Author Topic: More idiots on the hills  (Read 3882 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
More idiots on the hills
« on: 20:51:52, 10/02/20 »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: More idiots on the hills
« Reply #1 on: 21:40:55, 10/02/20 »
Amazing  >:(
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:04:04, 10/02/20 »
Care in the community gone wrong.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:47:04, 10/02/20 »
Darwin Award - honourable mention but no prize.
Solvitur Ambulando

myxpyr

« Reply #4 on: 08:29:09, 11/02/20 »
As a support volunteer for a well known MRT  I'm afraid that there will always be goons like this going on to the hills in similar circumstances. Sadly so many of them take the rescue services for granted. I'm also convinced that many go back home, head for the nearest pub and wear their "experience" of being rescued as some sort of badge of honour, totally oblivious to the efforts and expenses involved in(all probability) saving their lives.  :tickedoff:

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:32:12, 11/02/20 »
Darwin Award - honourable mention but no prize.

Darwinian Selection sprang to my mind too - their survival hardly improves the gene pool.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:32:47, 11/02/20 »

No worse than the North Col on Everest and Reinhold Messner ran up that in trainers in 1980.They were probably the new breed of "extreme" walkers who shun more traditional methods and equipment other than being rescued when things go wrong.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:03:02, 11/02/20 »
Good for the economy though, aids employment, buying equipment, vehicles, servicing them, printing companies etc spring to mind.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:13:45, 11/02/20 »
Good for the economy though, aids employment, buying equipment, vehicles, servicing them, printing companies etc spring to mind.

What is?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:36:16, 11/02/20 »

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:39:15, 11/02/20 »
Eejits are.

Eejits are good for the economy?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:43:40, 11/02/20 »

Eejits are good for the economy?
See post by GWM.  :D I think you're a driver, just think about the materials and wages within the economy, needed because of those eejit drivers you mentioned in past postings.

Not saying its a good thing, just saying.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:13:24, 11/02/20 »
The more eejits that venture into the mountains, go to countries that they shouldn't, get rescued from the sea and other places, get stuck in this place and that, helps us and the world economy in all sorts of ways. Remember that mining disaster in South America, so many people prospered from it, newspapers, media outlets, British Airways and so on, they even made a film about it, have you ever watched the film 'Everest' now they could be called eejits as well by some people? And then of course the Thai boys who got stuck in caves, that did a lot to advertise Elon Musk to the world didn't it! Capitalism needs eejits!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:35:42, 11/02/20 »
They apparently used the what3words app.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:09:20, 11/02/20 »
An interesting comment was given by the leader of the llanberis Mountain Rescue team, on the television series "The Mountain " .

He was recounting the huge increase in callouts throughout the year, with nearly 260 call outs last year alone.
He said that they no longer go to the rescue of mountaineers, who after a lengthy mobile phone conversation, can actually help themselves to reach safety.

That comment surprised me, as i though the Mountain rescuers, went out to every single call for help they received.

It appears the majority of call outs, are for very minor emergencies, where the walkers are simply lost, or do not know where they are on a mountain, after a lengthy conversation with an experienced guide, they can usually find their own way to safety.

Real emergencies that are life threatening or where there are genuine casualties with serious life threatening injuries, thankfully make up only a small percentage of the annual callouts.

I just cannot imagine what the Glen Nevis team said to these mindless idiots, who ventured up Benn Nevis with such poor equipment.

Its a miracle they made the summit at all, and trainers in full Scottish Winter conditions, its beyond belief.

Regarding Reinhold Messner, my friend recently, went to the Messener museum, that is based in Reinholds castle, in Austria.

She is a keen walker herself, and found the museum and exhibits very interesting.

Unlike most of us here, according to the visitor book she bought,  Reinhold was already a keen walker at the age of four, and had already climbed most of the serious Alpine mountains before he was 16.

Starting young is one thing, but comparing Reinhold Messner with just about any current mountaineer who is still alive, is a bit pointless.

I believe he is still the only one of two climber who has solo climbed Mt Everest.

Goran Kropp is the other successful soloist.

Three other climbers, who are unnamed tried, but died in their attempt.

« Last Edit: 16:23:47, 11/02/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy