Author Topic: Still much to learn  (Read 2390 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Still much to learn
« Reply #15 on: 17:05:03, 03/11/19 »
I've often wondered why they don't put foot straps or lace hooks on waterproof trousers - it would eliminate needing gaiters altogether in wet weather.

Can't say I altogether agree there. Gaiters fit quite tightly around the boots and they do actually stop any water getting into them, or making your socks wet, if you quickly step through a big puddle or very quickly splash across a stream.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:14:43, 03/11/19 »
I find if I am wearing gaiters and put my waterproof trousers over the top (of course!) that my lower legs get too hot and I get a heat rash. I generally take my gaiters off before putting the trousers on. Normally, I don't think both are necessary.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:12:39, 03/11/19 »
That's probably the reason they're not manufactured fernman, although my waterproof legs fit reasonably snugly round the ankle after I've closed the press stud (think flares converted to drainpipes-ish  ;D  )

Maybe the bottoms could incorporate a gaiter style design .... GUNWHARFMAN .... we need your inventive design skills.....

Happyhiker, I'm similar, if I wear gaiters and overtrousers, my legs just overheat massively - causes my achilles tendon (damaged) no end of trouble.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:34:33, 03/11/19 »
Happyhiker, I'm similar, if I wear gaiters and overtrousers, my legs just overheat massively - causes my achilles tendon (damaged) no end of trouble.
That's why I would like proper short over trousers with zips so I could get them on easily, but I could leave my gaiters on and just put my over trousers as and when it rains. I know I could cut down a zipless pair but I would still need a velco closure below the knee to go over the gaiter.
What I really want is the old walking breeches in a water proof material with side zips. I suppose I can dream.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:44:35, 03/11/19 »
Do you mean like waterproof plusfours / plustwos?

Now that is something one of our young design students could take up and run with.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Pitboot

« Reply #20 on: 10:34:48, 04/11/19 »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:09:38, 04/11/19 »
Too little, too late, too bad......

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:33:24, 04/11/19 »
Do you mean like waterproof plusfours / plustwos?

Now that is something one of our young design students could take up and run with.

Yes I do. I doubt that the young design students have never heard of them so won't have any idea of what we are talking about.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:55:17, 04/11/19 »
When I first started to wear my gaiters under my walking trousers my legs also became uncomfortable so my wife's friend sewed a 2" wide soft material around the inside top of the gaiter, they are comfortable now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy