Author Topic: newbie... planning lakes trip  (Read 2024 times)

Wandering_Werner

newbie... planning lakes trip
« on: 21:10:15, 01/05/07 »
I've been reading the forum and am glad to have found some fantastically enthusiastic and knowledgable people.

Anyway, I'm going on a solo trip to the lakes and I'm cycling there in June. It's probably going to be about 80+ miles (probably be around 100 with using country roads) but I've done 90% of the route twice before so it's not a problem. I'm a long time fell walker (well I'm 19 but you know what I mean) and am thinking of wild camping on the fells for the first time.

I'm pretty excited about the idea of it but am I being a bit naive/ambitious? Is it safe for a 19 year old? I've read everything there is to read on the etiquette of wild camping but is it taboo even at a couple of thousand feet? I was under the impression it wasn't but have occasionally heard otherwise.

Apart from worries, which might not be so big if a friend decides to come, I'm completely clueless about equipment. I've loooked into the terra nova laser and am prepared to spend that kind of money, but is that the sort of thing I should be using? And sleeping bags, can anyone recommend one. I've already got one but it packs up way too big.

I know this post is asking a lot of stuff that can be gleaned and researched, but there's so much info out there for this hobby that it's far better to get an opinion of people who've been there, done that. So any help would be genuinely appreciated.

Snowman

Re: newbie... planning lakes trip
« Reply #1 on: 10:01:07, 02/05/07 »
Hi WW, and welcome.

Firstly, with a few exceptions (which don't include the Lakes) you cannot legally 'wild camp' in England, without the permission of the landowner.    Since you are going to find it difficult to find the landowner of a particular spot in the lakes, technically you can't camp.   

However the reality is different, and generally if you're camping at high level, and leave no sign of your presence the next day, no-one is particularly interested.    In fact once when I was passing Angle Tarn (near High Street in the Lakes), I rather got the impression it was a bona fide campsite there were so many tents.

Safety?    Now there's a question.    If you're worried about the local yobs, most of them wouldn't climb 10 feet let alone 2,000.    There is of course the occasional rabid sheep, and rampant bunny, but if the landowner did catch you, the worst he would probably do is order you off.   However if you are concerned about safety, as an alternative there are a lot of Youth Hostels in the Lakes where you would be safe, including some very remote ones such as Black Sail.

Now tents, that's another question.    There's been a thread on wild camping on this forum with plenty of hints, tips and usage reports.    Take a look there.

With regard to sleeping bags, I personally have an old version of the Vango Ultralite 1100, which is warm enough for snow conditions (I've been there), but a down bag will be lighter and pack smaller.    I wouldn't really recommend anything lower than a 3 season, unless you intend camping in July and only in July or want to buy several bags.  I have considered upgrading to a down bag myself, but have discarded the idea on the basis that the loss of weight/pack size is not huge, whereas the cost is.   However if you've decided you need a new bag certainly consider down if your budget will go to it.

There's also been a number of posts on this forum regarding gear in general.    Take a look there and if there's any other queries just ask.    In fact I agree with you that asking here is probably the best way to get info, especially on gear.    The walking magazine reviews are quite good for getting an idea of a product's features, but it is doubtful that they are tested over extended periods while this forum's members have probably used their stuff for years.

S.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:01:29, 02/05/07 »
Hi there, WW,

Welcome to the foum ...

So are you walking the lakes or cycling it?  Either way you need to be conscious of weight.  Now then, before my beautiful, sexy, sleek £1000.00 touring bike was nicked by some cap headed munster, I was more into long distance cycling than long distance walking, and this was when I did the majority of my 'wild camping'.

Not wishing to disagree with the right honourable Snowman (Blister nods head at Snowman), I wouldn't purchase a new sleeping bag.  If the one you have now is light enough, just too floppy with excess air and folds, I'd buy a compression sack and fasten it to the rack on your bike.  Personally, I've had the same sleeping bag for ages (so cheap, it's doesn't even have a name anywhere on it, and I find new, exciting ways of reducing it's size.  No idea what season it is, but I've never had a problem with it.  ;)

Snowman's dead right about the legal aspect of camping, but like it says in the wild/ad hoc camping thread, the thing to remember is settle late and leave early, and if you can use some cover - a wall, some trees, etc .. I've never had any problems - a few wierd looks mind.  I tend to leave as soon as I'm awake, then settle down a half hour later or so and have something to eat.

Personally, I don't think safety is really a factor, but common sense is.  The danger of doing anything which involves you being away from people, is knowing when you're over your head.  If your going alone, make sure you tell someone where you are on any certain day, if you expect to be 'silent' for some days, then make sure you tell someone when to expect you back.

Where are you cycling from, I take it you live in the Lakes already?

All the best, mate  ;D

Wandering_Werner

« Reply #3 on: 19:10:21, 02/05/07 »
hi blister, good to see there's another cyclist. Walking's great but it's even better if you can bypass using a motor to get to your destination.

I'm planning on cycling to the lakes and maybe to different bits of it, but the bike will stay at the bottom of the hills (I haven't worked out where yet). I'll probably just gravitate to my favourite bit (langdale area) but I'll probably start around Ullswater and maybe take the Glenridding approach to Helvellyn.

Too bad about your nicked bike. No insurance? It's curious that you did most of your wild camping *with* a bike. I thought having a bike would complicate things quite a bit. I've heard of some hardcore long distance cyclists (my mechanic, well he's not solely mine, I'm not pro lol) who just kip in farmers fields at the end of the day.

Thankfully I've got a friend who's pretty into this stuff (not sure about the wild camping) but he's done the ride before, so I might not be going solo.

I'm cycling from Darlington, so I've got the Pennines to contend with. I've also got the coast to coast penned in for June. It's going to be a busy month.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:31:32, 02/05/07 »
Alright, pal,

Well you're going to have a busy old time aren't you?  Do you mind me asking about your level of fitness and experience?  I mean you sound like the distance cycling part is nothing new, but have you tried multi-hill cycling before - a proper killer!  :P

I'm fairly new to long distance walking, and haven't had much cause to stay out anywhere, it's only in the last couple of years that I've done it.  When I was cycling everywhere, I would generally pick a destination that would take all day to get to and then crash there and cycle back the next day, always by a different route.  I tell you, it used to drive me mad dragging my bike into a forest to hide the tent!  ;D

You make a valid point about cycling to where the walking begins, just wondering how viable it is ..  :-\

Good luck.

Wandering_Werner

« Reply #5 on: 19:42:06, 02/05/07 »
My level of fitness is OK, nothing to brag about. It's just my age and weight that's on my side really. It'll definitely be a new experience, which is why I want to do it. Not sure about cycling and climbing in the same day, although it did cross my mind. I'm not averse to using a YH or any other building. Might have to, to leave my bike. Two other options: I've got a friend with a holiday home nearby - could leave it there or I could take my older and crappy looking 7 gear racing bike and lock it up somewhere. I leave it all over the place and it's never been stolen (yet).

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:02:22, 05/05/07 »
Hello and welcome WW

If you need a new s/bag a good lightweight and packable one is the cumerlus (hope thats spelt right)
As for camping, i find as long as your not too noticable your o.k  ;)

Looks like you have a busy summer, hope you have a great time :)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy