Author Topic: Garmin Oregon 700 'Help'  (Read 1176 times)

Tam911

Garmin Oregon 700 'Help'
« on: 19:05:23, 06/02/21 »
Hi,  My husband and I are fairly new to walking and are really enjoying it, however we were covering quite a few miles and decided to buy a Garmin Oregon 700 as the maps on our phones drain the battery too quick. We are both ok with technology but seem to be struggling with using this and was wondering if anyone out there with any knowledge of these would be willing to meet up with us for a walk (when lock down is over) to helps us understand it and get the best use out of it we can(it was not cheap ) and  i feel we could be doing some things wrong and there is also endless amounts of settings that we are unsure we have right.  We live in Camberley Surrey but would happily meet anywhere in the Surrey area if there is someone out there that could help?      Best Regards Tilly

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin Oregon 700 'Help'
« Reply #1 on: 20:10:07, 06/02/21 »
Well perhaps as a start you could explain your issues, or at least the major ones.  I'm in Sussex so in due course would happily meet somewhere.
« Last Edit: 20:14:29, 06/02/21 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:22:29, 06/02/21 »
There are masses of tutorials on Youtube for the Oregon series. If it is the basic setup for each category
In the setup menu then a great site is www.navigation-professionel.de which gives a recommended setting for each item.
There are also companies in this country which offer online courses and support at very reasonable costs. A friend of mine used one and found it really good.
It's all uphill from here.

Eyelet

« Reply #3 on: 00:54:54, 07/02/21 »
GPSrChive is another source of information about Garmin handheld GPSr devices: https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP%2066/index.htm
but do ask some questions. SUSSAMB is a mine of information and helped me in the past O0

Tam911

« Reply #4 on: 14:21:19, 07/02/21 »
 O0  thank you all for the replies and suggestions, there are various issues and it is quite frustrating as im usually quite good with technology, but hey ho we will get there in the end.  Maybe we are expecting too much out of it :-\

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:32:01, 07/02/21 »
The Oregon 700 is a very powerful and versatile unit. It does take time to get used to it so stick with it.
The basic functions that I use it for are
* Downloading tracks from my laptop, either from my own mapping software or from online sites.  
* Recording a walk and then uploading to my laptop.
* Using the trip computer during a walk. I have it set up to display location, distance to destination, ETA at
    destination, moving average and overall average.
The main screen i have set to show the trip odometer at the top with the where to, map, track manager, compass and trip computer icons. These cover all I need.
I am happy to help if i can.
« Last Edit: 14:35:02, 07/02/21 by Slowcoach »

colin357

« Reply #6 on: 17:00:43, 09/02/21 »
The Oregon series (I have the earlier 600 model) are very responsive and have lovely bright touchscreens but,unfortunately, they are very power hungry. I suggest you buy some Panasonic Eneloop Pro batteries which are expensive but are generally regarded as the best available. You also need a good microprocessor-controlled charger. A poor charger can shorten the life of the batteries considerably.Carry spares with you and take care not to dislodge the memory card when changing batteries, some suggest covering the card latch with a small piece of electrician`s tape. I mark the +ve end of the battery compartment with a small tippex blob so you can easily orientate the cells correctly.You will need to manage power usage on very long walks if you want to avoid changing batteries. Avoid using the backlight too much and do not keep the screen on continuously.
Lastly make sure you set the unit to the correct battery type -precharged NiMH.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:20:25, 09/02/21 »
The Oregon series (I have the earlier 600 model) are very responsive and have lovely bright touchscreens but,unfortunately, they are very power hungry. I suggest you buy some Panasonic Eneloop Pro batteries which are expensive but are generally regarded as the best available

I agree that the oregons are heavy on batteries. The best batteries I have found are Ikea Ladda batteries, these are are 2650 mah and are made in the same factories as the Eneloops but are considerably cheaper and you can get a purpose made charger fir them. They recharge pretty quickly too.

Eyelet

« Reply #8 on: 18:18:30, 09/02/21 »
I agree with Slowcoach and Colin357 about Panasonic Eneloop Pro batteries (the black ones) - I use them in my GPSr and headtorch too. As others have advised get a decent charger for them - the Panasonic BQ-CC55 is a good choice. As well as Ikea's LADDA batteries, the Amazon basics "green top" 2400mAh NiMH rechargeable batteries are also said to be made in the same factory in Japan, but don't seem to last quite as long as the Eneloops (haven't tried the Laddas). Which ever you choose, buy them from a reputable outlet as there are counterfeit Eneloop batteries circulating.

As others have advised get a decent charger for them - the Panasonic BQ-CC55 is a good choice.

When it is really cold in sub-zero temperatures, I sometimes swap the Eneloops for Energiser Ultimate Lithium batteries which have a better cold weather performance, but are unfortunately not rechargeable (and you must remember to change the battery type in settings).

I have also sent you a PM Tilly.

Tam911

« Reply #9 on: 18:22:57, 09/02/21 »
Hi, thanks again, yes i brought the Eneloop batteries (not cheap) and will definitely be taking spares as your right it eats batteries, although if they run out half way through a route , if we put new ones in will it carry on with the route?.  Also what a great idea regarding the tipex, my eyes are not that young anymore  :( 

Tam911

« Reply #10 on: 18:25:09, 09/02/21 »
..... I bought the white eneloop batteries, i didn't realise there was a difference, are these no good, they were the same price but the black ones had sold out on Amazon ?

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:29:01, 09/02/21 »
Hi, thanks again, yes i brought the Eneloop batteries (not cheap) and will definitely be taking spares as your right it eats batteries, although if they run out half way through a route , if we put new ones in will it carry on with the route?.  Also what a great idea regarding the tipex, my eyes are not that young anymore  :(
changing the batteries will not affect following a track or recording one.

Tam911

« Reply #12 on: 18:36:43, 09/02/21 »
 O0

Eyelet

« Reply #13 on: 18:37:12, 09/02/21 »
The white "classic" Eneloops are just as good a quality battery but they don't have the same capacity as the black Eneloop Pros, and so don't last as long in the device. The white ones are 1900mAh compared to 2500mAh for the black. The white ones have the advantage that they can be recharged over 2000 times whereas the black ones last for 500 charges - but you are still going to get at least a couple of years out of them!
« Last Edit: 19:21:57, 09/02/21 by Eyelet »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:56:21, 09/02/21 »
I bought the white ones around 10 years ago and they are still going strong but in my Etrex 20 a pair will easily last 3 long days  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy