Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 40268 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #150 on: 12:50:49, 05/01/18 »
Heard on the local news last night (ITV Border) that Honister Slate Mine has now submitted an application for a Zip Wire.
In a way I think that this may be good news. It will hopefully concentrate the minds of the people on the planning committee. It would be very hard for them to refuse a zip wire anywhere else in the Lakes if they have OKed one at Thirlmere.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #151 on: 14:43:19, 05/01/18 »
Heard on the local news last night (ITV Border) that Honister Slate Mine has now submitted an application for a Zip Wire.

Was it as biased reporting as the report on the Thirlmere Zip plans?

I watched that video of the Border ITV coverage of Thirlmere Zip Wire in absolute disgust. I reckon it was about 75% of Mike Turner and Rob Johnson and the reporter telling everyone how wonderful the zip wire would be, apparently you won't hear or see it!! What about the 4x4 army trucks driving people up a steep hillside, no mention of that! Doug Chalmers and Terry Abraham only got a short bit of time to put their views against the zip wire.

ITV Border News you are a disgrace  >:(  I will stick to good old Look North from the BBC.

I think it was on twitter, Terry Abraham mentioned he wasn't very impressed either and mentioned the BBC interviews had been more balanced.

It seems that Cumbria Torurism et al are only interested in people who have £500 to spend. Any employees at the proposed zip wire sites won't be welcome to the Lake District either then! People on low incomes can bog off in other words, that isn't very inclusive is it?

Sorry I'm ranting  :-[
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #152 on: 15:07:40, 05/01/18 »
It is even more important now in view of the Honister plans that people get their letters of objection in to LDNP. Please write in if you haven't already

For those that wish to write a letter to LDNP about the zip wire plans here are the links again. The date has been extended to 12/1/18

The planning application
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=7/2017/2298

Send your email to [email protected]
Include your name, address, the date and the application reference 7/2017/2298

Friends of the Lake District info pages - very good advice on here about sending your letter/email
https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/Pages/Site/thirlmere/Category/thirlmere-zip-wires

Sign the Zip Off petition here, 9,760 at the moment
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/say-no-to-zip-wires-across-thirlmere?source=facebook-share-button&time=1511534681

Cumbria County Council have recommended refusal of the Thirlmere Zip because of the "severe risk" of danger to road users.

Buttermere Parish Council are totally against the zip wire plans at Thirlmere. They are against the Honister plans too, they were last time it was refused.

Allerdale Borough Council had no objections, they thought the noise for residents would be at acceptable levels but they live quite a distance from the zip wires.

I know a lot of people on facebook and on this forum have said Honister should have been granted the zip wires a few years ago. I disagree with this view however. The wire would have began from a fell top, Black Star. I can't see the difference between Black Star and Fleetwith Pike being spoiled by a zip wire and Thirlmere being spoiled by one. The same dangerous precedent would be set if a "quarry" would be deemed a suitable place to have a zip wire. Where next, Coppermines Valley? From the Old Man of Coniston down to the quarry buildings? There are quarries and mines all over the Lake District. Force Crag Mine? Yes, Grisedale Pike or Outerside could be a good place for a zip wire, down to the mine! Lakeland no more, rename it Zipland!

Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #153 on: 15:17:02, 05/01/18 »
@ April.     ITV Border News only briefly mentioned that Honister had submitted the planning application, they didn't go into any more detail than that.

The Border News reporter, Fiona Marley Paterson, seems to be defending the zip line on her FB page.   So it's hardly surprising that the news report gave more air-time to Mike Turner, than it did to Terry Abraham and Doug Chambers.

https://www.facebook.com/FionaMarleyPaterson/

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #154 on: 15:41:28, 05/01/18 »
ITV Border News only briefly mentioned that Honister had submitted the planning application, they didn't go into any more detail than that.

The Border News reporter, Fiona Marley Paterson, seems to be defending the zip line on her FB page.

Thanks Lakeland Lorry, I am so wound up at the moment I'd better not go on her fb page  :)
Hate will never win

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #155 on: 15:52:00, 05/01/18 »
This is the view from the top of Fisher Crag, which is a short distance above the proposed western launching platform for the zip wires.  The photo was taken in 2010 on a walk to Armboth Fell.
I never saw anyone else on the climb through Fishercrag Plantation using an old overgrown forest track which led to a footpath rising though an narrow unplanted strip of land to the top Fisher Crag which is the route of the planned access to the launching platform for the west-east zip wires.
The overgrown green forest track has recently been widened and "improved" and a lot of mature deciduous trees have been felled . . . part of ongoing and normal forestry operations say United Utilities, cynics may think otherwise.
By studying the plans which have been submitted to the LDNPA, I reckon that the 4 west-east zip wires would be visible crossing Thirlmere from behind the top of the larch tree on the lower left (assuming it would be still there of course)  The 4 east-west zip wires would be seen terminating on the unplanted area beside the road (lower centre)
Note to Treetop Trek (with apologies to Val Lewton) -  " Let no one say it
                                                                                        (And say it to your shame)
                                                                                        That all was beauty here
                                                                                        Until you came "
ZIP OFF !
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #156 on: 16:08:42, 05/01/18 »
Beautiful pic Brandywell  O0

I like the poem. Was it written by Val Lewton?
Hate will never win

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #157 on: 18:08:13, 05/01/18 »
Somehow you cannot blame these companies, for trying to get their planning applications passed, when other individuals are reaping huge profits.

Zip World Bethesda, is going from strength to strength, and such family centred day outs  attract huge numbers of visitors, many of whom have no interest in the surrounding beauty of Snowdonian

If  planning applications do eventually get passed, it can only benefit the entire area, as these tourists, will have to spend their significant capitol once they are in the area.

The Zip world Snowdonia, has already proven its financial benefits to the area, generating near enough £120m for the local economy, as well as securing local jobs.

Local shops, B&Bs etc will all benefit, which can only be a good thing for Cumbria, if the planning application is successful in February.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of people, both local and visitors, are for or against the proposed new projects.

Not everyone is interested in walking up a mountain, and the majority of visitors who use Zip World Bethesda, do not come there for the scenery, that's the last thing on their mind.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #158 on: 18:31:40, 05/01/18 »

No April it is definitely not too early for a drink. I am heading for a pint right now.

sjwato

« Reply #159 on: 18:39:02, 05/01/18 »
The proposal is for 8 zip wires, to be strung across Thirlmere, with all the associated noise, congestion, intrusive infrastructure and landscape degradation.

There is a demand for thrill-seeking attractions, but not in the heart of the National Park - there are plenty of places in West Cumbria where investment and jobs would welcome and no need to wantonly destroy the the district for commercial greed.

A huge chunk of central Lakeland may be about to be ruined for walkers and all lovers of the outdoors. Virtually every outdoor organisation has a position opposing the application: John Muir Trust, Friends of the Lake District, BMC, National Trust, Open Space Society, Ramblers and the Fell and Rock Climbing Trusts to name a few

The Thirlmere valley is no place for a type of development that more suited to a Theme Park than a National Park and UNESCO World Heritage site. Wantonly vandalising what we've already got adds nothing to the area.

See zipoff.org for more detail and information on how to engage in the planning process.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #160 on: 18:57:04, 05/01/18 »
Not everyone is interested in walking up a mountain, and the majority of visitors who use Zip World Bethesda, do not come there for the scenery, that's the last thing on their mind.

Precisely.  So there's absolutely no reason for their funfair ride to be built in a NATIONAL PARK when it could instead be sited almost anywhere else.
Not all those who wander are lost

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #161 on: 19:00:28, 05/01/18 »
Just what I was going to say Strider, bit I have a bit more   :D

Right. Diddy Dadu. Using this logic, this zip wire could be put anywhere then, because you have said people are not interested in scenery. So why is there any need to put this in the Lake District? Why not place it over a cement factory? Or a land fill site?

Also
The Lake District is not suffering from lack of visitors

Hate will never win

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #162 on: 20:24:48, 05/01/18 »
Thanks for posting that picture Brandywell, lovely view from there.  Undermines the whole 'Thirlmere is man-made so it doesn't matter' argument.

I have a day free Sunday so I may pop down there for a mooch about :)
Not all those who wander are lost

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #163 on: 11:29:14, 06/01/18 »
I have felt compelled to write to the Lake District National Park to object to the proposals to install a number of zip wires across Thirlmere. This is a very pretty view which should not be spoiled by such a "theme park" style attraction but more than that, the proposal flies in the face of the principles on which the concept of the National Park is based, not to mention the practical implications of adding something like 127,000 visitors a year to the very busy A591, the primary through route of the Lake District. The full wording of my objection is too long for here but can be seen at http://www.happyhiker.co.uk/Blog/Hiking%20Pages%20-%20Blog.htm. If you agree, I urge you to object too.  

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #164 on: 13:22:35, 06/01/18 »

I like the poem. Was it written by Val Lewton?

I doubt it,  Val Lewton was a novelist, screen writer, and producer of low budget B movies. I think he 'borrowed' and adapted the last lines from an earlier, short poem, about littering circa 1927.  He featured them on a placard in the opening scene of one of his films and they struck a chord with the American and British public in the1940's, plaques bearing the words began to appear in parks etc.
Friend,
When you stray or sit and take your ease
On heath or hill, or under spreading trees
Pray leave no traces of your wayside meal,
No paper bag, no scattered orange peel,
Nor daily journal littered on the grass;
Others may view these with distaste, and pass;
Let no one say, and say it to your shame,
That all was beauty here until you came.
Anonymous
I like Mr.Lewton's adaptation, splitting the final lines emphasises the message - to us all.

Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy