Author Topic: comfort/weight  (Read 15049 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: comfort/weight
« Reply #30 on: 19:08:06, 24/01/14 »
I've decided that, before I worry too much about the bag weight, I need to worry about the 3 stone of surplus body weight I'm lugging around. Once that's gone, then I'll tackle the bag.

Shouldn't talk about the missus like that  :2funny:
Where there's a will ...

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 19:15:38, 24/01/14 »

Shouldn't talk about the missus like that  :2funny:

SWMBO? :o :o   Do I sound suicidal? :o :o ;D ;D
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 16:19:18, 26/01/14 »
Actually got it to 8.1KG before setting off which was fine for me and learnt a few things to cut another 1.5 to 2kg as well.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

OutdoorsApe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 22:46:37, 26/01/14 »

Poncho is in addition to my waterproof jacket, I seem to take it everywhere and I guess I should just have confidence in my main kit and that it wont fail which it hasn’t to date. Get what your saying about how useful it will be.

If you get an army poncho, then it has eyelets for pitching it as a tarp, you can even pitch it whilst you are still wearing it, which makes it a great option for a lightweight shelter in poor weather. My one weighs around 700g, which is double the weight of my next heaviest tarp, but I can't wear that! I've sometimes pitched it really quickly for lunch whilst wearing it.

Swiss army knife, I am starting to see the point why is it there when I have scissors in FAK

Dump the scissors but not the SAK IMO. You'll have trouble cutting anything that is wet with those scissors, the SAK however has a knife which can be used to fashion tent pegs and make tinder and such.

Lightweight backpacking is generally deemed to be a base weight of less than 20lbs for multiday/extended hikes. The base weight doesn't include water, food or stove fuel. Ultra Lightweight is 10lbs or less.

I've been trying to get to Ultra Lightweight for about a year now, but I find it pretty hard giving up certain things such as hygiene! However, every few months I lay all of my kit out in front of me and I go through each thing and ask "could this be lighter". If you have 50 individual pieces of kit and are able to save 10g from each then that is over 1lb saved. I once camped with a guy who had cut his toothbrush in half to save weight!

Joe on Ultralightbackpacker.com has some great advice for people looking to reduce the weight of their packs, and also some kit lists.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 06:59:53, 27/01/14 »
If you get an army poncho

Oh the memories!

Dump the scissors but not the SAK IMO. You'll have trouble cutting anything that is wet with those scissors, the SAK however has a knife which can be used to fashion tent pegs and make tinder and such.

We are crossing the boundary between bushcraft and walking here. I prefer a good dedicated knife rather than a SAK if I am doing bushcraft. I still stick with the shears in a FAK as cutting someone's clothes with a knife is pretty scary!

Lightweight backpacking is generally deemed to be a base weight of less than 20lbs for multiday/extended hikes. The base weight doesn't include water, food or stove fuel. Ultra Lightweight is 10lbs or less.

I once camped with a guy who had cut his toothbrush in half to save weight!
Thats an old classic. I personally just don't bother with the brush for anything less than a couple of days.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

walking pole

« Reply #35 on: 10:30:16, 03/04/14 »
Just weighed my rucksack for my jogle walk, 23k, think i need to have another look at what i will be taking

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 21:06:04, 03/04/14 »
For a multi day wildcamp trip in the UK, such as the Pennine Way, Coast to Coast, several in the Lakes etc. moving fast with high daily mileage I am comfortable with 12Kg, covering all eventualities. However if the forecast is for much rain then I will go up to 14Kg+.
The problem with going very lightweight in the UK is the changeable weather. I have known several guys, capable of high daily mileage and fast pace, stripping things down to a minimum, then being hit by bad weather that has meant them not reaching their intending destination. I have always reached mine.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 21:54:34, 03/04/14 »
I once camped with a guy who had cut his toothbrush in half to save weight!

Have any of you considered those travel toothbrush balls you can buy in airport/pub/train station toilets?  They're about the size of a gobstopper, weigh next to nothing and work surprisingly well  O0

chrisj

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 22:12:51, 03/04/14 »
A great way to cut down on pack weight without costing you anything, is to make a list when you get back of everything that you carried but didn't use. If it makes the list more than 3 times in a row then stop taking it. Most of us have some 'little luxuries' that we pop in just in case but never use.
Obviously there are certain things that like First aid kit that you wouldn't include in this, since you really hope not to need them but really need to carry them.
www.chrisjacksoncoaching.co.uk
From Mountain Summit to River Bank

llandudnoboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 23:56:02, 03/04/14 »
With certain top manufacturers now producing high quality ultra lite weight fully waterproof clothing and high quality thermal long sleeved tops replacing heavier fleece jackets, gone are the days when one has to carry heavy rucksacks.

Maybe a decade or two ago ultraliteweight clothing was only for the well off, but Berghaus, The North Face and Mountain Hardwear have fully waterproof clothing for those who choose not to carry the extra weight.

Remember the heavier the weight on your back the sooner you will begin to tire.

ChrisJ makes a very valid point, the majority of walkers take far too much kit with them, kit that most of the time never sees the light of day.

For general walking all one needs is full waterproof kit, a warm top and food and liquid and optional map and compass.

That lot if chosen carefully can weigh very little.

Obviously for longer trips more gear is required but the average walk only lasts a few hours not days.

walking pole

« Reply #40 on: 07:19:57, 04/04/14 »
Fully agree about going lighter when possible but unfortunately for us fat knackers that even with a xxl from all the lightweight outdoor clothing brand's it still look's like im wearing a short boobtube from the 80's, i do get lightweight gear such as tent, rollmat and such but clothing wise just need to grin, wear it and carry it

cbr6fs

« Reply #41 on: 21:53:32, 04/04/14 »
Problem with discussing pack weight is it's absolutely pointless to generalise.

Advising people what to carry when you have no idea on their body size/build, fitness level, terrain they're walking over, distance, weather or even ascent they're planning on doing is pointless.

A night above the tree line is going to be a LOT different than a night on a lower site.

End of the day we're all adults and we all make our own choices, if you've got back from a trip and found it difficult going due to carrying too much, then there are usually things that can be changed or left at home depending on how much you're willing to pay or how uncomfortable a night you're willing to accept.

Tossing figures about IS helpful as it gives a rough guide of what others are taking.
Problem in my experience though is people are often wrong or just plain dishonest when it comes to pack weights.
It seems to be some sort of bragging right now days to pick a low number and brag how light their kit is, when you actually examine their kit list though you often find many things missing and/or weights of items that just don't add up to manufacturers or other uses weights.

So although i'm more guilty than most for pouring over kit lists and weight worksheets, we're all different with different expectations of what our night out will be like, so it's easy to get caught up in bragging rights, it's really down to each one of us to take what we feel we need.

I'd also be extremely suspect about any ones "advice" that lists maps and compass as "optional"
That might just be me though  ;)

cbr6fs

« Reply #42 on: 21:55:30, 04/04/14 »
Fully agree about going lighter when possible but unfortunately for us fat knackers that even with a xxl from all the lightweight outdoor clothing brand's it still look's like im wearing a short boobtube from the 80's, i do get lightweight gear such as tent, rollmat and such but clothing wise just need to grin, wear it and carry it

Great point.

I'm 90kg my Mrs is 50kg, one of my pullovers weighs more than her entire weekends clothing  ;D

Yet another thing folks tend to not think about when generalising and throwing weight figures around.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 10:20:32, 05/04/14 »
Pack weights usually diminish with experience. Over time you evolve from taking extra gear that you 'may' need, to taking only what you 'do' need. You learn what is sufficient to keep warm, dry and comfortable.
The fact also is that if going super lightweight, you accept that you are taking a chance, and it may go wrong.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 10:30:17, 05/04/14 »
That's interesting Slogger. I think I am the opposite but maybe that's because I am only starting out on my serious walking life/obsession. I take more than in 2009 when as a family we completed our first Wainwright eg I always have hat and gloves with me now, and v often a down jacket, but didn't then.

Some of that is down to experience - I have learned that I get cold when I stop so need the insulation. But I am also more aware of potential risks and have more safety items eg torch, survival sack etc

In all likelihood, I was under prepared in my early days.

Now I am at the stage of replacing items, I do aim for more lightweight versions so that may help reverse the trend. And perhaps when I am much more experienced I might take the chances you describe!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy