Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 2373 times)

Mark Sabine

Hi everyone
« on: 16:02:12, 05/05/19 »
At long last I've joined up. I'm based in Sheffield on the edge of the Peak District. I'm a 56 year old plodder currently laid up with a brand new hip and planning my next long distance trip. Are there any others who have had a hip done? I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to get back to where I was a year ago and frankly I could do with a bit if reassurance, or a reality check. I've managed a good few two week- 200 milers over the past decade, despite my eccentric navigation. I was thinking of making the Aran coastal way the next walk as I can always dip out if I'm in trouble or head in for a few good hills if I'm fit again. Any help from kindred spirits would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very forum savvy so please excuse any clumsiness.. All the best. Mark

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: 16:13:30, 05/05/19 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm originally from Stannington but now exiled down south. Not me personally but a friend of mine had them done in their late 40s and my father-in-law in his 70s  and both were amazed at how they got back to their previous fitness levels.

Hope all goes well for you.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:50:24, 05/05/19 »
Welcome from Aberdeenshire. I am the same age as you, but still have both my own hips at the moment. I know several people who have had hip replacements, but none who do 200 mile walks.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:55:01, 05/05/19 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast     :)

I watch these videos by someone who had hip surgery and is now back to his previous level of walking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hs0heM_OF0

Mark Sabine

« Reply #4 on: 18:52:01, 05/05/19 »
Thanks everyone. I'm a Londoner who escaped North 20 years ago when the walking bug bit. Why being cold wet scared exhausted and lost is so appealing is still a mystery, but after 6 months without it I realise I'm addicted for life.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:56:48, 05/05/19 »
Hello Mark,
Welcome from North Yorkshire.
Again, not me personally but  a good friend has had both hips 'done' - about 7 or 8 years apart. He was early 60s originally and last year (his last op) he was just into his 70s.
The first time he was worried he'd struggle with mobility, but he ended up walking as far as he always had. The last op was a little more worrying - he knew the walking would make it worth it but given the more advanced years he did worry whether his recuperation/physio would be harder.
He needn't have worried:- he is a great advocate for anyone considering such operations.
Now he knows he is going to be able to walk for many a good year (10+ at least) whereas without either op he would not be walking at all, literally.
Good luck and just think of how much better your walking will be afterwards.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:12:45, 06/05/19 »
When I last hiked the Tour du Mont Blanc I met two USA blokes en route, both were over 80, one had both hips replaced, the other had one done only a few months before. We were united in the need for food and wine at the time!

Mark Sabine

« Reply #7 on: 11:34:49, 06/05/19 »
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm a spring chicken at 56 but after 40 years as a chippy the body is probably closer to 80 ::)
Keeping busy planning walks and a rehab trip to Scotland looks likely before getting back to keeping the taxman happy. Very envious of the Mont Blanc hike! We've managed a few good stomps in the Jura and Bavaria but I've got very limited experience of real snow and ice. Never too late though!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:53:53, 06/05/19 »
I hiked the Tour du Mont Blanc in July, a small amount of snow around but nothing to worry about. For comfort hiking so easy to do, hotels, B & Bs, campsites and Refuges everywhere! More on this route than I've ever experienced on any other route that I've hiked.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:35:51, 06/05/19 »
Welcome from Cumbria Mark. No help regarding hips I'm afraid but I will point out your post wasn't clumsy and I wouldn't have known you weren't forum savvy if you hadn't told us. Hope your Arran Coastal walk goes well if you decide to do it. Stick around and tell us how it goes!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:33:30, 06/05/19 »
Hi Mark and welcome from the Peak District O0

I can't advise you as I've never had to have anything replaced...(shouldn't tempt fate, I know)....but I can wish you all the best for your recovery!
Hope you're out and about walking soon.

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Mark Sabine

« Reply #11 on: 17:58:19, 06/05/19 »
Thanks again everyone. My first goal is the trig on Brown Edge which I can almost see from our house on the edge of Sheffield. I'll hopefully be doing bigger circles as time goes on and aim for my target of 36 miles, which is the furthest this plodder has ever done in one go. I stand in awe of the whippets who do 40 plus! You've all really helped me feel much more positive about getting back fit and I'm going to start sorting gear and waxing boots in anticipation :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:52:47, 06/05/19 »

Welcome to the forum from Orkney, Mark.

Good luck with your planned walk.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:28:17, 07/05/19 »
Welcome from Liverpool, Mark.  It would be interesting to hear your progress from the hip replacement - please keep us updated.  I have a vested interest as I suspect one of mine will need replacing at some point.

and101

« Reply #14 on: 10:00:28, 07/05/19 »
Hi Mark and welcome from Merseyside.

It's good to see that the forum is bringing in new members like myself.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy