Author Topic: Our 2 glorious weeks on the Isle of Skye.......  (Read 13390 times)

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
The Isle of Skye…..I love you….totally and utterly love you.  

Myself, wife and 2 kids have just spent 2 weeks based in a cottage in Uig in the North of Skye.  If I start being descriptive about how wonderful it all was I will be late for work in the morning, so a brief summary is as follows

Where – cottage in Uig, Isle of wonderful Skye – with lots of exploring of the island.  
When – 23rd July to 6th August
General weather for the 2 weeks – a few wonderfully clear/sunny days, a couple of windy/wet days and regularly overcast but dry.  No complaints with the weather.  
Midge situation – not as bad as I feared it would be.  Couple of evenings we had to retreat inside but not a problem.  
Highlights – all of it, seriously loved everything about it!!  

Photobucket is driving me nuts today and I do not have the patience or the time to try and sort it any more, so fingers crossed this will work and sorry for there being so many!!  

On the way up we stopped at the beautiful Castle Eilean Donan.  Beautiful.  

The classic view from Sligachan bridge up to Sgurr nan Gillean

The view of Uig Bay from our cottage.  

And watching the tide make its way up the Bay.  

The ruins of Duntulm Castle and Tulm Island.  

Boat trip from Portree  

and the Great Skua.  

Watching a White-Tailed Sea Eagle circle overhead and swoop down to pluck a fish (thrown from our boat) from the water and fly off to feed its chick is an experience that will always be remembered.  Awesome.  

Rha waterfall.  

The Quiraing.  Part of the Trotternish Ridge, formed when Basaltic rock caused a giant land-slip over sedimentary rocks beneath.  Amazing.  

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
Re: Our 2 glorious weeks on the Isle of Skye.......
« Reply #1 on: 00:09:06, 11/08/11 »
The truly remarkable Coral Beach near Dunvegan.  

An exploration of the Waternish Peninsula resulted in this view.   

Then this was the sunset one evening looking over to Harris in the Outer Hebrides.  

A walk into Camasunary Bay with Sgurr na Stri as my our objective.  

From Sgurr na Stri looking back into the Bay and down to Elgol.  

Then from the top of Sgurr na Stri a stunning view of the Black Cuillins.  

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:13:41, 11/08/11 »
Bla-Bheinn is a truly magnificent looking mountain.  

The deer are obviously very used to people – this group let us walk straight past them.  

A day out at the Isle of Skye Highland games was great but being surrounded by lots of people was quite a shock after getting used to the space and peace on Skye.  It was really enjoyable though.  My keen 10yr old daughter even took part in a running race and was rightly proud of her medal.  

Just up the road from our cottage, this was the view to the Black Cuillins.  Wow.  

One evening spent crab-fishing (no crabs) this was the evening sky.  

Really did not need the fire but I love open-fires…so therapeutic.  

The Isle of Skye Crofters museum.  

This small lake (name escapes me) has the clearest still water I ever remember seeing.  It has healing powers (apparently).  

I loved being on this stretch of the Bay whilst the tide came in.  This is perfect time with the kids.  

Whilst on the ferry jetty crab-fishing we regularly saw, and made friends with this fine creature.  He was a real character that follows the fishing boats into the bay and eats the cast offs from the boats and is hand fed by the fishermen.  Such graceful animals.  We fell in love with him and there was genuine sadness when we left him for the last time.  

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:15:02, 11/08/11 »
The beach at Staffin.  We couldn’t see the dinosaur footprint, but loved the beach.  

This is the mightily impressive Kilt Rock, looking North

And South

On the Portree to Staffin road, the view of the Old Man of Storr.  This walk escaped us…guess we’ll just have to go back!!  

The old diatomite workings at Inver Tote.  A nice place to sit and watch the sea.  

Fairy Glen.  I thought it would be rubbish, but I actually loved it.  An odd landscape formed by glacial activity, which was like a mountain range in miniature.  We went back another time because it was so cool and went pond dipping and caught some newts.  Cool.  

The ferry swings into Uig.  Watching the activity on and offs the ferries and the ferry coming in and out was fascinating.  

We went on the ferry to Harris – didn’t get off – just went on the ferry there and back because we like ferries – and it’s a good chance to see some wildlife.  

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 00:17:25, 11/08/11 »
The scenery driving around Skye is truly incredible.

As is Elgol.  We went on the Misty Isle boat trip (thanks for the recommendation IanS) across Loch Scavaig and had an explore around Loch Coruisk.  The weather we had for this day was perfect.  So very lucky.

The view of Bla-bheinn across Loch Slapin.

Highland cows with the Red Cuillin behind.

Uig Bay in the sunshine.

Looking towards the Quiraing.

Another blast on Staffin beach.

Another secluded bay north of Uig.

A walk which was supposed to be up to Beinn Edra, from our cottage briefly gave me stunning views North, South and East to Rassay and the Scottish mainland, but the cloud rolled in all too soon and then heavy rain had me descending all too soon.

Dunvegan Castle

And gardens.

And the seals from the Dunvegan seal boat trip which was great.

Neist Point – totally brilliant place.  Loved it.

A rather chilly grey day exploring the area around Talisker Bay.  Amazing rocks around here.  My rucksack was strangely a lot heavier on the walk back to the car??

I have fallen in love with Skye.

We will return. :)

Matt

O0
« Last Edit: 00:21:44, 11/08/11 by Tryfan75 »

freeas.abird

« Reply #5 on: 00:27:21, 11/08/11 »
Fabulous pics. O0

I smile because it happened. I regret that it is over. KBO.

http://malcolmburton.blogspot.com/

leagn

« Reply #6 on: 03:25:13, 11/08/11 »
 truely and utterly fab pics , you look like you had a great two weeks, am very jealous

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:17:33, 11/08/11 »
Great pics, great scenery - looks like a brilliant holiday :)

Ridge Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:51:31, 11/08/11 »
Wonerfull  pics  O0 O0

The ones of Loch Coruisk  shows why it is a must for anyone visiting Skye. Wether you do the boat trip or take the coastal path via the Bad Step. :)
Also the Scene from Elgol towards the Cullins is IMHO is one of, if not the best view in Brittain  ::) O0 
Wonderfull  :smitten: 

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:52:51, 11/08/11 »
Skye has been on my 'would love to go there' list for ages.  Looks stunning Matt and your photos certainly do it justice  O0

Glad you all had a lovely holiday, 8)

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

mad max

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:55:24, 11/08/11 »
WOW,WOW with a capitol W.Some amazing photo's,the best on the forum for a while,loved all of them but the animal ones blew me away,so blooming lucky.The eagle photo's are my favourites.Glad you enjoyed your trip.
Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:58:34, 11/08/11 »
your holiday looked absoloutely fantastic  :) :)
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:04:12, 11/08/11 »
I second what Max says, I can see why you love the Isle of Skye, gorgeous photo's and gorgeous place to visit, lucky you, another one on my list which is ever growing!!  thank you for sharing with us  O0
Catbells, a truly lovely walk

aljones27

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:25:05, 11/08/11 »
Stunning, was going to go to Skye a few years ago but it never happened for various reasons...Must try again some time.

Beautiful. O0
Wainwrights: 17

Remember to keep smiling...
It really freaks people out as they wonder what you are up to...

http://alastairsmiscellany.blogspot.com

lovinit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:40:02, 11/08/11 »
Incredible pics - so peaceful and they sum up perfectly all that is good in our country. It makes it so hard to understand what is going on in our cities and in some peoples heads  :-[ .  Thanks for posting these  O0
No one can go back in time & make a brand new beginning, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy