Author Topic: Do you hike in the winter?  (Read 6763 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Do you hike in the winter?
« Reply #45 on: 19:43:58, 02/11/18 »
I did not do much walking this summer far too hot. Now I am out weekly
I try to keep it steady all the year round. Go early, go high in summer. Lie in a bit longer in winter.
Solvitur Ambulando

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 07:30:37, 03/11/18 »
Yes love winter walking, probably more than when it’s hot.
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Moreandy

« Reply #47 on: 14:01:25, 03/11/18 »
I prefer to walk in the Autumn & Winter its quieter on the hills

Chump

« Reply #48 on: 09:45:29, 10/11/18 »
For me it's all about embracing the season. Going with it, rather than fighting against it, so to speak. I love getting out into the hills when they're snow-covered, expecting progress to be slower and navigation to be more challenging - but more rewarding. Night navigation exercises are immensely fun; if done regularly the constellations become companions, rising earlier as the season progresses. Plus, there's never anyone else around when it's dark. 

When there's snow in the hills the tracks of foxes can be followed for miles and the activities of mountain hares can be more easily interpreted for the same reason. Golden eagles can be more easily seen because they have fewer hours of daylight in which to hunt and so must be active for a greater portion of it. As early as February, ravens begin displaying. I never cease to be amazed by the tenacity of species, such as ptarmigan, which spend the whole winter in the high hills - and the wonder of the evolutionary adaptations which allow them to do so.

If it's too stormy for the hills then embracing that fact and heading to the coast is the best way to beat the winter blues/SAD* - there's nothing quite so life-affirming. The superficially bleak mudflats of the Solway Firth are at their best when it's stormiest, especially when the sky fills with tens of thousands of barnacle geese and other birds which have migrated to be there.

Anyone who fails to embrace winter is missing out on some of the most spectacular of life's experiences.

*In my - non-medical - opinion SAD is the direct result of believing that there's nothing worth doing in winter other than closing the curtains and watching reality TV until the clocks turn forward again in Spring.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 10:25:54, 10/11/18 »

If it's too stormy for the hills then embracing that fact and heading to the coast is the best way to beat the winter blues/SAD* - there's nothing quite so life-affirming. The superficially bleak mudflats of the Solway Firth are at their best when it's stormiest, especially when the sky fills with tens of thousands of barnacle geese and other birds which have migrated to be there.

+1 to heading for the coast. We have some fantastic deserted beaches in north east Scotland and good opportunities to spot wildlife: seals, dolphins, eiders and many other seabirds and waders We also have otters, bitterns and other rare visitors, such as egrets and smew and many thousands of geese. The beaches can be up to 15 miles long and in places are backed up by fantastic sand dunes.

Doddy

« Reply #50 on: 15:19:03, 10/11/18 »
I realised a few years back I was walking/tenting only between March and October. I thought B n B's ere restrictive and prices were a bit steep, so I changed my car to Citroen Berlingo and made a bed and bits to turn it into a micro-camper for trips. I can now do long weekends in it with a couple of day walks. I have used it ski in Scotland and arranged trips to get to the odd bothy or two as well.

Telluric

« Reply #51 on: 16:42:22, 10/11/18 »
Winter walking is something I’ve never really tried but I’m definitely going to give it a go this winter, reading the comments on this thread is only adding to my enthusiasm. Still not sure if I’m ready to try a Wildcamp in the middle of January, but never say never.

Doddy

« Reply #52 on: 19:06:39, 10/11/18 »
I have wild camped in the winter, helps if you can pitch your tent in the dark with a headlamp. If possible I choose a pitch not far from a pub then have a meal in the pub and  return to the pitch and put the tent up in the dark.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 20:18:58, 10/11/18 »
Currently in Snowdonia, Tanygrisiau to be precise for a long weekend walking in the Moelwynion. We thought we would just take the dog for a walk up to Llyn Cwmorthin in the dark, very atmospheric with head torches. Anyway we got back to our rented cottage, showered, found out that Wales had beaten Australia, tidy and then noticed a pretty sizeable tick in Twms tail, good thing he has that white tip so typical of collies otherwise I wouldn’t have seen it. The revolting thing is now deceased and no more to be seen, but we’re up that way tomorrow so hopefully not pick another one up.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 20:51:33, 10/11/18 »
Really dependant on how severe the windchill is, but living within easy walking distance of the Rhinogs, i find i am out walking far more often than when i was in South Wales.
When you are living so close to the hills, you often take them for granted, and do not venture out as often as someone who has made a serious effort to get there, but i am currently reading the book " The Gold Mines of Merionrth" long out of print and written by GW Hall.
The historical walks in and around Trawsfynydd and the Barmouth area, in relation to the Gold mines that were in operation back in the early 1900s, draws you into the hills, wanting to explore the disused workings, and many of them are within walking distance from my front door.

Weather permitting, i have certainly ventured out into the hills at least twice a week, sometimes more during the winter months, and having moved to Dyffryn some years ago, i have not neglected the mountains on my doorstep, but this week the weather has been so wet that ive just looked out of the window, keeping snug and warm.

Telluric

« Reply #55 on: 01:14:53, 11/11/18 »
I have wild camped in the winter, helps if you can pitch your tent in the dark with a headlamp. If possible I choose a pitch not far from a pub then have a meal in the pub and  return to the pitch and put the tent up in the dark.

Thanks for the advice Doddy, I’ll remember this.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy