Author Topic: West Highland Way - Accomodation  (Read 2909 times)

CarlDav321

West Highland Way - Accomodation
« on: 16:54:19, 11/01/08 »
My mate and I intend to walk the WHW in late June, carrying our tents etc, but want to camp where we can get a meal, cupla beers!! Would it be advisable to book in advance? We intend to do it in 7 days, can anyone help with recommended sites? O0
Thanks in advance.......
Carl

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: West Highland Way - Accomodation
« Reply #1 on: 20:16:29, 11/01/08 »
Ive not done WHW, so I only know bits of it. You can definately wild camp by the river at Bridge of Orchy (not too far from the pub) - but the pitches aren't very good - and by the river just past the pub at Victoria Bridge which has good pitches.
Some people camp by the river near the Kings House Hotel, but its a bit scummy.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Thelenius

« Reply #2 on: 09:58:41, 21/04/08 »
(I'll hijack this thread for my own purposes... as the subject line suits my question better than the original poster's)

Hello from Finland!

I've been planning a trip to Scotland in late May, a large part of which would be spent on the West Highland Way. Now, I've been wondering if it's unrealistic to assume one could find accommodation "on the fly", without booking in advance? It would just be so much nicer if I could decide on the spot to, for example, spend the night in a different place, earlier/later than intended, or even maybe spend one day more in place X, without it screwing up the travel plan. I'm a novice in both hiking and this kind of travel, so I don't really know what to expect.

I won't be carrying camping gear (not enough experience), so that's not an option. Also, I will be traveling alone.

So, should I be busy making reservations or what?

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:45:40, 21/04/08 »
Hi Thelenius - welcome to the forum....

On balance, my opinion is that you'd probably be best trying to book beds in advance despite the fact that this ties you to your route. You might be able to find beds "on the hoof", but its a gamble, specially in W. Scotland where villages are small and spread out.

Also, you don't the fall-back option of a tent - and the end of May is a time where there are various public holidays where everybody and his dog descends on the Highlands - I couldnt find a bed between Fort William and Crianlarich one weekend in May a couple of years ago and ended up at Killin which, in terms of walking would have been several days away from Ft William.. >:(
I'd suggest that after a day's walking, you wouldn't want this sort of hassle, or having to get a taxi miles off-route for a  bed. O0

Thelenius

« Reply #4 on: 11:13:57, 21/04/08 »
OK, thanks.

Now all I have to do is to figure out what is the best way to make those reservations...

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:20:04, 21/04/08 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy