Author Topic: Walking Speed.  (Read 11962 times)

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking Speed.
« Reply #15 on: 08:12:17, 08/07/16 »
Keithie is absolutely right - there is no such thing as too slow unless you want to be somewhere at a particular time and you're going to be late.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:22:08, 08/07/16 »
Ordinarily I have no idea how fast I walk. I would describe it as being 'very steady', or slow to real people.
However it just so happens that last Tuesday I went up Whernside for the first time this year. Up and down via Blea Moor. My GPS gave me an average speed of 2.6 MPH over nearly 9 miles and whatever ascent it amounts to.

Knowing how long and steep the climb to Whernside is, I would say that an average of 2.6mph was very good going.

keithie

« Reply #17 on: 09:07:45, 08/07/16 »
We (4 of us and a dog) did Whernside on Tues as well Peter ! ... I might have seen you going past us !(though maybe not as we didnt start till about 11am)  Great weather for a walk that day!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:13:55, 08/07/16 »
How much you're carrying makes a difference, too, and how far you're walking.
I've done calculations that show my average speed on a day walk in rolling countryside with a light(ish) rucksack is 2.3 mph.
Walking for 3 days in  mountainous country with a 23lb backpack I'm down to 1.2 to 1.5 mph depending on the terrain.
I have long legs and I use two poles, but I'm far from young any more, and I see no point in rushing. In spite of this, years of walking at top speed in the capital city, as everyone else does there, are ingrained in me and I often have to tell myself to slow down after starting off too fast.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:14:43, 08/07/16 »
Unless you have specifically entered a race, it isn't one, so lay back and enjoy.

My own walking speed over hills and countryside tends to be 1.5 to 2 mph but I stop for breath, to look at the scenery, have a drink, take photos etc. As long as I complete the walk in daylight, I don't really care about the time and the length of my walks means this is not usually a problem. I have never needed my torch yet.

As I understand it, Naismith was a fitter than average walker, so his rule may be an unsafe guide unless you know yourself to be very fit too. Certainly not me!

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:22:55, 08/07/16 »
I try not to get too hung up on 'too slow' or 'fast enough' - for me, walking is not a competition. Some people walk fast. Some don't. Everyone is different. Take it at your own comfortable pace.

However, route planning partly relies on knowing your average walking speed on the terrain you'll be walking. Naismith's Rule is helpful I find. It allows one hour for every three miles distance on flat ground, plus one hour for every 2,000 feet ascent.  More about this on UK Hillwalking.

FWIW, on level surfaced roads I average approx 3.75mph (over a five mile distance).

On easy mountain routes I average about 2mph.

On tough and long mountain routes I average approx 1.75mph.

Here is a logged example of the latter taken from Dave's blog: Scafell Pike from Seathwaite. Our route was Taylorgill Force, Styhead Tarn, Corridor Route, Lingmell Col and Scafell Pike; then back via Broad Crag, Great End, Esk Hause, and Grains Gill to Stockley Bridge and Seathwaite. The GPS gave the distance as 10.8 miles and the cumulative ascent as 1,182 metres (3,790 feet). The moving time was 05:54 giving an average speed of 1.83mph. (Which is fairly close to the Naismith calculation)

Skip

keithie

« Reply #21 on: 09:42:31, 08/07/16 »
ahh ...moving time vs total time ...

The two friends we sometimes walk with variously marathon run, mountain marathon run and ultrawalk (one just did a 24 hour 100k walk!). When they walk with us they walk at our pace!

For me thestops, whether 1 min for a swig of water and a look at the view, or a 5 min for a quick bite of sarnie or 30mins for a sit downin chairs, meal & chat at thetop are all part of walking time. For us mere mortals who wont be seeing 50 again, recovery time (whether a minute, or 5 or 30) is linked to overall time. so just using my gps 'moving time' and'avgmoving speed' is very misrepresentative in my case!

To take an extreme exaggerated example to make the point ...I could 'sprint' for a minute, rest stationary for 5mins, 'sprint' again, rest again etc. Then my average moving speed would be very high, but my overall time taken for the walk, I guess, would be longer.

On the Naismith rule, the Tranter correction shown in the link below, allows for varying fitness levels when walk planning

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith%27s_rule

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:28:53, 08/07/16 »
Interesting stuff here everyone.
Regarding Mel's comment about having a breather - I once read that fitness can be measured by a persons recovery time. In other words everyone can expect to puff and pant when under strain (on a hill for example) but the fitter you are - then the quicker you recover.
The other point to consider about stride - is that Sherpas are known to take short strides, as opposed to the average European (or others) who naturally have a longer gait.
It does seem sensible to reduce your stride on an incline as perhaps you lessen the stretch to the muscles and maybe reduce the risk of damage.
I am an advocate of this technique and enjoy shuffling along !!

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:51:05, 08/07/16 »
I don't bother working it out - except to say that usually, if a walk has taken 5 hours, it will work out at about ten miles.
I take beta blockers too - and statins which don't make for happy muscles -  and I have the same issues about going uphill - its very hard work. One doctor I met said I should stop taking them (!) and my cardiac nurse said that I'll just have to put up with it but to keep climbing hills and going for longish walks - although she says " you need to walk briskly y'know!". There's no danger of fainting cos I just can't go fast enough - it's like a limiter on an engine and I've managed to do long distance multi-week routes in reasonable but not exactly record-breaking times.
I wouldn't worry at all about speed and if your pals keep leaving you behind, then get some new pals.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:32:41, 08/07/16 »
I take beta blockers and statins (Atorovastatin) too. I do not find the statins bother me at all but hill climbing is much harder work than it used to be. I can get up anything but it just takes me longer as I pause for breath. I can still play badminton without trouble but I suppose this is short bursts of energy whereas hill climbing is a sustained effort. Walking poles help. The beta blockers are a nuisance but better than being dead! I certainly would not stop taking then without cardiologist advice. I don't even think I would trust a GP on this.

Summit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:48:19, 08/07/16 »

Fitness and walking pace are inherently linked. Obviously everyone knows the heavier pack you carry then the slower you end up walking. People spend a fortune cutting there pack weight where it is easier and more beneficial to cut your own body weight.

Muscle strength, endurance and stamina can be worked on. In this instance I like to call it hill fit. Some people think the best way to get hill fit is to walk hills but it's not always the case. Resistance training coupled with endurance training will do a better job. Steppers squats etc will build muscle strength and build more lean muscle. Cycling, swimming, running or fast paced walking will build your fitness quicker than walking. I find the more varied exercise you can do then the better your hill fitness is.

Like before someone said its a good measure of fitness how well and how quickly you recover. However if you stop too often on a walk you never give your heart and lungs the work out they require. To improve your fitness you want to get the heart pumping and the lungs working hard and keep them working hard. If you stop every time you feel a bit out of breath or you feel your heart racing then it simply recovers and doesn't develop. I'm not advocating that you work at maximum effort all the time but if you want to improve your walking pace or fitness you do need to have the motivation to push yourself a little. Each time you do you will improve.

As an example if you weigh fourteen stone and you can go up and down hills with that weight. If you get yourself down to twelve stone then your legs are going to be used to pushing a heavier weight. Your going to be able to walk longer, faster and easier if you weigh less. It's common sense. It's not easy but it's common sense. 
BURN FAT NOT OIL

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:07:15, 08/07/16 »
......fitness can be measured by a persons recovery time.... the fitter you are - then the quicker you recover...

Our PT instructors at work say this too.

...The other point to consider about stride .... It does seem sensible to reduce your stride on an incline as perhaps you lessen the stretch to the muscles and maybe reduce the risk of damage...

When I did my basic navigation course the instructor noticed I was (trying to) stride purposefully up a steep hill and having to stop very frequently to get my breath back.  He explained that tiny baby steps will reduce fatigue and I would be able to walk (uphill) for longer without needing a breather.  He then went on to prove the point by making me follow him at what seemed like a painfully slow (even for me  :D  ) speed ... and I even managed a conversation (something I couldn't do during my purposeful striding  ;D  ) all the way to the top of the hill  :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:40:47, 08/07/16 »
Thanks everyone, some really good stuff coming out here.

Summit I will download that app.
Keithie, I agree, I think I may have confused the point now that you have said that. i am out in Northumberland next week and will do a bit of the Coastal to test out your point I will use my GPS and the App Summit mentioned and see what I come up with.

All the other points are good also, I tend not to worry too much about how long it takes me. But I have some big mileages coming up and want to ensure I start off at a decent enough time to get to the B&B which I book, of course the speed at which I plan to travel has to influence where I book the B&B.

An ex army Mate who is now a physiotherapist told me to be careful with my stride length as I have long legs, and could be tempted to overstretch. Also the cardio nurse said to take shorter strides, so am on top of that. The beta blockers are an aside and only affect me up steep hills.

Some of you diplomatically mention the weight carried on the bones rather than in the bag. yep I think a stone ( or two) off the frame  would help.

Thansk some really good points coming across.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:31:45, 08/07/16 »
My PW walking speed averages out at around 2.8mph over a daily distance of 30+ miles.
I am at the moment in training for next years Spine Race and do a local 5 mile circuit most evening, basically walking as fast as I can without breaking into a jog, this averages 4.6 mph. The next step is to add the backpack gradually adding weight until I get to the compulsory kit weight and then add a little more.
The 5 mile 'sprint' sessions are what helps increase normal walking speed the most. It's the same with marathon running. In order to improve your Marathon time, you should work on improving your 10K time. You get accustomed to moving faster even though it's shorter, so that when you come to your walk or event the slower pace feels easy and you can sustain it longer.
I turned 70 years in April.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:29:59, 08/07/16 »
Slogger, one word for you, respect.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy