Author Topic: Footprint. Yes or no?  (Read 3434 times)

Johnny Thunder

Footprint. Yes or no?
« on: 09:44:33, 19/05/20 »
Do you bother with the extra bit of weight or do you just try to be careful where you pitch up?
Are the groundsheets of modern tents that thin they require a footprint?
I can't decide whether to order one or not.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Footprint. Yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: 10:07:05, 19/05/20 »
Are the groundsheets of modern tents that thin they require a footprint?

It depends on your mindset but yes, many are far too thin for our liking. Obviously they do it to reduce the headline weight figures. The only manufacturer we know to stand fast against this trend is Terra Nova, they won't compromise on their groundsheets (though I haven't checked very recently).

The footprint is typically as tissue-thin as the groundsheet, you'll have to judge how much extra protection it gives.
Unfortunately for us, the only tents that satisfy our requirements are those with pathetic groundsheets, so we took the best - but most expensive - option: have the groundsheet replaced with a TN-quality one.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #2 on: 10:25:10, 19/05/20 »
It is actually the Wild Country Helm that I have ordered so I will erect it in the garden and see what quality it is before I decide on the footprint. Thank you for the tip.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:36:22, 19/05/20 »
I have a footprint for my Marmot Pulsar 1P and it's thin and light and only covers the area that I sleep on. In hindsight, I shouldn't have bought it, it was one of those 'it seemed a good idea at the time' moments.

I always carry a larger area groundsheet because I like my porch or part of my porch to be covered as well. The footprint does serve one useful function, however, when it's raining it acts as a template where I can erect the outer tent first and then erect the inner tent in the dry. I can do this without the footprint as well, with four very simple pre-measured lengths of light string with a small loop at each end.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #4 on: 11:42:11, 19/05/20 »
The coverage of the porch area is one of the the main reasons I am considering a footprint.
I could always make a groundsheet to just cover the porch if I find the tent groundsheet acceptable as is.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:48:37, 19/05/20 »
Has anyone tried using a cheap sleeping mat as a footprint?
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:54:21, 19/05/20 »
Wouldn't it become bulky, soggy, and heavy?

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:02:16, 19/05/20 »
Wouldn't it become bulky, soggy, and heavy?
may be bulky. But many people carry them anyway.
Not sure how much moisture they hold, would have to plunge one in a bath and see the before and after masses.
Think I may have one up in the loft.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:21:43, 19/05/20 »
I don't bother with a footprint nowadays, especially if wild camping, as I can usually find a nice soft pitch. The worst that can happen is that I puncture the groundsheet and have to patch it - hardly a big deal.
Campsites can be stony, though, but a bit of old polythene or cheap tarp will do the job just as well as something costing £20 or more.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:23:37, 19/05/20 »
It is actually the Wild Country Helm that I have ordered so I will erect it in the garden and see what quality it is before I decide on the footprint. Thank you for the tip.

Helm 1? I would be interested to hear what you think of it.

PS - I hate a footprint in a tent porch, just catches all the rain and condensation that drips off the edge of the fly, and generally collects mud and mess.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:25:55, 19/05/20 »
The footprint does serve one useful function, however, when it's raining it acts as a template where I can erect the outer tent first and then erect the inner tent in the dry. I can do this without the footprint as well, with four very simple pre-measured lengths of light string with a small loop at each end.

This is a consideration for some inner first pitching tents. Not all, though. Like your string tip. :)  ..and the string can of course double as a spare guyline in stormy conditions.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:59:20, 19/05/20 »
It can and I've used two of the strings once in a storm in France.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #12 on: 14:32:35, 19/05/20 »
Helm 1? I would be interested to hear what you think of it.

PS - I hate a footprint in a tent porch, just catches all the rain and condensation that drips off the edge of the fly, and generally collects mud and mess.

It is actually the Helm 2 Compact Richard.
I never considered the footprint could cause issues like that.
I guess I need to see what the groundsheet is like and then weigh up my options.

Stube

« Reply #13 on: 14:47:26, 19/05/20 »
I always use a footprint - but they are also custom ponchos.
As a footprint the porch area is covered which makes the tent more confortaable when holed up in bad (wet) weather.
As a poncho it means that I only ever need a lightweight breatheable jacket which saves on weight.
I would never use a dedicated footprint unless I knew I would be pitching on flints or gravel.
« Last Edit: 14:51:35, 19/05/20 by Stube »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:19:34, 19/05/20 »
I've never had 'rain in the porch' other than a mess that I've made. Sounds like an illness? The reason I like to porch area covered is partly to do with my age and flexibility, I unzip the inner door, swivel my body around and place my heels on the dry porch groundsheet. I can then put my socks on, then my boots, tie my laces and then get out of the tent properly. Often in the morning, I also use the porch area to organise my clothes etc before packing my rucksack for the day. On a wet morning it can be a bit more tricky but I still manage.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy