Author Topic: Walk clashes  (Read 2477 times)

MarkT

Walk clashes
« on: 22:52:13, 27/05/18 »
A couple of things.

I coincidentally planned my walk today with the exact same route as a Club event  and walked a section of the Essex Way from Harwich to Mistley. The runners were setting off 90 minutes after i had walked past the start area and I knew I would be caught up as the trail is approx 13 miles long.

I was passed by the lead runner 2 hours 15 mins later and my walk kind of changed from then on. I seemed to be constantly looking behind me in case there was any other runners. Instead of looking forwards taking in the views I was more concerned about what was  behind. I was also trying to be nice and fair, letting the runners pass without slowing them down. But along some sections, the paths are narrow and overgrown and I know I did slow down some of the competitors. Most who i affected or let pass were polite and said thankyou but there were a few who made me feel as though I was in there way. One marshal advised me to give way to runners which I kind of did but it is public footpaths so I have a right to be there too I replied!

However i would like to thank the organisers as their sign posts and distant makers made the walk easier despite the distractions.  And the water station people were great as even though I wasn't part of the event they still let me have refreshments which was needed on this sunny Sunday.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Walk clashes
« Reply #1 on: 23:16:43, 27/05/18 »
A long-planned multiple-day walk I completed last September happened to coincide with a 24-hour triathlon that was taking place on part of the same route. I didn't actually meet any of the competitors but I followed some of the way they had run earlier, where the already very wet path had been turned into an absolute quagmire, which slowed me down considerably.
Not only that, but I innocently followed their obvious muddy trail where they deviated from the proper path and thus I followed a steep way that contoured a severe wooded slope, beyond which I had to pick my way across a rock field, all of which I should have avoided..

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:13:08, 28/05/18 »
That's never happened on a walk.  Though on the pen y fan horse shoe runners kept wizzing passed practicing for an event.  I did get caught up in a cycle race between Malaga and Gibraltar many years ago.  That was rather fun as I recall.  Far less marshaling in those days so I stayed with them for a while.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:13:44, 28/05/18 »

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:28:28, 28/05/18 »
 These organised runs on off road trails need to be limited.To be honest there is little need for these events as most athletic clubs have a cross country season that is run on established courses.

Barnoe

« Reply #5 on: 10:30:38, 28/05/18 »
Same thing happened to me when i did the Pennine way a few years back.
when i got to Pen-y-ghent i decided to go to the top rather than walk by, this was a bad idea!!
crowds of runners was doing the 3 peak challenge, to say it was annoying jumping out of there way every few seconds is an understatement.
totally ruined the pleasure.
Im doing the Pennine way again next year, if i see as many as 3 people ill skip it next time :)

dank86

« Reply #6 on: 23:54:45, 28/05/18 »
I haven't had it walking but I was in a cycle 'race' that was happening at the same time as a triathlon. Not to bad you'd think expect one section of the course where the Tri people were cycling had us going head on towards each other on a single track lane.... How there wasn't more accidents I'll never know 20+mph towards each other is never good especially when people ride looking down thinking there's nothing oncoming

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:48:54, 29/05/18 »

I had a real clash with an Oxfam sponsored run and walk in the Dales. There were thousands of people going from Skipton up through Malham. I met the front runners near fountains fell - no problem they were few and spaced out. By the time I got to Malham tarn the crowds increased and we were going against the tide. Most were good natured and because Midge was blind he occasionally bumped in to people but they were understanding. Later above the cove the path was completely blocked with them and they forced us off the main path onto the rocks at the side and if Midge bumped into people some of them were annoyed. By the time I got to the stiles the sponsored walkers had monopolised them and a couple going in the opposite direction could not get over because of the press of people. I waited then I had enough and insisted that they let us over. A bloke pushed his face right into mine and said spat out "We ARE doing this for charity you know!" As it happened I was walking John O Groats to Lands End for charity, 1200 miles over 2 months not just a few mile on a bank holiday so I gave it him with both barrels.

I have a problem with sponsored events monopolising the countryside - the Y3P and the national 3P  two obvious examples of how to make the hills unpleasant for others.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:33:58, 29/05/18 »
I had a real clash with an Oxfam sponsored run and walk in the Dales. There were thousands of people going from Skipton up through Malham. I met the front runners near fountains fell - no problem they were few and spaced out. By the time I got to Malham tarn the crowds increased and we were going against the tide. Most were good natured and because Midge was blind he occasionally bumped in to people but they were understanding. Later above the cove the path was completely blocked with them and they forced us off the main path onto the rocks at the side and if Midge bumped into people some of them were annoyed. By the time I got to the stiles the sponsored walkers had monopolised them and a couple going in the opposite direction could not get over because of the press of people. I waited then I had enough and insisted that they let us over. A bloke pushed his face right into mine and said spat out "We ARE doing this for charity you know!" As it happened I was walking John O Groats to Lands End for charity, 1200 miles over 2 months not just a few mile on a bank holiday so I gave it him with both barrels.

I have a problem with sponsored events monopolising the countryside - the Y3P and the national 3P  two obvious examples of how to make the hills unpleasant for others.

What is Y3P? 3peaks?

Reading this thread is making me realize how truly unspoiled Dartmoor still is.  I walked out to Cranmere Pool yesterday evening,  a beautiful sunny bank holiday and did not see, let alone bump into one other soul. Just myself the ponies and the sound of bird song, bliss?

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:10:23, 29/05/18 »

What is Y3P? 3peaks?

Reading this thread is making me realize how truly unspoiled Dartmoor still is.  I walked out to Cranmere Pool yesterday evening,  a beautiful sunny bank holiday and did not see, let alone bump into one other soul. Just myself the ponies and the sound of bird song, bliss?

Yorkshire 3 peaks (I think).

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:47:08, 29/05/18 »
Yorkshire 3 peaks (I think).
Which peeks be they?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:07:33, 29/05/18 »
I don't let how others wish to use the country bother me.  I  try to be good mannered to others, BUT I  expect others to be aware of me and be good mannered also. I have been very lucky so far I have no memorable negative incidents at all with other humans.It is important for everyone to share the countryside in whatever non damaging way they choose. I go on the motto use it or lose it.

As for organised events in public places then the organisers should be called to task as it is their duty to let the runners/cyclists know they have to be aware of and probably give way to walkers. They have to emphasise the point that they are sharing the track.
Too little, too late, too bad......

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:14:35, 29/05/18 »

What is Y3P? 3peaks?

Yorkshire 3 Peaks and the National 3 Peaks of Ben Nevis, Scafell Pikes and Snowdon. Snowdon can be unbearable at weekends from  now until the end of August at weekends because of the numbers going up on various charity events and the Nat 3P. The year before last I was trying to take my truck with a trailer carrying at least a ton of building stuff up the road from the Vic Hotel, there was some many people on the road I could not make headway, eventually I was forced off the tarmac and onto gravel at the side on the steep bit beneath Stephan's cafe, they did not  think I had any right to be on the road.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:08:48, 29/05/18 »
Which peeks be they?

Pen Y Ghent, Whernside, Ingleborough. 24 mile (ish) round trip.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:08:39, 29/05/18 »
[quote author=Barnoe link=topic=36534.msg520311#msg520311 date=1527499838
Im doing the Pennine way again next year, if i see as many as 3 people ill skip it next time :)

You just need to make sure you avoid PYG and Horton at the weekend and you’ll be fine. We were there on a Wednesday when walking the PW and it was empty (also very wet though!)  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy