Author Topic: Alternatives to Snowdon  (Read 4809 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Alternatives to Snowdon
« Reply #15 on: 19:07:53, 26/04/19 »
The Bwlch Yr Rhiwgyr route, turning left at the top of the pass, and traversing the famous Great Wall of Wales to Diffwys and beyond, will alway's be a favourite of mine., and that's not because its on my doorstep.

Many many years ago, sometime in the early 1980s, i i discovered this walk, after watching my very old Wynford Vaughn Thomas VHS copy of his magnificent series "The Dragon has Two Tounges"and fell in love with it.

His episode on the Rhinogs, was shot, in not ideal weather, but oh boy, was it  atmospheric, and it made me venture north from South Wales, to give it a go.

I never envisaged moving there, but as my distant relatives had lived and died in Dyffryn over seventy years ago, i paid the cemetery a visit to see if i could find the grave of Capt Peter Jones.

Having a spot of tea in nearby Barmouth, and a peep in the estate agents, i threw in the towel in Cardiff, and moved to Dyffryn, i still think i am on holiday, everytime i look towards Moelfre and the Harlech coastline.

Ever so like parts of the Brecon Beacons, but in a different sort of way.

The vistas off towards Cader Idris, Plynlimon and Mid Wales can be trully spectacular.

Its a huge shame that virtually everyone associates the Rhinogs with the brutal terrain the other side of yr Lethr.

If your after perfect solitude, in magnificent, virtually unspoilt mountain scenery, then the Southern Rhinogs, are a dream destination.

I bet Snowdon and the Glyders, were mayhem last weekend, but there were only three cars parked in the upper carpark above Talybont.
« Last Edit: 19:25:04, 26/04/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:27:18, 29/04/19 »
Thanks for the extra suggestions, I suspect they'll come in handy for next time.

As it was, the weather on Saturday would've made Snowdon pretty much suicidal, however on Sunday the weather was good and almost all the snow and ice had gone from the previous days (only a few small patches which excited the dog though). We got good views from almost the very top and a small cloud inversion on the way down whilst we ate our sandwiches near the top of the Pyg & Miners path.

The helicopter was out with what looked like an accident on the Pyg track or Crib Goch itself. Hopefully no one was seriously injured.

The highest some of us have every been and a great weekend. Think I'll bookmark this thread for future reference.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:16:52, 29/04/19 »
Glad that you had a successful visit, Dazza.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy