Author Topic: Minster Way  (Read 10223 times)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: Minster Way
« Reply #15 on: 16:42:42, 25/04/08 »
Well, I did it .. most of it anyway  :-\

I started in Beverley and walked through to Nth Dalton, following the route from the leaflets Ogy kindly sent to me, which was around 14 miles, and then was dropped off at the same spot the following morning at 6.30am and walked to Stamford Bridge.  I was kind of dead on my feet by the end of the second day, and knew that I had taken on too much and so it was with some relief that my lift for the last day never materialised, and I was unable to complete the last 14 or so miles from Stamford Bridge to York.

All in all, it was as I expected it to be, though the weather was kind of unpredictable - hard rain to bright sunshine to hail to snow, though thankfully the wind wasn't too violent. I have no desire to go walking in a gale again.

I aim to complete the last section in a few weeks, pending childcare arrangements, but should be ok.  Ogy, if you're interested, would love to meet up in Stamford Bridge and walk the distance with you (or you can run, and I'll meet you at York Minster for a bevvy or two  ;)).

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:13:59, 25/04/08 »
Splendid report Mr B.  How was the route in it self..............  Be ACE to see some piccy of the way if you got time.   Mint b@lls Mr b...........
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

ogy

« Reply #17 on: 21:04:25, 25/04/08 »
I've been so focused on the Cleveland Way that I near forgot about this walk.

How easy was it to navigate, Had it changed much from the olde book??

Great idea to finish it with you, Let us know when mate

On a sub note I actually worked in Stamford Bridge at the plastics factory years ago and often used to run home. Nowadays though I'd opt for the car after a days graft ;D ;D
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Solofool

« Reply #18 on: 22:59:03, 25/04/08 »
Lol guys, nice report mr B, ogy glad you got the mat m8y, about your running training i was reading a trail journal of a guy that had just completed the PCT in the US 2,500 miles or so, anyway he finished the walk and was in supreme condition and on day 2 of being home thought he would go for a run as he was bored and as he was super fit thought he would keep up his fitness by running so off he went thinking he would do a 10 mile run and promptly collapsed after 1 mile as he legs were not conditioned to running, made me laugh !!! Time to speak to the big boss and see if he will give me a sebatical of 6 months so i can do the AT in the US (if only, 6 months on the trail, what a dream that is)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:00:55, 28/04/08 »
Thanks Solofool.

Er .. Ogy, regarding the route. It was exquisitely signposted (as it always is for noted walks in the same area, e.g. Wolds Way), and the navigation was simple.  Towards the end, I was completely knackered out and one field looked much like another, but it was easy to follow. You shouldn't have much problem. I wouldn't like to say on a night, though, you might have a problem there.  :-\

I'll check my diary re meeting up in Stamford Bridge. I need to give UKmase a date for the Yorkshire 3 Peaks, but should be able to manage another decent hike in between - probably a Saturday in May if that's ok with you??

Regards  O0

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:52:35, 28/04/08 »
Hi folk.., can anyone suggest a small'ish LDW, maybe about a week to finish as reading everybody's posts has made me want to do an actuall ldw, ive done loads of wild camping and trekking to different spots in the lakes but never a proper start to finish ldw..,Honestly i'd like to try one this summer.., any ideas ?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 00:07:46, 29/04/08 »
Darksky why not try out the Ribble way it about 60 miles I havent got the book in fornt of me as working atm, but it should make it bout  10 miles a day should crack it.... 
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:17:58, 29/04/08 »
Yoredale Way? about 100 miles.

I did most of the northern section, without realising, when I was a child as we holidayed near Kirkby Stephen and it is nice walking.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 10:06:14, 29/04/08 »
Something around 75 to 100 miles would be just about a week's comfy walking, I would guess - so as well as the ones already suggested, there's also the Dales Way, Hadrians wall (very busy one, I think) - or West Highland Way. Cumbria Way looks quite good... spilt for choice, really. St Cuthberts Way is a bit of a gem, in my opinion (Melrose to Lindisfarne). There's a nice long walk around the coast of arran - probably called the Arran coastal path (!!)
I  quite fancy doing the Dales Way myself. I think it could be quite a relaxing wander...

Or (dare I suggest) - you could invent your own route!-  A circular tour of the Lake District linking up the 2500 foot+hills (I think there's probably a few of these type of things already) all the Yorkshire dales 2000-foot tops.....-  an Isle of man end-to-end (theres the Millenium Way which almost does this) - The Scottish/English Border Berwick to Gretna (tough one!).... Aaaargh.....overload....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:12:30, 29/04/08 »
I'm interested in either St. Cuthbert's Way or Cumbria Way for some time in August .. I'm an undecided fellow at best.

Personally, DS, I would consider a 60 miler for your first LDP. For example, the foresaid Minster Way (we'll just pretend for a moment I completed it  ;))  If you like your camping, then this is all for you, and could be comfortably done in 4 days - or uncomfortably done in 3.  Or, if you're anything like Ogy, completed in agony in 1!!  :P  But I think it's short enough to know if LDPs are for you or not.

Have a look in the local libraries near you, there must be some walks like this in your area.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 23:13:12, 29/04/08 »
Cheers you lot..,im going to the library tomorrow so i will have alook at some of the walks mentioned... O0
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 23:21:41, 29/04/08 »
darksky

Have a look at this

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/paths/pathsregion.html#National

Your library should have a copy of the Ramblers Association yearbook (cant remember exactly what its called, but the librarian ought to be able to find it by cross-referencing. It'll have a list like the one on the link - all the LDP's with distances and a little bit of info.

All you have to do is choose your route! O0 (Didnt realise just how many there are to choose from....)

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 23:36:48, 29/04/08 »
Nice one mike i'll do that.., ive just been looking at South Downs Way posted via the link Chris the administrator posted..,it looks really good, do you know of this LDW ?  or has anyone done this ? if so whats it really like ?

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 10:30:04, 30/04/08 »
Sorry, Darksky, I've not much knowledge about the South Downs Way, other than what the RA peeps say about it....

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 22:45:40, 30/04/08 »
Went to the library today and totally got side tracked talking to a lovely woman sat next to me whilst we were using the libraries computers..,anyway we aranged to meet up there tomorrow so was totally worth getting side tracked if you ask me  haha ;D.., Yeh got a good book today from a charity shop i go to, to buy books from, its a walkers companion all about Wales, 20 superb walks/climbs complete with route maps and colour photographs, it was only 50p.., its got all the big names in,in mountains and walks.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy