Author Topic: TR 3 waterfalls walk from Bowlees, Durham Fri 4 Sep 20  (Read 1552 times)

April

• Veteran Member
No camping for us at the weekend, a dodgy forecast had us doing day walks. We had a trip out to County Durham, only an hour and ten minute drive away to see a few waterfalls. We parked at Bowlees Visitor Centre and made a £5 card donation for parking. First stop was Summerhill Force and Gibson's Cave north of the Visitor Centre.

Falls on Bow Lee Beck

Summerhill Force and Gibson's Cave

Legend has it that a lovable rogue whose surname was Gibson hid behind the waterfall to escape police constables from Barnard Castle. I don't know what crimes he committed or if he was caught!

We walked back passed the visitor centre, across the road, through a field where a little girl was holding the gate open for us and a group of walkers in front of us. We thanked her and told her she was doing a grand job. Once over the Wynch Bridge we were on the Pennine Way. The group of walkers were at the first viewpoint so we walked by them, we would have a look on the way back.

This is a side on view of Low Force and I think it is the best view of it

We chatted to a walker doing the Pennine Way as we walked toward High Force. He was carrying a huge pack and we were amazed at his speed, he overtook us easily even though we only had day packs! We saw him again at High Force, he was having a break enjoying the view. Nice fellow he was, I wonder where he is now.

High Force

We carried on westward next to the river trying to find some shelter from the wind for some lunch. We found some behind a rocky outcrop near Bleabeck Force. We didn't see this waterfall because we retraced our steps after lunch after rain started to fall. It didn't last long however.

Falls on the River Tees just above the main Low Force Fall

View from the Wynch Bridge viewpoint

We managed to get a shot from the viewpoint near the Wynch Bridge despite someone taking a photo of someone jumping from it. They must have missed the signs saying not to jump from the bridge because of dangerous currents.

Route map

Our walk was Bowlees - Summerhill Force - Bowlees - Low Force - High Force - near Bleackbeck Force - High Force - Low Force - Bowlees. 5.4 miles and 204m ascent. Lovely to go back to see these waterfalls, it must be 15 or 20 years since I was last here.
Hate will never win

geordie33

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 3 waterfalls walk from Bowlees, Durham Fri 4 Sep 20
« Reply #1 on: 07:55:11, 09/09/20 »
A fabulous area.We do a circular by going up the Pennine Way towards Forest in Teesdale crossing the Tees and returning via Dirt Pit.About 9 miles from memory and very popular with groups I have led.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:13:48, 09/09/20 »
Lovely pics.
I don't know why Gibson had to hide, I thought you could do what ever you wanted in Barnard Castle and the PM would say that you were innocent.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:30:36, 09/09/20 »
Lovely photos, April - always a good plan to go to see some waterfalls after heavy rain. High Force in particular is a spectacular fall.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:52:12, 09/09/20 »
Great stuff again, long time since I saw high force, will be over thirty years.
Five quid for parking 😭 . Never paid that in my life.  :o
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:24:54, 09/09/20 »
We do a circular by going up the Pennine Way towards Forest in Teesdale crossing the Tees and returning via Dirt Pit.

We were going to do that or a very similar walk but we were sick of the wind in our faces and it started raining. Pair of lightweights we are  :D

I don't know why Gibson had to hide, I thought you could do what ever you wanted in Barnard Castle and the PM would say that you were innocent.

;D  He might not have thought to say he had a problem with his eyes  :)

High Force in particular is a spectacular fall.

It is spectacular. I have yet to visit Cauldron Snout, a bit further west.

It was a voluntary payment, they ask for donations to maintain the visitor centre and car park. I was happy to give some money. I'm not from Yorkshire mind  ;)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:55:05, 09/09/20 »
great pics again Ape O0
Those waterfalls are lovely,

Yeah you are that tight you leave your car parked on the road instead of your driveway just to get your moneys worth out of ya tax  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:33:28, 09/09/20 »
Great photos April  -  looks a beautiful walk    :)    Love riverside walks and waterfalls

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:04:50, 09/09/20 »
Shortly after attending a bad back course, where I decided to try doing walking rather than other exercises, I was up here, turned around and there was the sign Pennine Way.... wouldn't mind starting to do that for my 'treatment', and hey that's what started me off on my fascination with the PW and all the other walks Im attempting! Back has greatly improved since, just need to get these legs back working again!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:48:26, 10/09/20 »
Those waterfalls are lovely,

:)  They are

Love riverside walks and waterfalls

Me too, there is something about the sound of water that makes you happy

that's what started me off on my fascination with the PW and all the other walks Im attempting! Back has greatly improved since, just need to get these legs back working again!

The whole area is lovely, I'd forgotten how nice it was. Good luck getting your legs working  :)
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:47:40, 10/09/20 »
Some great waterfalls there April O0
I read the title wrong though I thought this was the third day of a wild camp spent ages looking for parts one and two  :D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:05:47, 11/09/20 »
I missed this (must lighten up on Troll Patrol).

Lovely waterfalls, plenty of water too  :)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:26:05, 12/09/20 »
Some nice photos of waterfalls; I always struggle photographing moving water.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 06:40:21, 13/09/20 »
I read the title wrong though I thought this was the third day of a wild camp spent ages looking for parts one and two  :D

;D No wild camping last weekend or this. It's been blowing a gale here overnight  :(

I missed this (must lighten up on Troll Patrol).

I must have missed your troll patrolling  :D

Some nice photos of waterfalls; I always struggle photographing moving water.

Thanks Lee  O0
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:33:37, 13/09/20 »
Great report and photos April, really like High Force photo and the Wynch bridge shot O0  Do you find river walks are generally hard to come by? In Ireland I find that there are very few river walks that I could recommend.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy