Author Topic: Ever been attacked by a wild animal?  (Read 11383 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: Ever been attacked by a wild animal?
« Reply #30 on: 09:20:23, 29/09/16 »
Not attacked, but overrun by ants, when we camped in Roquebrun in the Haute Languedoc in southern France. They even got inside an open french stick (baguette- not sure if anyone calls it a French stick anymore), right in throughout the length of it. The unopened one was not touched. Once we had sorted the problem, by hanging all the food up in bags they were fascinating to watch. I spilt some dry cous cous on the ground, maybe about a tablespoonful so quite a few individual 'grains' and we watched them make a line, then 'hand over hand' pass each piece of cous cous along to the next until it reached the hedge where presumably the nest was. They cleared the lot in under 10 minutes. Ants  are fascinating O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 11:54:15, 29/09/16 »
Sorry, I've gone off subject. Last year I saw something which was completely new to me. A hot day in Spain and what looked like a 10' long, moving length of thick string! In fact it was hundreds of hairy caterpillars, all about 1" long and all of them nose to tail, slowly moving from one side of a tarmaced single track road to the other. Absolutely fascinating to watch. Luckingly no cars came along to squash them. I certainly would not have liked them to trudge into my tent.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 12:53:15, 29/09/16 »
Sorry, I've gone off subject. Last year I saw something which was completely new to me. A hot day in Spain and what looked like a 10' long, moving length of thick string! In fact it was hundreds of hairy caterpillars, all about 1" long and all of them nose to tail, slowly moving from one side of a tarmaced single track road to the other. Absolutely fascinating to watch. Luckingly no cars came along to squash them. I certainly would not have liked them to trudge into my tent.
These were probably the caterpillars of the Pine Processionary Moth.  They spend the winter up in the trees and in the Spring they come down and move to their feeding ground in a procession like you describe.  No, you wouldn't have liked them in your tent because their hairs are extremely irritant to the skin.

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 17:51:13, 29/09/16 »
He/she may be a mugger - but a beautiful looking bird (lovely plumage).

It turned up back at the café garden too , where we went to have another try at eating - or that could have been another member of the gang. We ended up chucking away the sarnies and eating ice cream in the car.
~
Sue

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 17:54:54, 29/09/16 »
I've just learned something new today... I always thought a kookaburra was a fictional creature  :-[   brilliant pic of it though  :)

Remember the song?
"Kookaburra sits on the old gum tree,
Merry merry king of the bush is he.
Laugh, Kookaburra, laugh, Kookaburra,
Gay your life must be!"

Then take a listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXA0-YAoo9Q
~
Sue

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:49:03, 29/09/16 »
If you could describe a very aggressive Black stallion, that for some reason went ballistic,every time a member of the public used a public footpath that cut across the corner of its large field.
When living in South Wales, i used to walk a few miles to visit friends near Cyncoed in Cardiff.
The footpath used a corner of this large field,and thankfully had a small wire fence to indicate the route to be taken by the public.

The incredibly tall stallion, possibly a hunter,due to it's great height, would suddenly become aroused and run in a very menacing way towards me, and would gallop at speed along the fence.

You could tell by it's body language and whole attitude, that had one stood ones ground, it would have attacked or caused harm to the person involved.

Some horses for some reason, become aggressive or very dominant in their behavior, and being a stallion, it certainly meant business.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 20:10:50, 29/09/16 »
One of our apprentices used to come into work several mornings a week with his back lacerated, he got attacked by a wild animal with sharp nails most nights.

More than few guys were quite envious.................

JaneSarah

« Reply #37 on: 10:36:37, 30/09/16 »
We did get "attacked" by the Pine Processionary Moth caterpillars when walking in Northern Greece. The cocoons hung from the trees above, and the caterpillars dropped down from the trees as we passed. One landed on my neck, and yes, they sting! The worst bit was not knowing what they were and whether we should be worried.

Later on in the same walk, something large visited our campsite during the night and we were never sure if it was a bear, wild boar or what. We lay as still as possible in the tent, not wanting to scare it into a reaction and feeling at a decided disadvantage in our horizontal position until it lumbered off. I'd love to know what it was.
Jane Sarah
Do check out our walk through Greece from the northern border to southern tip at www.greekhiking.com [nofollow]. What next?

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 10:41:58, 30/09/16 »
If you could describe a very aggressive Black stallion, that for some reason went ballistic,every time a member of the public used a public footpath that cut across the corner of its large field.
When living in South Wales, i used to walk a few miles to visit friends near Cyncoed in Cardiff.
The footpath used a corner of this large field,and thankfully had a small wire fence to indicate the route to be taken by the public.

The incredibly tall stallion, possibly a hunter,due to it's great height, would suddenly become aroused and run in a very menacing way towards me, and would gallop at speed along the fence.

You could tell by it's body language and whole attitude, that had one stood ones ground, it would have attacked or caused harm to the person involved.

Some horses for some reason, become aggressive or very dominant in their behavior, and being a stallion, it certainly meant business.
When you say "aroused"  :o
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 11:54:20, 30/09/16 »
Aroused, maybe the wrong word to use, startled is probably a better description, but either way, i was ever so glad there was a dividing fence between me and him, the animals behaviour was scary.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 12:29:48, 30/09/16 »
Aroused, maybe the wrong word to use, startled is probably a better description, but either way, i was ever so glad there was a dividing fence between me and him, the animals behaviour was scary.
I may be wrong but I seem to think I read that stallions pick up on the pheromones (or whichever scent it is) that ladies exude. Apart from being territorial and acting stroppy they may be frisky for other reasons.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 12:32:33, 30/09/16 »
We had similar with a ram. Farmer had put him in an temporary enclosure on a track next to a field of 'lady sheep', I'm guessing he really was aroused so was continually head butting the stile (which we had planned to climb over on our route). We found another route :-\ Actually saw the farmer very shortly after and he apologised, explained he got called away to deal with something , so just bad timing I guess.

( I presume you're talking about lady horses, IM, rather than ladies)

The ram was doing the head butting , not the farmer in case thats unclear ::)
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 12:39:41, 30/09/16 »

( I presume you're talking about lady horses, IM, rather than ladies)

I may be barking up the wrong tree with this but I thought it was real ladies not mares  :-\
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 17:27:35, 30/09/16 »
I'm so glad, that was an image I did not want in my head  ::)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 20:34:08, 30/09/16 »
Cows, are they wild animals, do they count? I was out for an off road run this afternoon and stopped for a breather at a narrow tarmaced road. There were a herd of cows in the adjacent field about 200yds away mostly lying down under a tree.. One of them saw me and started to trot towards me, then the rest of the herd followed. By the time they got to the barbed wire fence they were running directly at me. They were not 'mooing' but they were making high pitched bellows as they ran, a really strange noise. I felt safe the other side of the fence but I soon scarpered off along the road because the herd was so agitated they tried to push there way through onto the road! I have never seen this behaviour before, normally cows in my experience will always stop at barbed wire, well at least I thought so until today. I stopped running about 150 yds up the road and looked back, they were now calm. If I see the farmer tomorrow or Sunday I'll ask him about it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy