01/14 »
The Neoair has just turned up. Seems a bit flimsy for my bulk but better than the 3.8mm I had in my pack.

At least half of the bulk.

I am going to have to do another weigh in because I think I can get an overnighter, with food into a 22 or 25 litre rucksack :o

Amended - Just weighed it all. 5Kgs for an overnight bag, not compromising on comfort. That's in an Osprey 22.

I do need a very decent compression bag for my 800 fill (down) sleeping bag to make that happen though (any ideas)?

Gad

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:15:03, 24/01/14 »
Ooh Rhino - want to exchange notes on brands of lip balm?! ;-) I don't think you're alone in being a man using balm - other half certainly does at times.

I don't really like carrying much in my pockets - keys jingle around; items dig in. So as much goes in the bag as poss. In my pockets are usually tissues and my gloves if it's a gloves on/off day.

I have remembered that I also usually carry some hand sanitiser to give my hands the once over before eating my sandwich.

stang

« Reply #28 on: 18:58:26, 24/01/14 »
Having read this thread i took a look at the weight i carry for a nights wild camping. It came in at around the 12kg mark including rucksack, food, water etc. I've never really bothered weighing it before so this surprised me as i thought it was less. Not to worried though as i find this a managable weight.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:05:37, 24/01/14 »
I've decided that, before I worry too much about the bag weight, I need to worry about the 3 stone of surplus body weight I'm lugging around. Once that's gone, then I'll tackle the bag.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy