Author Topic: Pennine Way and the price of a pint  (Read 24559 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Pennine Way and the price of a pint
« on: 14:42:07, 11/03/20 »
This is a tricky post to write to you lot because basically I am going on a walk I've wanted to do for most of my life, you all probably wish you were going too, and yet I'm going to ask you to give some money to charity.

If you were on the forum 4 years ago then, as I could talk of nothing else, you will know that my son Robert was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer and he, aged 18, got a variant which had only ever occurred in babies. He had a scary 18 months of very high dose chemotherapy, major surgery, radiotherapy and even more chemo, (you never want to hear a surgeon refer to a tumor as 'the size of a marrow'). He was eventually pronounced cancer free and now just has regular scans to make sure he is still OK.

This summer he will graduate from university and, having been supported by them through his illness, is raising money for the Teenage Cancer Trust.

He, with me tagging along, is planning to walk the Pennine Way. If this was not the Walking Forum then I would tell you what a tough 268 miles it will be. While that may be true you know that it is also one of great long distance walks through stunning scenery and that I could not be more excited about walking it. We had it all planned for the year he was ill and, at the time as I cancelled all the accommodation, I thought that we would never walk it together.

Despite the fact that I'm going to have a wonderful time I am still going to try to get you to part with your cash. Not because of what we are doing but because of the great work that the Teenage Cancer Trust does, I hope that none of you ever need to use their services.
If you can support them donations can be made at Justgiving, link below.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/robertpw

I know we all have commitments and calls on our finanaces but if you could possibly donate the price of a pint, or even a whole round if you are feeling generous, it would be much appreciated.

Obviously should we ever meet I will get the drinks in.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way and the price of a pint
« Reply #1 on: 15:14:43, 11/03/20 »
Wow, what a scary time. And what a worthy cause.

Good luck with the walk, and with the fundraising, Robert and Ridge. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:44:10, 11/03/20 »
Thanks Richard, yes it was a scary time.
We weren't going to start fundraising quite so early, the walk isn't until 20th June, but then some people found out that we had a Justgiving page and it has started to snowball.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:23:19, 11/03/20 »
Thanks Richard, yes it was a scary time.
We weren't going to start fundraising quite so early, the walk isn't until 20th June, but then some people found out that we had a Justgiving page and it has started to snowball.
  It is a scary thing in one of your own children.  I'll never forget the day my son's shaky voice came on the phone and asked to speak to mum.  Could luck for a worthy cause.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:39:22, 11/03/20 »
That must be awful on the phone ninthace, at least with my boy I was always with him and we only slowly found out quite how serious it was.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:47:26, 11/03/20 »
Good luck with the walk ridge,
Best wishes beefy O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:54:32, 11/03/20 »
Good luck Robert and Ridge. Hope the weather is kind and you have a fantastic walk O0

watershed

« Reply #7 on: 17:12:30, 11/03/20 »
Good luck Guys you can do it a worthy cause. Proud of you

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:16:45, 11/03/20 »
Good luck to you both!

May meet you somewhere along the 'Way'.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:28:50, 11/03/20 »
That must be awful on the phone ninthace, at least with my boy I was always with him and we only slowly found out quite how serious it was.
On the positive side, in our case it was over fairly quickly.  He had testicular cancer and they moved very fast but as you say it is worrying when it is one of your own.  I got to know the motorway network from the N to the S pretty well.  Good news is he is now married and had his first child last August.  Hope you both make it and it stays fine for you,
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:58:24, 11/03/20 »
Thanks everyone for the donations.
Good to hear your son is OK ninthace.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:05:18, 11/03/20 »
A horrible time but a wonderful outcome - best of luck with the trek and your fundraising - now a bit higher  O0.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:16:58, 11/03/20 »
Thanks vghikers.

He was trying to raise £5/mile but it is going so amazingly well that we may have to up the target to £5/km though I don't know if I approve of that as kilometers mean nothing to me.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:24:38, 11/03/20 »
Thanks vghikers.

He was trying to raise £5/mile but it is going so amazingly well that we may have to up the target to £5/km though I don't know if I approve of that as kilometers mean nothing to me.
  Km are much nicer.  They go quicker, OS maps are in km and 5kph is roughly 3 mph so the sums are easier.  I use nothing else these days.  In your case, you will also raise more cash if sponsored by the km and 430 km sounds much further so it is more impressive.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:07:21, 11/03/20 »
Such a good news thread - good luck Ridge and Robert - enjoy the walk for such a very worthy cause.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy