Author Topic: The best of Landscape Photographer of the Year 2012  (Read 8221 times)

Cathy

• Veteran Member
Re: The best of Landscape Photographer of the Year 2012
« Reply #15 on: 19:29:02, 30/10/12 »
I like the 2nd image of Lindisfarne with the beautiful lilac tones and I think 'London when it snows' is a dramatic powerful image. Often it's adverse weather conditions that make a photograph special and just being lucky to be in the right place @ the right time
Quit your jibber jabber, get some nuts

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:40:14, 30/10/12 »

I wasn't particularly interested in your opinion, Derek.

And I'm not particularly interested in YOUR opinion either Glyno !!  ;D    ;D    ;D

Derek

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:41:36, 30/10/12 »
Here are the two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT images, which, according to DEREK, look COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and taken from COMPLETELY DIFFERENT angles.

Chalk and cheese, Derek  ;)

And your point is???????????????/   ::)

Derek

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:45:26, 30/10/12 »
Hmmm... sounds a little bit like plagiarism to me.

::)

In that case millions of people every year are guilty of plagiarism !!!!!!!!!!

Derek

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 05:09:17, 31/10/12 »

In that case millions of people every year are guilty of plagiarism !!!!!!!!!!

Derek

That may well be so, but we're not discussing millions of other people are we DEREK?

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: 06:19:58, 31/10/12 »
My opinion is that the photographer has taken a really stunning picture. The subject matter is obviously not original or new found but he has applied his eye and his time to evolve the picture to a higher level. Many people take inspiration from there peers, Fashions change but they also come around again and taking inspiration from something you have seen is perfectly understandable. These upturned boats are very photogenic so why not use the same subject matter that another photographer has used. I expect the judging criteria did not have originality as a major factor. I would imagine with the amount of landscape photographers out there it must be particularly difficult to find an original new found picture. 

Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 08:50:51, 31/10/12 »
there's been a fair amount of controversy though, because that winning photo by David Byrne appears to be a complete rip-off of this one by Peter Clark:

My apologies Glyno.............. it was your use of the term "rip-off" that brought about my original comments.

"rip-off" to me suggested David Byrne copied the image from Peter Clark............. copied as in copy and pasted !

Derek  :)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:41:41, 31/10/12 »

My apologies Glyno.............. it was your use of the term "rip-off" that brought about my original comments.

"rip-off" to me suggested David Byrne copied the image from Peter Clark............. copied as in copy and pasted !

Derek  :)

nooo... My choice of phrase (ie rip-off) probably wasn't the best. I can understand how someone might construe it as me implying the photo being a reprint of the original.

I was merely conveying concerns within certain photographic bodies that the photographer had won the competition with a photo in which he'd blatantly tried to recreate from another.

(not sure I've explained myself too well there)

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:02:32, 06/11/12 »
"... unfortunately I didn’t read the regulations and certain editing like adding clouds ... are not allowed..."

"The changes I made were not major..."

Just add a few clouds, no big deal...
solvitur ambulando

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: 23:47:15, 06/11/12 »
I am rubbish with fuzzy felt as well  ;D
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 16:21:14, 07/11/12 »
Oh the woes of the Digital age
http://www.timparkin.co.uk/2012/10/landscape-photographer-of-the-year-2/
Both sadly and correctly, David Byrne has been disqualified from the competition. We have no more information than what that means. He states
“I have to inform you after a conversation with Charlie Waite I have been disqualified from the Landscape Photographer of the year awards, unfortunately I didn’t read the regulations and certain editing like adding clouds and cloning out small details are not allowed, while I don’t think what I have done to the photo is wrong in any way, I do understand it’s against the regulations so accept the decision whole heartily. I have never passed off my photographs as record shots and the only reason this has come about has been due to my openness about how and what I do to my images. The changes I made were not major and if you go to the locations you will see everything is there as presented”
Now regardless of what we think about the level of manipulation admitted to I think we should let David Byrne be now – he made a mistake that was allowed to creep all the way through to the finals and he should not be persecuted for that. I left a message on the forum saying.
“Really sorry this has happened and I wanted to reiterate that the blog post I wrote about the competition was not intended to attack you personally but to try to point out that three out of the four images that were entered were not compatible with the terms and conditions. I do feel truly sorry that you had to suffer for this because all of this could have been avoided if the competition organisers could have checked things thoroughly.
I should add that your images are very strong and whilst I don’t think they are the best landscape photographs I have seen – they are certainly very good and this situation should not make you think differently.
Don’t forget that if the images had been compatible with the terms and conditions they would still have won, they can’t take that away from you.
My personal favourite is the Delamere forest – a very nice, original image.
I really hope this doesn’t stop your enjoyment of photography and I’m sure you’ll get lots of support from the forum here.”

The forum thread has, rightly or wrongly, been deleted.
We should applaud the organisers for making the right decision and also David for accepting it.
No related posts.

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 07:48:40, 08/11/12 »
This is exactly my point about "digital photography" ........... the amount of manipulation that can be done ........ the picture can be changed any amount up to 100%.
Yes, roll film can be manipulated to a certain degree but very very minor in comparison to digital !

You ever tried removing a lamp post from someones head in a roll film photo ............ easy peasy with digital !!

Derek

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 07:59:57, 08/11/12 »
a 'good' photographer won't get the lamp post there in the first place.

Nearly there

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:43:47, 08/11/12 »
a 'good' photographer won't get the lamp post there in the first place.

::)   ::)

Well I hope you remember that !  ;)

Anyway, I think others might have got the point even if you didn't !  :)

Derek
« Last Edit: 16:32:35, 08/11/12 by Nearly there »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy