Author Topic: Coping with the Weather  (Read 2661 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Coping with the Weather
« Reply #45 on: 17:24:11, 15/06/19 »
Coping much better now.
Solvitur Ambulando

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 17:51:25, 15/06/19 »
You've fallen over! ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 19:13:22, 15/06/19 »
It’s the right way up on my iPad, honest!
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 19:16:20, 15/06/19 »
Coping much better now.

Hope you have a rope with you.  Hate to lose your 🍺..  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 19:29:34, 15/06/19 »
Just looked at it on my phone. Ain't that weird?  Took the pic on my phone, shot it across to my Onedrive to post from my Ipad using tinypic. The image is the right way up in my phone gallery, the right way up in Onedrive, the right way up on the forum post on my IPad but rotated on the forum post on my phone. Spooky!
Solvitur Ambulando

humansnail

« Reply #50 on: 11:14:58, 16/06/19 »

Just out of curiosity, how many of you just stick to your plan A and go for it regardless of the weather?

I'm happy walking in the cold, enjoy snow, don't mind a bit of rain, and wind is fine unless it's so strong that I feel unsafe (a real pest when camping though!)

I used to just head up whatever hill I had planned regardless of the weather, but over the last year or so money has been quite a bit tighter and I've started to feel that spending money on petrol to walk in constant rain with an extremely slim chance of a good view is a bit of a waste of my time and money. Now if the weather looks terrible in my usual walking areas that I can realistically get to on a weekend, I just stay closer to home and go for a little stroll or do something none walking related. Must be getting soft (er)! :)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 11:43:58, 16/06/19 »

I'm afraid I no longer climb up hills if there is no chance of a view from the top.  The other day we were climbing Skiddaw, and as the clag came down we turned off down the path to Skiddaw House.  There didn't seem any point in trekking up the last couple of hundred metres when you could only see your feet, just to say we had been to the top.
Is that heresy?

myxpyr

« Reply #52 on: 11:52:02, 16/06/19 »
I'm afraid... There didn't seem any point in trekking up the last couple of hundred metres when you could only see your feet, just to say we had been to the top.
Is that heresy?
Some would call it heresy but then what is there to prove?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 12:05:17, 16/06/19 »
Generally don't set out in really wet weather but if I'm on a multi-day walk and it turns wet there's not much you can do about it.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 12:19:48, 16/06/19 »
Due to the problems with my ankle and knee I've not been out walking as much lately. I thought cycling might help strengthen the muscles around the knee. I'm not really that much of a cyclist but I do have a bike, so this morning I pumped up the tyres etc. It was dry, almost sunny, I went to get changed. Before I'd even finished changing the heavens opened, thunder and lightning the full works!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 12:24:45, 16/06/19 »
I went off road running yesterday and it was raining hard so I slipped on my poncho and off I went. About half a mile back to my car, running through my favourite wood where the path narrowed through lush vegetation I caught my left foot under a bramble which had grown across the path. It acted like a rope! In an instant, I went forward and down like a sack of potatoes, THUMP! Luckily I fell into the wet grass and a bush which softened my fall a bit and the poncho stopped me from getting wet through. By the time I got back to my car (I walked) I was hobbling. I'm still hobbling today, my foot is really bruised and I'm getting shooting pains in my Achilles tendon. Why is it that I can never fall gracefully?

humansnail

« Reply #56 on: 15:30:15, 16/06/19 »
I'm afraid I no longer climb up hills if there is no chance of a view from the top.  The other day we were climbing Skiddaw, and as the clag came down we turned off down the path to Skiddaw House.  There didn't seem any point in trekking up the last couple of hundred metres when you could only see your feet, just to say we had been to the top. [font=&amp]
Is that heresy?

Not in my book,  I do the same! My thinking being that if I've already been up the hill before it's no great loss and if I haven't been to the top of that hill before, I'll end up going back anyway to get the views.  I think it's a harder call to make if you are somewhere where you rarely get the chance to visit. When I stayed in Torridon for a week a few years ago, the weather was terrible except for two reasonable days and I spent 5 days trudging around with barely any views at all. In hindsight, my time would have probably been better spent doing low level walks, visiting some of the bothies or spending time at the coast. However, when surrounded by hills like that it's very hard not to just plod on and keep your fingers crossed! On the upside, that area is so stunning that one great wild camp and one great hill walk did still make the week worth while.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 15:45:43, 16/06/19 »
I plan my walks to take account of the forecast weather. If it likely to rain where I was thinking of going I go somewhere else where it is less likely to rain. In Devon N & S can have markedly different weather. Any planned walk gets put in the library as a gpx file for later.  At present I have 24 walks not yet done in the UK in-tray and 11 in the overseas in-tray.  No way would I dream of setting off in rotten weather when I can do it at some other time in better weather.  I regard it as act an act of folly to knowingly set off into extreme weather, you are putting yourself and others at risk.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 20:22:37, 16/06/19 »
When I'm on holiday I tend to stick to the walks I'd been hoping to do, unless the weather conditions mean there might be safety issues. But in my local area I choose walks where the weather's likely to be better. If the forecast is for persistent rain I don't bother going. The wind sometimes influences the direction in which I walk, as I'm not keen on walking against it. 

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 21:37:00, 17/06/19 »
One of the good things about Britain, well certainly Cornwall, is there is almost always good weather somewhere.  Take the Rame peninsular, one of those odd places that has it"s own climate,  had many a great day there walking or on the beach, when the rest of Cornwall was a wash a washout.  But given a gentle South Easterly, the sea fog just hangs there rolling over the clifftops and evaporating, as the rest of Cornwall enjoys the sun.

We also have those prevailing SW winds, that funnel the warm damp Gulf Steam air up the granite spine of the moors and suck it away from the coast.  Meaning there is usually fine weather on either the North or South coast somewhere. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy