Author Topic: A very quiet Swaledale round - we think everyone else is in the Lakes.  (Read 3988 times)

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Me and himselft had a fantastic afternoon out today doing this walk http://dittzzy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/land-of-hornywink.html

Company for the day included a stoat, hundreds of rabbits, loads of lapwings, curlews, skylarks, meadow pippets and sheep.  We did cross paths with 3 other walkers in the whole of the 8 miles.

A few pictures from today, (rather than the ones on the blog)  This is at the start of the walk. 

Open moorland everywhere.  Quite lovely.  The air was so clear we could easily see over to the Yorkshire Moors

This is a Field Pansy.  A flower usually found in the South and East of England.

And a proper pack horse bridge at the old gang mines. 

I absolutely love Swaledale.    :) :)

bootson

• Veteran Member
Really beautiful photos.  :) Want to go there now  O0 Love that Pack horse bridge

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Just been reading your blog dittzzy.  I love the photos.  When we were in the Dales last month we were amazed by the number of lapwings and curlews.  They were really noisy too.  I remember when I was young there used to be loads of lapwing on Dartmoor, but sadly I haven't seen one there for many years.  I think they are probably extinct there now.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Want to go there now  O0

I'm with you on that one ;) .  Swaledale is my favourite dale.

Just been reading your blog dittzzy.  I love the photos.  When we were in the Dales last month we were amazed by the number of lapwings and curlews.  They were really noisy too.  I remember when I was young there used to be loads of lapwing on Dartmoor, but sadly I haven't seen one there for many years.  I think they are probably extinct there now.

I'd love to get closer to the curlews, I love their sound and I'd love to get some decent photographs of them.  And thank you for liking my photo's.    :) :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Dittzy I am totes confused-the only one I find on t blog is a year old? Yet you say yesterdays walk? :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Dittzy I am totes confused-the only one I find on t blog is a year old? Yet you say yesterdays walk? :-\

Yep, we did the same walk as the one I did a year ago.  It was as good a walk this time as it was last year.  Sorry to confuddle you Pleb.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member

Sorry to confuddle you Pleb.

It doesn't take much Tracy!  ;)

Lovely photos.  I remember the meet we had up that way a few years ago.  I've always wanted to return to Swaledale since then O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos.  I remember the meet we had up that way a few years ago.  I've always wanted to return to Swaledale since then O0

Well, you are more than welcome, just say the word.   O0 O0

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Thanks for the TR and link to your blog, both were great to read and must admit to whipping my OS sheet out and checking your route which I'll commit to memory for future use  O0
It was only a few years back, when tracing my family tree, that I visited Arkengarthdale - which is not too far away from your walk, and was pleasantly surprised by the whole area. I didn't find what I was looking for in Arkle Town but discovering the area was more than compensation.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Ian chamberlain

It looks a great place to wear my boots out. Great photo's.
Ema katalavina dipodar

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Thanks Ian.  Swaledale is awesome. 

Murphy

Been going to Thwaite for a week in October for last 12 years.  Fabulous place.........love Swaledale. 

Ian chamberlain

Roll on the summer.
Ema katalavina dipodar

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy