Author Topic: Casio Pro Trek Watch  (Read 974 times)

myxpyr

Casio Pro Trek Watch
« on: 19:21:29, 28/08/19 »
I've got a Casio Pro Trek watch with an altimeter.
I need new batteries for the watch and I suspect it need a new seal. I went into Timpsons and the chap in there went on about having to send it away in case the digital display was fading for some reason other than the battery being on the way out. He also said that because it had an altimeter it would have to be sent away so that the altimeter could be re-calibrated.
I've had the watch over ten years in which time I've probably had the batteries changed about three times. I've never had any need for it to be sent away or for the altimeter to be re-calibrated. Wherever I've taken it before they've always done it on the premises in a couple of hours at the most.
As far as I'm aware the only time the altimeter gets adjusted is when I check its readout at a known altitude and adjust the display accordingly.
Is the Timpson bloke trying to con me?

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Casio Pro Trek Watch
« Reply #1 on: 19:43:39, 28/08/19 »
If other shops in the past have replaced batteries there and then with no problems then I'd suspect yes, the Timpsons bloke is trying it on and what he's got in mind is; take your watch, charge you for sending it away and recalibration, when the reality is he'll change the batteries and keep it in the shop for a week  :(

If it's possible, see what another shop says (just ask for the battery to be changed, don't mention calibration or anything the Timpsons bloke said - it might give 'em ideas).

Cynical? Moi?  Never  ;D

myxpyr

« Reply #2 on: 19:53:32, 28/08/19 »
Yes, the more I think about it the more I think it was a con. He said that he couldn't do the batteries because there might be "a non-battery related fault" and they might have to charge me another £70. Maybe a case for Trading Standards >:(

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:56:22, 28/08/19 »
More likely, he didn't want the work and BS'd to get out of it.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:10:41, 28/08/19 »
There "might" be a non-related battery fault?  He can't charge a fortune for that little nugget of "expertise" - that sort of guff is priceless!!

Aren't Timpsons a heel and key shop anyway? 

myxpyr

Pro Trek Watch Altimeter
« Reply #5 on: 20:07:54, 31/08/19 »
Just had new batteries fitted but now the altimeter doesn't seem to be working correctly. I synchronised the barometric setting with a reliable barometer(in our MRT Base) but the height read out seems to be bananas. When I left base I'd manually set the baro to 970Mb (as per the MRT baro) and set the height to 1125 feet - being the altitude of the MRT base.
I then descended to just above sea level on the way home. There had been an expected rise in pressure but the height read out gave 870 feet.
Anyone got any ideas about this? I still need to get the seal and a screw replaced so I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it. :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy