Author Topic: Using GPS on a mobile phone abroad  (Read 2756 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Using GPS on a mobile phone abroad
« Reply #15 on: 00:01:26, 16/01/18 »
Mel, that's Interesting, is that just an observation or is it documented?  I know when we headed up Snowdon last month  I  ended up restarting my phone, before I got a GPS position.  First time I had used it away from the local area.  But I assumed the phone was just playing up, as they can.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 06:51:44, 16/01/18 »
Newer phones may use GLONASS as well as GPS and may have a better A-GPS system, which uses mobile phone masts to give an approximate position, this allows the GPS chip to locate and lock on to satellites quicker.  It also takes longer if you've moved some distance from the last place you had a satellite lock, and of course takes longer if you start moving without first achieving a lock.  The later applies to dedicated GPS as well as phones.
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:21:49, 16/01/18 »
It was just an observation BuzyG.

Cheers sussamb for confirming I wasn't just imagining it  :D

humansnail

« Reply #18 on: 20:28:24, 17/01/18 »

Thanks Mel - will try getting a lock while faffing about at the car before heading off on my next walk.

With a quick google I did come across quite a lot of info about improving the gps on Samsung phones. It seemed to suggest tightening the screws on the back - under the flap (around the bit that you put the battery in) can make a big difference to the gps. Sounds daft, but when I find a screw driver with a tip that will actually fit, I'll give it a go.

I very rarely use it, but it is a very reassuring thing to have when out walking solo (when it works!)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:30:46, 17/01/18 »
No need really, think that screw thing is just rubbish, just switch your GPS on while you're getting ready so it gets a lock before you start.  It'll take longer to get a lock if there is no mobile signal (so no A-GPS) or if you've moved a considerable distance from the last time it had a lock.
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:47:59, 17/01/18 »
Also I think Samsung give  you a choice in the stings to make Location more accurate by choosing to use mobile masts. So go to settings,  location , and switch on the improve location switch.

That or its older equivalent, which can be found by googling, may hel you a bit. That us if you haven't  already done it.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:38:19, 18/01/18 »
Thanks Mel - will try getting a lock while faffing about at the car before heading off on my next walk.

With a quick google I did come across quite a lot of info about improving the gps on Samsung phones. It seemed to suggest tightening the screws on the back - under the flap (around the bit that you put the battery in) can make a big difference to the gps. Sounds daft, but when I find a screw driver with a tip that will actually fit, I'll give it a go.

I very rarely use it, but it is a very reassuring thing to have when out walking solo (when it works!)

I'd agree with sussamb about the screw thing.  I don't have the back fastened on mine (it's got a clip on flip case cover thing).

All I do is switch the location/gps thing on and fire up ViewRanger as soon as I stop then tap the little compass so the gps starts to "look" for me then get my gear sorted whilst it's doing that.  When I'm ready to set off, the grey circle has turned red (or blue, depending which device I'm using) meaning it's got a lock.  I've never had to wait for it beyond the boots and rucksack on routine.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy