Author Topic: Yorkshire Dales NP - 1970s public information film (PIF) - Do you remember it ?  (Read 12502 times)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
If you go to this page and scroll down a bit there's a public info film that I remember, but it's to do with The Cleveland Way.

http://carlturner.blogspot.co.uk/2007/08/witches-cast-their-spell-over-many.html

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Innominate Man... was the PIF that you're referring to narrated by Frank Windsor (of Z-Cars fame)?
That's the one  O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
If you go to this page and scroll down a bit there's a public info film that I remember, but it's to do with The Cleveland Way.

http://carlturner.blogspot.co.uk/2007/08/witches-cast-their-spell-over-many.html
I think they were both out at the same time but luckily somebody kept a recording of this one. Unfortunately for me the one I'm looking for is a little more obscure.
I am glad other people recall it.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
I'm fairly certain this isn't the one you're talking about but it's of the same ilk :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2NnrKXOiys

:)
Thanks Mel, it certainly is (of the same ilk)- and a very good film too. I read somewhere that the railways had a dept producing these - must have been before Beeching !
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Peter

• Veteran Member
(ever so) slightly off-topic, who remembers Reginald Mole-Husband showing us how to reverse a car into a tight space?

I found myself driving around a lot, searching for a parking spot that had a man with a ladder.. ::)
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Well, no luck I'm afraid - a few folks with decent memories do know what I am talking about but I think it will have to be consigned to the waste bin of my memory. Seems I am not going to find out who the music backing the PIF was by.

So, to change the tone a little (and I'll search for Reginald Mole-Husband shortly, possibly somewhere off to the side of 'Petunia')
Does anyone remember this cool dude ?     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MshadyDLjnk

"Hey, I'd love a Babycham" ...... yes Mrs I did used to like a Babycham when I first knew her  ;D
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Lobbygobbler

I also remember this PIF and have been trying to find it myself. As you say it was very evocative and reminds me of my childhood when my family would go out for drives to the countryside every Sunday. I have a feeling that the haunting music which accompanied the film may be taken from Vivaldi's - The Four Seasons. I'm sure I've heard it on one of my CD's, so I'm going to go through them this weekend and try to find it. Everything you say about the film is correct and until now I haven't met anyone who remembers it. I'm 54 years of age .
Will let you know if I find the piece of music but if you or anyone else knows where I can get hold of a copy of the PIF, please would let me know.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
I also remember this PIF and have been trying to find it myself. As you say it was very evocative and reminds me of my childhood when my family would go out for drives to the countryside every Sunday. I have a feeling that the haunting music which accompanied the film may be taken from Vivaldi's - The Four Seasons. I'm sure I've heard it on one of my CD's, so I'm going to go through them this weekend and try to find it. Everything you say about the film is correct and until now I haven't met anyone who remembers it. I'm 54 years of age .
Will let you know if I find the piece of music but if you or anyone else knows where I can get hold of a copy of the PIF, please would let me know.
Will do and good to hear from you. It must be just something our particular generation saw while on school holidays.
Every now and again I have another trawl through the web but still nothing ever comes up. I tried the Yorkshire film archive etc..etc ... still nothing.
At least I know I didn't imagine it  ;D
But while checking a few really good youtube things came up - like the music for Robinson Crusoe and White Horses - all of which were shown during school holiday periods and which I vaguely remembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE10msGsCn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtCNbERKvMs
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Lobbygobbler

That's uncanny! I was going to look for the music to these 2 programmes which always seemed to be on TV during the school holidays. Again, the music to these 2 programmes  has a real evocative quality and takes me back to my childhood. It must be an age thing, as I move further into my fifties I seem to recall a lot of things like this from childhood. I was always a big fan of Jack Hargreaves and have recently purchased the DVD collections of 'Out of Town.' These were great educational TV programmes before everything started to be 'dummed down'

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
I was always a big fan of Jack Hargreaves and have recently purchased the DVD collections of 'Out of Town.' These were great educational TV programmes before everything started to be 'dummed down'

How !!
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Old Alan

Hi, Just been searching the web for the TV advert myself and came across your thread. I've looked numerous times over recent years but never managed to find it :-\ . As for your question; the music used in the advert was Vaughan Williams 'Fantasia on Greensleeves' I think they may have also used part of 'The lark Ascending' Both very English and very evocative as you say.

It's strange how something like that can get under your skin and leave a lasting impression; I suppose it's due to the skill of the programme makers and also perhaps the age we are when we experience it.  Although only short, it was a perfect combination of film and music. I too am in my fifties and would love to see it again so I'll carry on the search.

Hope this has been of some help.

Fi25

Hi, Just been searching the web for the TV advert myself and came across your thread. I've looked numerous times over recent years but never managed to find it :-\ . As for your question; the music used in the advert was Vaughan Williams 'Fantasia on Greensleeves' I think they may have also used part of 'The lark Ascending' Both very English and very evocative as you say.

It's strange how something like that can get under your skin and leave a lasting impression; I suppose it's due to the skill of the programme makers and also perhaps the age we are when we experience it.  Although only short, it was a perfect combination of film and music. I too am in my fifties and would love to see it again so I'll carry on the search.

Hope this has been of some help.

Fi25

Re 'Old Alan's' quote - this is EXACTLY the film I am looking for now. The one with the Vaughan Williams music on it. I appreciate this is a really old thread, but if anyone has found that film, I'd love to know.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy