Author Topic: BBC4 at 9 tonight  (Read 2700 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: BBC4 at 9 tonight
« Reply #30 on: 10:06:19, 22/02/21 »
Gives me a mental picture of Keswick high street in summer, folks parading up and down in gear suitable for an attempt on a Himalayan summit with the polystyrene  filled haversack - oops sorry, should this be in the small rant thread ?  :P
I have come to realise that there are 2 groups of walkers. Those that you describe are all-the-gear-no-idea and are better equipped than I am but don't know what they are doing. The other group are less well equipped than I am and are a danger to themselves and to MRT.
I am, you will be unsurprised to hear, always correct.

There is of course a third group who are up in the hills with no supplies and wearing nothing but 2 flimsy bits of polyester, but fell runners are a hard to quantify mixture of amazing and bonkers.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 10:19:06, 22/02/21 »
My mental picture goes back to when I hiked the West Highland Way. I was sitting on a bench in a car park on the edge of the lake when a BMW car parked almost in front of me. Mum and Dad got out with two 8 to 10ish-year-old children. They opened the boot and all started to put on what looked like the very best and bright clothing, hats, and boots. The children wore green wellies. They then wandered down to the water's edge walked to the left and right, maybe 100 yds in each direction, the kids then ran around for a while and mum and dad stopped to admire the view. After all of this activity, about 20 mins later, they all strolled back to the car, undressed again, Mum folded everything neatly in the boot, and off they drove.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 11:42:03, 22/02/21 »
I have lots of memories like those of Ridge and Gunwharfman.
Trudging all day up into the Rhinogs with a backpack, wearing waterproofs in wet mist and finally emerging above the cloud inversion, where a fell runner wearing just shorts, tee shirt and trainers popped out of the mist behind me.
The farmer (or was he?) who passed me high up in the middle of the Carneddau dressed in an old long-sleeved white shirt and equally old black casual trousers, not carrying anything and looking like someone out for an afternoon stroll.
The couple in a lane near Betws-y-Coed, striding along in brand new shiny gear and boots, a couple of hundred yards from their brand new shiny Range Rover.
DoE teens seen numerous times struggling along with huge packs and clad in fleeces and waterproofs on relatively mild days when I only had a microfleece shirt on my top.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 22:03:52, 22/02/21 »
Seems we have wandered off topic a little, but hey it's fun.  I'm sure any who have walked the SWCP past High Cliff will have found the pub. provided by some local entrepreneurial spirit.  A Range rover parked in a field on the path with a couple of camping chairs and tables for the punters.  O0

Most surprises I ever was. A poorly planed first attempt to climb mount Baldly.  I was 23, had no map and no compass just bought a few butties and bottles of water from the store and set off. Simply walking up from the condo I was staying at, in Pomona.  I reach the summit of Frankish Peak 1245m,  to discover, it was a very long way from there to the top. So I stayed there a while enjoying the view of LA and watching a local Pilot flying his stunt plane in a very entertaining way below me.  Then to my amazement A 4x4 appeared and after a discussion about crazy Brits and Rattle snakes I got a lift back down on a dirt road on the other side of the ridge I had no idea was there. :-[

A few days later I took the Cable car up and waked to the correct summit. Oh the adventures of youth. ;D

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 07:12:43, 23/02/21 »
There is of course a third group who are up in the hills with no supplies and wearing nothing but 2 flimsy bits of polyester, but fell runners are a hard to quantify mixture of amazing and bonkers.

🤣
Fell-runners seem to be exempt from any of the rules of common sense and self preservation.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 00:34:48, 24/02/21 »

I view fell runners more as walkers, who travel quickly.   If your only out for a couple of hours walking do you take all your kit? 

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 17:10:06, 24/02/21 »
Its 4hrs 9min now, for the 27mile Welsh 3000s round, that's what i really call travelling quickly

Eyelet

« Reply #37 on: 19:55:43, 24/02/21 »
If your only out for a couple of hours walking do you take all your kit?

The answer is of course ... it all depends when and where the couple of hours are going to take you. Ask yourself the "What if?" question.

This UKC article by a runner who slipped on ice and self-rescued after sustaining an ankle fracture is worth a read on such decisions this time of year: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/skills/series/running/my_winter_accident_-_a_cautionary_tale-13350

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 01:16:10, 25/02/21 »
The answer is of course ... it all depends when and where the couple of hours are going to take you. Ask yourself the "What if?" question.

This UKC article by a runner who slipped on ice and self-rescued after sustaining an ankle fracture is worth a read on such decisions this time of year: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/skills/series/running/my_winter_accident_-_a_cautionary_tale-13350
I always try to cover the risks.  However if you are out in the wilds for less time then things like weather are less likely to catch you out.  You need less food and drink too.  All these things mean you can travel lighter, without increasing the overall risk.  How much lighter should your kit list be is the one we need to ask ourselves?  Not that much is my own opinion.  So I carry my wife's day sack with a layer of spare clothes even if I'm planning to jog the whole route and only be a few hours.  In the winter I carry full kit and walk.  To old to jog with a full ruck sack on my back.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 01:20:48, 25/02/21 »
Its 4hrs 9min now, for the 27mile Welsh 3000s round, that's what i really call travelling quickly

The Dartmoor high ground marathon record is just under 4 hours now. Took me over 7 though but what a great day out.  Hope to do the Welsh 3000s one day.  Still not done all the Scottish 4000s though so could be a while. So many hills and so little time on this fine earth.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy