Author Topic: Midges  (Read 8541 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Midges
« on: 23:12:47, 11/04/06 »
Whats the best solution to the dreaded midge problem?

stuart

Re: Midges
« Reply #1 on: 13:15:35, 25/04/06 »
Avoid Scotland in the summer!!....or use a repellent with DEET in it. Its smelly and oily but the Mc Nasties hate it......but yer pays yer money yer takes yer choice

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 18:27:36, 25/04/06 »
Damn those wee bloodthirsty man-eating beasties. So what months are the worst?

What about wearing a bee-keepers hat or a wide brimmed hat with a mosquito net attached, and long sleeved shirts of course?

batfink21

« Reply #3 on: 12:12:31, 24/05/06 »
Best way to avoid midges is to go in early Spring or Autumn.

We went and did the West Highland Way in late April - early May and didnt see a single Midge.

walker1

« Reply #4 on: 12:53:36, 05/06/06 »
Avon skin so soft (scent = fresh, it is the greeny blue bottles) is recommended if you dont like the idea of using DEET. 
I like to use a wee bottle of citronella oil,  the bottles is tiny and hence light and i just dab it on like perfumem.  I hate using bottles of spray stuff that smell horrible and bleach your clothes.

Midges really only bad on west coast from mid june onwards.  You wont be bothered if it raining or if there is a breeze, they are worst in forests or near still water.

At least they dont carry malaria though!!

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 14:04:09, 07/06/06 »
No bites, and oh so soft skin as well. Sounds great. :D

askdavessis

« Reply #6 on: 14:49:51, 24/07/06 »
That Skin so Soft stuff is rubbish! You have to put it on every 5 minutes and it has a baby oil feel to it (don't apply it then go out in the sun like I did - you'll fry)

The best stuff I've used is MozzyOff Cocktail. Its not got any deet in it and it really works too. I got mine in Tiso but you can get it on the website at www.mozzyoff.com [nofollow].
I once set fire to a book I hadn't even read to get rid of the midges! They are sooooo bad up the west coast and no they don't carry Malaria but they attack you in droves.

aarrgghh!

Crag Rat

« Reply #7 on: 12:10:33, 01/08/06 »
Has anyone tried taking garlic oil capsules??  I heard that they are supposed to be effective so I took some when I went to Austria.  I only took them for a short while though as there wasn't really a need for them out there.

.....one drawback - they did repeat on me which was very unpleasant.   :'(
....because it's there....

marmot

« Reply #8 on: 14:10:57, 03/08/06 »
Someone told me that taking vitamin e either orally or spreading the oil from the capsules topically works.
Any experience / truth in this?

pete_inthehills

« Reply #9 on: 10:06:21, 30/08/07 »
we feed garlic to our horses and its supposed to be a natural insect repellent, so lots of garlicy food the night before might be in order.

I tend to use jungle formula which is fairly good.  If you are walking on the west coast, especially skye, look out for a bush called Bog myrtle.  Its got a natural insect repellent in it, break off a few twigs and put them in your hair hippy style and it should help ward them off.

pete
inthehills

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:09:16, 18/09/07 »
Whats the best solution to the dreaded midge problem?
O0 insect killer {PERMETHRIN} sold at NOMAD travel and outdoor.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:53:25, 25/09/07 »
Best way to avoid midges is to go in early Spring or Autumn.

We went and did the West Highland Way in late April - early May and didnt see a single Midge.
will there be any dreaded midgets i mean midgies around the waters in the lakes in October?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

girly

« Reply #12 on: 22:07:49, 19/10/07 »
My Dad gets bitten like crazy and he uses avon skin-so-soft... still gets bitten like crazy, though...  :-\ Only other solution is to have been born in Scotland, you end up kind of immune - I don't notice them mostly!

Deerplay

« Reply #13 on: 23:21:23, 19/10/07 »
Smokers tend to get less bothered by midges. When I smoked I had few problems. When I stopped, over ten years ago the midges found me much more palatable. I'm not however suggesting that smoking is the answer, but people who say they have no problems may be smokers.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:31:33, 29/10/07 »
I know its an oldish post but it seems people are still reading, so with that in mind

. Don't eat cheese

. Try not to drink beer to much ?

. And there is a method on the web by a Scottish walker, which uses marigolds, as midges hate the smell of them (thats why when you go in your hols most hotels have them in their gardens ect.

The cheese and beer,  If you notice that most bites are around your sweat glands, they are attracted to the musty smell from cheese when it is passed through your glands and the yeast from beer, for the same reason.

Also, a bit hard this one but they are also attracted to carbon dioxide but we also need this to live...?
( i suppose, dont breath to much................ :-\)

It stops you eating the little [censored]  :D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy