Author Topic: Pennine Way for the over 60's  (Read 126770 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way for the over 60's
« Reply #15 on: 10:42:52, 07/01/15 »
there is a youth hostel in the centre of Malham, if that's any help?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:02:33, 07/01/15 »
The YHA in Malham is pretty good. Used it doing the Dales High Way in 2012.
You are going a bit early me for me Vinny, but I will follow you planning with interest if you keep posting, knowing I will be 5 or 6 weeks behind you!
Thanks Sussamb, I will pm you re accommodation. I am grateful for your thoughts re the last legs. Think I will split the Cheviots into two days. As you and others have said; yes it can be done in a oner; and I have no doubt I could do it if I arrive in Byrness in one piece but it looks a toughie and to squeeze your last evening into a couple of exhausted hours seems a shame. I find it hard to stop chasing the clock but in this instance will force myself. Were there any sections you would have preferred to have walked in company; from a navigational or just plain boredom point of view?
Will be in touch soon to see about the two day option Colin and Joyce. Thanks for your comments too!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:23:45, 07/01/15 »
Were there any sections you would have preferred to have walked in company; from a navigational or just plain boredom point of view?

No.  To me it was a personal challenge to do it solo.  As for navigation, I'm pretty confident with that and had no problems.  Most difficult part was across Kinder, as I went up Grindsbrook, across to Kinder Gates then on to Kinder Downfall in poor vis.
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:46:37, 27/01/15 »
That's me set. Accommodation booked. Start Thurs 4th June and hopefully finish on the 19th. Hope the weather gods look down kindly on me and the NHS get my calcified big toe joints corrected in time (the first session was really useful). After a blank 2014 for long distance walks I am looking forward to this. Even though I know in practise I am capable of doing it there is just that bit of apprehension; which makes it interesting. As Slogger says; keep active; keep alive.

john

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:59:00, 27/01/15 »
Good luck. I had an injection in my big toe yesterday, seems like we have the same problem. Doesn't stop me walking though so could be worse.
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:35:03, 27/01/15 »
Like an old car; the parts wear out and you cant get spares. But as long as your brain keeps telling you to put one foot in front of the other; the rest is mostly pain. Got a couple of months to get ready now at least....

videoman

« Reply #21 on: 07:37:37, 28/01/15 »
Starting the week after you finish on 24th June but I am only a mere youngster at 55 but my walking partner has just reached the magic 60 and we will be back packing as much of the way as possible.

Have a great trip and let us all know how you get on and good luck with the toe, I sometimes suffer with the same problem even at my age!

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:03:05, 28/01/15 »
I found the Pennine way a breeze on my JOGLE but I was quite fit by the time I got onto it. I loved doing it with just me and Dog but then again I do love walking on my own.

Videoman - Dog and I will be setting off on the Pennine Bridleway about that time with the occasional sojourn onto the PW where the PBW becomes boring. I am doing this as a change from the PW and partly because, being blind, Dog injured himself on the stiles on our last big trip so I wanted to avoid as many as poss this time. We might bump in to you.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 10:30:02, 28/01/15 »
Will do Videoman. Still a while away yet but it will arrive very quickly no doubt. With a bit of luck I may get another LDW by the year end. You two enjoy also. Being the 50th anniversary it may be a bit busier than usual. Don't mind a company on the odd day. What schedule are you on?

vinny

« Reply #24 on: 14:29:02, 04/02/15 »
The B&B’s all booked. Starting my Pennine way on the 9 April and finishing no the anniversary of the Way opening on the 24 April. Training going well, did a 17 miler yesterday. Roll on Easter.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:29:34, 04/02/15 »
Nice one Vinny.
Looks like you are the same schedule as me. If you get a moment what are your stopping points and where are you staying? Can compare notes!
I think I have a bit of work to do after 2014 when I only did a few munros and some fells in the lake district. Seriously unfit. Did about 8 muddy miles today in just under 3 hours and not exactly weary but know I did it. Trying out new boots; a size bigger than normal to accommodate new inserts for my dodgy big toes and metatarsials. So of course my heels are slopping about.... when one things goes wrong it throws the whole equilibrium out!
Wonder how busy it will be given the 50th anniversary and related publicity. Don't expect C2C crocodiles at stiles but I imagine we wont have the hills to ourselves..
Four months today for me. Just  got to get an early morning lift to Edale as have commitments the day before. Thursday morning start for me. Getting a lift to Hebden Bridge from the M62 on Fri afternoon; then plan to get a cab back on sat am sans pack and have an easy stroll in for the third day...in theory..

John

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:35:36, 04/02/15 »
I am sure its well known but look out for Pennine Way signs that are written in both English and Japanese. Plus a wonderful coffee and cake shop in Gargrave. Well it was when I was there last year. Directly cross the main road as you enter the village, bus shelter on your right. Wander up the narrow street (its still the Pennine Way) for about 50 yds. Its on the left. I had cherry crumble (made on the premises) and ice cream twice!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:59:11, 04/02/15 »
are you using baggage carriers or taking your own stuff?

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:35:41, 04/02/15 »
I have read about this cake shop on walkers trail reports; so with my well developed sweet tooth; I will be there! Thanks for the steer although I will get past the tourist invasion as swiftly as possible.
I am carrying and think videoman and vinny are too. Feel it is cheating slightly not too. That said I am not camping and so some may say sleeping in a bed at night is cheating; and I imagine I may use the odd track to avoid particularly unpleasant bog if the weather is down; so I don't want to claim too much of the moral high ground. Sherpavan only do baggage from Malham I understand.
16 days and around 14 kg. Should be ok he said confidently

John

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:45:48, 04/02/15 »
I don't think it's cheating as I think it's more important to enjoy your walk and if that means using a carrier, then so be it. I've used carriers and overtaken people carrying huge packs, and I don't recall seeing many of them smiling  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy