Author Topic: East midlands walking groups???  (Read 2713 times)

Emma

East midlands walking groups???
« on: 13:25:24, 12/08/07 »
I am again looking for walking groups within the east midlands area - i  am on the lincs/leics/notts border area and although lone walks are fine (just done Hadrian's wall alone  :) ) sometimes its nice to walk with others. I am a member of the ramblers and walk with a 20s-30s group, but feel that a change is in order. I have googled but keep finding the ramblers 20s-30s groups and no others  - i'm sure there are more out there!
Anyone have any links to any groups?

Thanks.

Feriol

Re: East midlands walking groups???
« Reply #1 on: 20:09:12, 12/08/07 »
Check with the local councils, many have a program of guided walks. although these tend to be short, to appeal to more people.
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Emma

« Reply #2 on: 20:32:49, 12/08/07 »
Thanks, had a look there - they are short walks, but they are looking for volunteer walk leaders - maybe i could do that instead :-\ - would make a change.

Feriol

« Reply #3 on: 20:41:42, 12/08/07 »
I'll have a look in a bit and see if i got any info for any established groups.
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Feriol

« Reply #4 on: 21:02:24, 12/08/07 »
Sorry i cant find anything. i used to have a directory, i think from a magazine, but can't find it. Perhaps you could start one?
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Emma

« Reply #5 on: 21:22:42, 21/08/07 »
Thanks for looking.

After me saying quote :  'i'm sure there are more out there...' ... I'm no longer sure!

Feriol

« Reply #6 on: 22:47:23, 21/08/07 »
In the past, i have become aware of several walking groups around leicester, but i like to walk alone or with close friends, so never joined in.

I think part of the problem is that walking groups tend to be more local groups. 'East Midlands' is far to broad to find anything. The Groups i was aware of were set up in smaller communities. i seem to recall 'Oadby and Wigston Ramblers' for example. As a result of this, they only advertise locally.

It has given me an idea for a website though, since i was unable to find any online directory or resource for walking groups.
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:09:04, 22/08/07 »
 You could try one of the LDWA groups,I think there is one in Lincolnshire.Be prepared for a hard 25 miles hack over rough country in 6-7 hours.Most members tend to be in their sixties or older.I used ot a member when I was in my twenties and couldn't keep up with these older guys!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy