Author Topic: Killarney as a base?  (Read 2489 times)

Oldtramp

Killarney as a base?
« on: 15:39:24, 13/02/16 »
I have to go to Dublin for some business in May and was thinking to clear the subsequent few days and head for the hills.  I've meant to see the mountains of SW Ireland for 40 years now, and have never quite got there.

So far as I can see it's possible to get a train to Killarney, taking about 3.5h, to put up in an hotel there for a few days and (1) to use buses (shuttle to Mary Kearney's Cottage or Dunloe) or taxis (I don't drive) to start points to MacGillicuddy's Reeks; (2) to  use a mix of train to Tralee and taxis to reach start points for Slieve Mish summits. Brandon Mtn might also me reachable

To those of you who know the area -- does this look workable?  Or am I missing either fatal flaws or better closer bases to the Reeks than Killarney?

henryb

• Veteran Member
Re: Killarney as a base?
« Reply #1 on: 20:18:39, 14/02/16 »
I would say that Killarney is probably the best location to stay for the Reeks. Brandon is on the Dingle peninsula. Maybe this link may help:http://www.killarneyshuttlebus.com/route-map/?

Oldtramp

« Reply #2 on: 17:21:48, 16/02/16 »
Many thanks, Henry, that's useful

Stephen Mac

« Reply #3 on: 20:02:52, 05/03/16 »
Hi there. Killarney is a fine place to explore the Reeks. The shuttle bus takes you to "Kate" Kearneys cottage or if you prefer Cronins Yard. You can camp or use pods or indeed go self catering at Cronins and there are full facilities there. It would be the perfect place to stay for a couple of days and explore the whole range. If you wish you can contact me nearer the time and I will see if I can help you further. Mt Brandon is a beautiful mountain and well worth going to if you can. I'm not certain of the days but if you check on buseireann website then look for a bus to either Dingle or Cloghane (if traveling from Tralee). Dingle is also a nice town to visit.

Oldtramp

« Reply #4 on: 23:20:51, 06/04/16 »
Apologies, Stephen, for the tardy reply to your kind message. Thanks.  I've finally bought maps, sorted hotels and travel and will be in touch.

HikeyMikey72

« Reply #5 on: 18:49:57, 08/05/16 »
Did you make it OT?  Happy to tag along if you are this way again....
”It’s impossible” said pride. “It’s risky” said experience. “It’s pointless” said reason. “Give it a try” whispered the heart......

Oldtramp

« Reply #6 on: 19:16:46, 08/05/16 »
Will be there from the 15th to 21st; logistics finally sorted out.

HikeyMikey72

« Reply #7 on: 00:10:06, 09/05/16 »
Im heading the other direction and doing Pennine Way 19th to 29th May. Next time you are in Ireland I live up in the Wicklow National Park and would be happy to guide here. Only an hour from Dublin airport. You will love Kerry. Kerry Way is fabulous if you had the time. Kate Kearneys is a must. Friendly bunch round Cronins Yard. Plenty of like minded peeps heading up to Carrauntoohill daily. Killarney is just stunning. Have you Instagram for pictures. If so i am under hike360. Enjoy....
”It’s impossible” said pride. “It’s risky” said experience. “It’s pointless” said reason. “Give it a try” whispered the heart......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy